Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default Brave when young, pussy when old?

I was just thinking. Do we loose our balls as we age?

As a kid ( up to 14) I had done some incredebly stupid things. Such as get to the top of old abandoned cranes at constuction sites. Jump from rooftop to rooftop, fight guys twice as big as me...

I see that now I couldnt do a 1/4 of the things Ive done back then.

What is it? Is just wisdom? Or your balls to get downsized with age?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

More to lose? Wisdom has a part as well.. but I know as a kid I couldnt screw up beyond a certain point since we all had our safety net. When you get older you play without a net.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
antonioledesma
Regular User

because when you're young you believe that nothing can harm you. Also don't consider the risks of what you're doing.
In my case, until I had a terrible car crash, I stopped to do some things.
Some ppl learn the hard way, others the good way.

you simply take concience of what you're doing. But I would not say that your balls become tiny when you're 50y-o.
ask any father what he would do for a member of his family... he would jump from rooftop to rooftop, fight guys twice the size... etc
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
exhausted mules
Regular User

we get smarter with age.

we are all after the same things. just when we are young we tend to attack that differently than when we have lived a little.

i've seen and heard of some past middle aged men do some pretty ballsy acts and live to tell about it.

thing is... being lived a little we can realise what certain acts can lead and when your young you dont realise it. you haven't lived it yet.

its like the bird having to fall off the tree to learn how to fly.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
blinkmeat
Regular User

We get dumber with age in my opinion :/
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
AlienDB7
Regular User

More like a case of been there done that...
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #7
TransAm
Regular User

Great post, Alex...

When I was about 3 years old my parents moved to a new house, on a new-build estate. Our house was one of the first to be built so the rest of the estate was a construction site for the first year we lived there. Me and my little pals used to play in the sand and all sorts of fun was had.

As a young boy I was always fascinated with cars, trucks, motorcycles, anything with a combustion engine. My interest in vehicles continues to this day.

I do not actually remember doing what I am about to tell you, but my mother assures me this story is the truth...

Evidently I felt I was well suited to become the worlds youngest JCB driver. For those of you who do not know what a JCB is, it is a big yellow tractor used on construction sites.

The JCB I chose for my inaugural 'run' was parked on a hill. I mounted the towering machine, it must have seemed leviathan to me as a 3 year old...My curiousity got the better of me and I started pushing buttons, pulling levers, and then I guess I found one particular lever with a push-button in the end of it.

Can you see where this is going?

Yes, I had found the handbrake. I began my descent of the hill :shock: At the bottom of the hill, maybe 300 metres distance, I ploughed through a stone wall and there ended my little destructive drive

I think a neighbour must have seen me playing on the JCB and alerted my mother. She tells me she was almost sick as she saw the JCB begin to roll, some 50-100 metres away. She ran like, well...those of you with kids probably have a a better idea than I, arriving just in time to scoop me off the JCB. Apparently I didn't have a scratch on me.

I am not a religious person but I am spiritual. I believe my recently-deceased grandmother must have been guarding me that day...

Back on topic, a couple of years later I could ride a bicycle without stabilisers. Going down that very same hill on my Raleigh Budgie bicycle I would always ride as fast as my little legs would go. One particular day I got into a speed wobble, panicked, and came off at what I guess must have been 20 mph. I was a mess, I think I hit the tarmac face-first.

That was the day I lost my nerve...I lasted til the age of about 6, fearless

On a slightly different note, I have always had a fear of flights. A couple of years back when I first moved to Texas I took 3 or 4 flying lessons in a Cessna 125 2-seater. The first flight I froze, was terrified all the way. The next flight was not so bad and I positively enjoyed the third and fourth. This really helped me get over that vertigo. I still get dizzy unless I have something around me, or a railing to hold.

Never had the vertigo thing on airliners though.

Bit of an essay but I can't sleep tonight so I thought I'd bore you lot with my tale of yore.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 AM   #8
Toronto
Regular User

it is simple,
a childs body can take more the older poeple,
you heal faster
Old 03-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
dangerously_cool
Regular User

For me it was turning 18. Now, whenever I do something, I'm responsible for my actions--as bastardly as it sounds, I didn't care before--and I will go to jail. By crazy things I mean nothing like a physical stunt but just fucking around.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #10
Mattk
Regular User

Well I'm still young, so does that necessarily make me less brave than say, my father? Possibly. My father is somewhat more pragmatic than myself, and I think that just comes from experience in life.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
ARMAN
Regular User

Getting old? Alex, you are 20! jk

Ofcourse you do, beeing youg you dont know that if you jump from the roof you can brake your leg and be fucked up for a long time but now you know that.

When you think of it - its the pain and experiences with it is in control. Not that you cannot do anything about it but its completely different discussion

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
When I was 14 I was only able to buy beer from the shop and drive a moped illegally and didn't really know much about women. Now I can buy booze from the liquer store, drive a car or motorcycle legally and do know something about women. That's ageing, your priorities change and rebellion slows down. Shit that was a poor example
ROFLMAO

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
sameerrao
Regular User

As the others said, as you grow older you have more to lose and think about - there is medical insurance, work pressures, etc. None of these thoughts would cross your mind when you were young.

Additionally, as kids you see kids doing the same things and that spurs you on. I dont see any 30 year olds climbing trees do I?

One more factor is that while you are young bones, heal faster and this means you can bounce back from an injury or a fracture much quicker than today.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

funny subject,

but basically we just become smarter/wiser with age (not everyone does, but theoretically, everyone should be getting smarter with age) We also have much more to risk as we get older.. our dreams, asprirations, loved ones, etc

I think its funny you thought about this because Im around the same age as you and only this past year I've started to feel "old" (yeah i know I'm still young). But things such as my car or the "new" mall that was built in my area are 10 years old and I still feel like they are somewhat new to me.

Either way, I still do a lot of stupid/daring shit I shouldn't be doing. But then again, I'm only 21 =]

Oh yeah, and the fact that in most countries the older you get, the more serious you are held against laws i.e. becoming an "adult" at 18.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #14
bmwmpower
Regular User

sure, its not about brave, another thing is drinking, when re u young u know only ko system ,drinking to delirium, after years u know how drink and still be ONLINE,

it is simple,
a childs body can take more the older poeple,
you heal faster

this is true also
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well I still do some things...I took my need to fight to the ring and now I fight in controlled environments.

I still like to take a mountain bike down some mad slopes but now I have my fingers 2cm away from the brake, were before I wouldnt even worry about the brakes

Ahhhh life............

And I do feel quite old. It's that I was exposed to a lot of "life" over the 10-13 age period. My friends being older then me by at least 2 years I found my self to be involved with girls at a very young age, and besides that I spent a lot of time at a military base when I was a kid since I had friends from schools whose dads were officers, hence I learned how to operate an artiller at the age of about 12, and went hunting with my dads friends at teh same age.

So I do feel quite old because I experianced a lot of what teens usualy do very early on.

shit...............I can only imagine what turning 30 feels like hehe
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote