Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 07-14-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default Transformers Live action movie in 07.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ovies_eo/16938

Optimus Prime has a prime release date: The Fourth of July.

Transformers, the long-planned, live-action movie based on the robot-morphing cartoon, comic and toy franchise, will roll into theaters July 4, 2007, DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures announced Wednesday. Michael Bay (The Island, The Rock) will direct; Steven Spielberg will executive produce.

Children of the 1980s likely will be champing at the tie-in lunchbox.

"The diehard fans will like it as long as it stays true to Transformers roots and doesn't stray too far from the ideals that we grew up with," Brendan Reilly, co-Webmaster of The Transformers Archive (www.tfarchive.com), said in an email interview about the movie announcement. "The casual or un-familar fan will need to see something awesome to win them over, although a 40-foot robot is usually pretty cool."

Cool-looking robots who convert themselves into battle tanks and other vehicles in order blow up things real good are at the mechanical heart of the Transformers, the classic tale of good automaton (the Autobots) versus evil automaton (the Decepticons) in a battle for control of Earth. Optimus Prime is the leader of the Autobots; Megatron, the dark lord of the Decepticons. Both Autobots and Decepticons hail from the planet Cybertron. All this backstory and more was revealed in Transformers, the syndicated cartoon series launched in 1984 with the help of toy-maker Hasbro, which simultaneously--and savvily--launched a still-thriving merchandise line.

No less savvy today, the makers of the new Transformers movie have already begun a full-scale offensive. The new official Website (www.transformers.com) went up Tuesday. Transformers: Cybertron, the latest animated series, launched this month on Cartoon Network. Burger King cooks up a monthlong action-figure promotion beginning in August. And this weekend in San Diego, on the occasion of Comic-Con International, the geek world's largest annual gawkfest, an 18-wheel truck touting the franchise's considerable wares will be beached in the convention hall.

In theory then, this thing ain't going to be Transformers: The Movie.

Transformers: The Movie was the little-loved 1986 animated feature that gave Optimus Prime, Megatron, et al., their first crack at the silver screen. Much as Fox is planning to right past cinematic wrongs with an all-new, A-list take on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, another 1980s cartoon/toy phenomenon that spawned a cheeseball 1980s film, the new Transformers crew is looking to take its property upscale.

In a message board Monday post on his personal Website (www.donmurphy.net), Don Murphy, a Transformers co-executive producer, said Spielberg, DreamWorks and Hasbro are committed to making a film that is no less than "GREAT" (the capital letters are all his).

"It will be GREAT," Murphy continued, "and then we will make sequel after sequel. There is no doubt that this is true."

With excellence promised, the powers that be now need only to lock in actors--none were announced Wednesday--and start cameras rolling. Time, after all, is of the essence. In publicly staking claim to July 4, 2007, DreamWorks and Paramount become the first studios to reserve that holiday date for their own. Currently, the only other release on the 2007 calendar is Spider-Man 3, set for May 4 of that year.

Until Transformers debuts in theaters, and after Comic-Con wraps, its considerable fandom can busy itself with BotCon (www.transformersclub.com/conventions/frisco/), described by organizer Brian Savage as being "like a giant group hug for everyone who enjoys Transformers."

Scheduled for Sept. 22-25 in Frisco, Texas, the latest edition of BotCon--the event is more than 10 years old--is expected to draw as many as 5,000 devotees of the shape-changing robots. "The whole movie announcement just adds more fire and fuel," said Savage, director of Hasbro's official Transformers Collectors Club.

The way Savage sees it, the unlikely secret to the Transformers' success is: Personality. Anyone, he said, can make a transforming robot.

"But guess what? It's not Optimus Prime."
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
pharzo
Regular User

Wow The Transformers...those cartoons fukin' ruled!!!

I still remember collecting all the action figures and being fascinated that they "transform"

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 AM   #3
saadie
Regular User

i use to wake up at 4 am just to wat the cartoons .. .....

anyways .... damn ... 2007 is far away ...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

It should be good though. . . the production team is definitely there. Can't wait!!!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

I STILL HAVE THEM!!!, I have Optimus Prime, Megatron, two of the Decepticons Figter Jets dudes, a white/red/blue one and a gray with purple F14, and a Autobot firetruck, I don't really remember their names anymore....damn they rocked....I used to have tons of them, I loved them, I read the comics and watched the cartoons...man they were good, that's oldschool stuff there.

I hope them make a great film, probably it will be 90% CGI but I hope they don't mess up. I really hated the Beast Wars series, they never should've done those...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

May be the Citroën C4 commercials were just some teasers for this movie!
haha. I hope they base the transformers on existing cars and machines.

...but i wonder if some of them will turn into weapons and tools...like a pistol or a cassette tape, etc...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #7
detltu6
Regular User

didn't megatron used to turn into a handgun?
detltu6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
a007apl
Regular User

http://www.transformerland.com/trans...the-movie.html
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

I never did get the "transformers" fad...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Cars turning into Robots that war with other cars that turn into robots? whats not to like
Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #11
Ian_yamaue
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by RC45
Cars turning into Robots that war with other cars that turn into robots? whats not to like
How about...cars turing into robots?
But that's fun...
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

What's not fun is Michael Bay. I mean, I hope for some reason he gets off the project.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #13
Sachmo12345
Regular User

well this made my day. This was my favorite childhood show and i still can not say i dont still watch it. I have the movie on DVD.

Xbox Live Gamertag: sachmo12345
Sachmo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #14
vexor
Regular User

** BUMP ** .... 11 months after the topic started lol

New Chevy Camaro to star in the movie
The Chevrolet Camaro Concept will star in the forthcoming “Transformers” movie, which is due for release on July 4th, 2007 (07-04-07). The film — which was first announced last year — is a collaboration between Paramount, DreamWorks, and Hasbro. Apparently, “Bumblebee” is going to start out as a 1970s Camaro, and then be rebuilt as a 2008/2009 Camaro. Meanwhile, “Starscream” is going to be an F-22 Raptor, and “Optimus Prime” is going to be a fire truck. Judging by the license plate on the new Camaro, tuner Saleen also has involvement with the project. A Saleen Mustang police car will also appear in the film.

More pics HERE

I love the quote on the police car

Also some new info from the director Michael bay
May 30, 2006 - In an update at his official site's blog, director Michael Bay gave his fans a spoiler-free progress report on how principal photography is going on The Transformers movie.

"We finished our first week. One of the best first weeks on a movie I've ever experienced. We shot over 250 set ups," Bay revealed. "I'm working on the military aspects of the film right now in New Mexico at Hollaman Air Force base and the Army's White Sands missile base. The military has been stellar with us. This is the largest military cooperation since Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down."

Bay added later, "We also shot in an army tank grave yard, that has more tanks in it then all of Iraq. The military cast Josh [Duhamel] and Tyrese [Gibson] are surrounded with top notch Seal Team members."

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #15
Shinigami
Regular User

I really, really hope they won't fuck this up like happens so often to other cartoon/video game to movie adaptations.

I mean, why the he11 did they decide to make it some bloody virus in the Doom movie rather then a true portal to the beyond? etc... etc...

So yeah, if they can keep it true to the "alien robots fighting on planet earth" story, it'll be a start