Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #16
inso
Regular User

I am seconding Igorioniaīs opinions, E30 is more playful than E36. More simple and less things to go wrong, easy to maintain. Not to say E30 is not civilized, compared to E21, it is easy car to drive.

Like it has been mentioned before, if you go for the E36, just take the 328i, 4cylinder engines in bmw range are just expensive water kettles. 320i is slowish, 325i needs more torq and 328i is just the best pick. There is really not a big difference between mileage, of course 328i can drink more, but then you are driving it like you couldnīt the others. Same speed, same driving, they drink similar amounts within 10%.

And if you dont mind a little bigger car there is always fives and sevens. M30 engines Alpinas are more trustworthy than any E30 M20 six nevermind fours, and in my opinion M20 is more trustworthy than the so called plastik-6s in E36, nevermind the fours.

I have E28 M30 engined five series, locking diff is so much fun, and the drifts are easier to control with a little bigger torquey car. E34 535i are cheap and so are those old 735i. Alpina guise it is 256hp, willing to play. 1.2tons is the weight of my car, so it is not even heavier than 3series, just more space.

But if you are willing to have that car for keeps, you never go wrong going the full //M way z3 M roadster is the only car i couldnīt say much ++, but others are just
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Igorionia
e30 - is more drivers car than e36. Cuz e30 6cyl version got heavy front than rear. It's more fun to play with.
Nope, the E36 has perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Yes the entire car is heavier, but it is not front heavy.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
thepest
Regular User

Originally Posted by inso
I am seconding Igorioniaīs opinions, E30 is more playful than E36. More simple and less things to go wrong, easy to maintain. Not to say E30 is not civilized, compared to E21, it is easy car to drive.

Like it has been mentioned before, if you go for the E36, just take the 328i, 4cylinder engines in bmw range are just expensive water kettles. 320i is slowish, 325i needs more torq and 328i is just the best pick. There is really not a big difference between mileage, of course 328i can drink more, but then you are driving it like you couldnīt the others. Same speed, same driving, they drink similar amounts within 10%.

And if you dont mind a little bigger car there is always fives and sevens. M30 engines Alpinas are more trustworthy than any E30 M20 six nevermind fours, and in my opinion M20 is more trustworthy than the so called plastik-6s in E36, nevermind the fours.

I have E28 M30 engined five series, locking diff is so much fun, and the drifts are easier to control with a little bigger torquey car. E34 535i are cheap and so are those old 735i. Alpina guise it is 256hp, willing to play. 1.2tons is the weight of my car, so it is not even heavier than 3series, just more space.

But if you are willing to have that car for keeps, you never go wrong going the full //M way z3 M roadster is the only car i couldnīt say much ++, but others are just
I know what you mean speaking about 328i or 5/7 series, but if I had the money for such a car I wouldn't be looking for a 100k+ miles 318is or even worse with a 325i.
And one more thing I'm not so sure that the 325i lacks torque. I mean compared with some other cars, yes, of course, but the most I've had under my right foot was a 90hp vehicle, so I doubt that a 140/192 hp BMW will be slow in my eyes!

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #19
stradale
Regular User

I doubt that too. An E36 325i is a blast by any means.

Don't be put off by cars with 100k + kms. My car had 165k kms when I bought it in february last year and so far no big problems with it. I'm now past 190k. The car's still in good shape. Like Ae86 already mentioned, maintenance is key. Make sure the history is there, preferably with receipts. It's a good sign of how the previous owner(s) treated the car. You can also verify the kms.

Check the car properly. Look for resprayed parts, inside and outside. Look for rust (especially wheelarches, sills, underside of the doors). When you go for a testdrive, listen for noises from the suspension/drivetrain. When you hear a 'thump' from the rear when shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's either the rubber components of the rear suspension or backlash of the driveshaft.

