Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-25-2004, 12:14 PM   #16
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
well maybe instead of nascar everyfucking day, NBC, Fox, and the other majors could show some old F1. This is why there is no interest, its never on tv, but speed channel
I remember several years ago (2 or 3) ABC was schedule to show 4 races on TV. US, Canada, Monaco and something else. But ratings were so low that they ended up just cancelling the last race.

In terms of another US race, they were talking about maybe in Long Beach again. That would be pretty cool. The street circuit there is always nice.

There is also negotiations for a Mexico GP too.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 PM   #17
FerrariKiller
Regular User

I remember several years ago (2 or 3) ABC was schedule to show 4 races on TV. US, Canada, Monaco and something else. But ratings were so low that they ended up just cancelling the last race.
That TV package was a joke. They races were tape delayed and the coverage was horrible. Bernie needs to get F1 off SPEED and onto basic cable. I don't think that the networks will ever cater to the F1 fans needs, because there aren't enough of us.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:43 PM   #18
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by chipanggo
if they were to add another US race in the f1 calendar, i'd like to see either long beach or watkins glen. i think there is a big chance for the US to host another grand prix.
And the fact that it is 13 miles long. . .

But to answer to answer the original question, I am not sure. 19 races is already a pretty lengthy season. But I would love to see one closer to the west coast.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:18 AM   #19
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

There was a race in Dallas, TX a while back...I have no idea when it was but I think it would be cool if they had it here again since I live in the area...

I think once people saw how much faster the F1 cars are compared with Nascar and how much more skilled the drivers are...then they would watch F1 instead..which would take some time but I think that there would be plenty of immediate intrest if they had more races here in the U.S.
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 AM   #20
DjPtsatsot
Regular User

I simply do not thing a new york track would be as kool as Monaco! No road track in the us would be able to beat it, and because of that i dont really think they should do it.
DjPtsatsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #21
Apac102
Regular User

Least could give it a shot. F1 needs more road courses, and a road course in new york sounds pretty damn exciting. And who knows, maybe in a big city like that, it would start more enthusists of F1 like NBC studios there or CBS studios. I would definitely want to see a New York GP. At least they can't crash into the twin towers (too soon? ).
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #22
Skyliner
Regular User

Quote:

Skyliner wrote:
Forget about the A1 ring.... they should race the old nurburgring!!!! that would be fuckin great...

I hate stupid comments like this, if you know anything about the Nurburgring Nordschleife Ring, not just the legend that is, and you know anything about modern f1 cars, then you should know it would be a bad race

i agree, the old nordschleife maybe the best and most famous race track on the world. but it isn't the safest. it's changes elevation and direction too fast and too many time that it would make driving a new F1 car there. the new nurburgring of course, was design to replace the old one becuz of these issue.
I am aware of the safety problems of driving the old Nordschleife, but in these days where overtaking is very rare, Ferrari is winning every race, perhaps it would be fun to have some changes. Plus it really makes high demands to the driver, which perhaps could make the smaller teams a little more competitive.
The cost of arranging a F1 race in Manhattan, could pay for a lot of improvements on the old Nürburgring. Maybe only a part of the track could be used, but as you say yourself there is a lot of myth and history about the Nordschleife, which would also increase the number of viewers.
What races do you enjoy most in the formula season? Sepang or Monaco? The spanish grand prix or Spa?
~80 bhp
BMW 325i; M-tech II
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:14 AM   #23
Toronto
Regular User

it would take more money to redo the Nordschleife then it would to run a NY City GP, You would have removes hills etc... so the compression would not kill the cars, perfectly smooth roads wouldn't even help, and off-camber turns are just like sky diving with no parashute in a modern f1 car,

Spa I think is the Best track for F1, it is just so perfect, but the race i would love to see would be a race a Paul R. just amazing track, and it looks cool to
Old 07-29-2004, 02:18 AM   #24
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Ohh and how much will it cost to shut down a part of New York for 4 days? Obviously a race in New York would have to be in Towns Square. It has to be in downtown...That will costs millions to the city. And I dont think they can make the money back off the race.

Bottom Line. A race in downtown New York is mission impossible.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:29 PM   #25
Apac102
Regular User

mission impossible!? NAh... Anything can be done with the right amount of money
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:23 AM   #26
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

well, they would have to completely redo the streets so the cars wouldnt bottom out and the track temp would be correct for the race and things along those lines which would cause a huge mess months before the race even started...

I figured out when F1 came to Dallas, TX..just in case anyone was wondering..lol

It was in 1984, and it was held downtown, the drivers almost boycotted the race hours before the start because the track was literally tearing apart because of the excessive heat (It gets VERY hot here during the summer 8) )
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:39 PM   #27
biff19_a
Regular User

F1 in the US... well the problem is that people in the US love their coockie cutter NASCAR..
F1 would need to make itself a better show if it wishes to bring in the crowds for a second event.. but i really doubt that they are going to change the rules and come up with a standard that will actually allow passing. Until this happens the crowds for the race will get smaller and smaller till it levels out.

As for where... Elkart Lake... that is the only track that could really let and F1 car show its stuff...
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #28
blinkmeat
Regular User

Leguna would be awesome... i'd like to see them run ovals too. jk
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #29
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

The USA has great permanent tracks, and urban tracks as well, and the quality of them, the safety measures to fulfill a formula 1 race.....arent a problem as far as i know...the problem comes from other sides, once the FIA and both, the IRL and the IndyCar championship federations are hard rivals of the FIA....in my opinion the problem of not holding a Formula 1 in the USA is a political reason

For instance there have been in the history of the formula 1 some american superb racetracks that has held the formula 1 races in history......for instance, the USA grand prix in 1990 was held in Phoenix, and the success of the event on that racetrack was brilliant
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 PM   #30
Caps8419
Regular User

a street race in downtown chicago would be bad ass... its not monaco but we have a very nice park/pier/fountain lol....

Officially, Catholicism is Italy's official religion; but any true Italian will tell you Ferrari first, soccer second.....
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Montoya should race bumper karts and not F1 race cars!
Caps8419 is offline   Reply With Quote