My advice is also to find a car that is equipped as it was when it left the factory or has later added original BMW parts which are from the same period as the car. Ricers usually skimp on the vital maintenance (regular service, the right oil, etc.) in order to buy crap that just makes the car look worse. In other words, don't just look at the car, try to find out about the kind of person the previous owner(s) were as well.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #20
TopGearNL
Regular User

/\/\ Yep, service history and receipts are almost the most important thing! :shock:
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #21
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
I doubt that too. An E36 325i is a blast by any means.

Don't be put off by cars with 100k + kms. My car had 165k kms when I bought it in february last year and so far no big problems with it. I'm now past 190k. The car's still in good shape. Like Ae86 already mentioned, maintenance is key. Make sure the history is there, preferably with receipts. It's a good sign of how the previous owner(s) treated the car. You can also verify the kms.
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
/\/\ Yep, service history and receipts are almost the most important thing! :shock:
Agreed, I paid an extra $1000 - $1500 over market for the history of my car. The guy had it all neatly stacked up in a binder, even included the window sticker.

Like Stradale said, it just shows how much the owner treats their car. Oh yeah, never buy it from kids.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #22
TopGearNL
Regular User

Agreed, I paid an extra $1000 - $1500 over market for the history of my car. The guy had it all neatly stacked up in a binder, even included the window sticker.

Like Stradale said, it just shows how much the owner treats their car. Oh yeah, never buy it from kids
Well 1000 extra isn't bad considering how much maintenance you could have with a bad one. Thats very good, all the records!

I agree, never buy it from kids, is saying a kid
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #23
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL

I agree, never buy it from kids, is saying a kid
Haha, one time I drove 40 miles to look at a car, found out a kid owned it and did a "few mods" (e.g. beat the shit out of it), I turned right around and left.

Oh yeah, it also had a small oil leak that would only cost $50 to fix. According to his mechanic. Haha
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #24
TopGearNL
Regular User

Oh yeah, it also had a small oil leak that would only cost $50 to fix. According to his mechanic. Haha
LOL! His mechanic!

More like $5000
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
thepest
Regular User

I don't know if something's wrong with my google abilities but I just can't find the gear ratios for the e36 325i! Could you guys please help me out here?!
All I could find is the final drive 3.15

Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by thepest
I don't know if something's wrong with my google abilities but I just can't find the gear ratios for the e36 325i! Could you guys please help me out here?!
All I could find is the final drive 3.15
According to the US service manual the gear ratios are:
1st: 4.23
2nd: 2.52
3rd: 1.66
4th: 1.22
5th: 1.00
reverse: 4.04

I assume the European 325i uses the same gearbox (Getrag S5D 250G).
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #27
thepest
Regular User

Thanks stradale! If not the same as in EU I bet it's pretty darn close.

btw I was wondering why didn't they had the 5th gear under 1 It's the sasme with 318is

Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #28
thepest
Regular User

^ Sounds great dani! What year is the bavarian?
How did you feel it performance wise?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by thepest
^ Sounds great dani! What year is the bavarian?
How did you feel it performance wise?
It's a 1986 325i

And it felt very old but that's what I love about these cars: the throttle instantaneous response, the gearbox, the feeling you get through the steering wheel... cars are not as thrilling anymore :bah:
Its more a drivers car then!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #30
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
^ yes - right...

Like my GT Turbo. Driving these cars fast on bumpy roads require more concentration and interaction with the car than with current modern cars. No way you can compare a 2005 160hp Ibiza Cupra to an 20 year-old 120hp GT Turbo - the french is much much funnier!

The bimmer has Koni suspensions, although they really show its age. Plus the car is running on 14in wheels... with really "tall" tyres, making the car feel somehow like a boat With 15in wheels, better (harder) tyres, and upgraded suspensions - not to mention the mandatory LSD - this car should be entertaining!

Anyone interested in a ride at the Ring when we meet in May?
Sounds nice! I like a car which requires concentration!

The Ring, Hell yeah! Passenger or Driver?