Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > Top Gear UK - Episode Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
When I followed this logic, I bought my Oldsmobile for 1k and called it done. Same 7.8 second 0-60 time too . . .
lol we've had this discussion

Originally Posted by Run_A_Mock View Post
I understand what your talking about but there are plenty of other cars on the market that are just as qualified that are not so boring and actually have a soul, not to mention the fact that front-wheel drive is the work of satan.

I live in Minneapolis and I've driven the route as well, if I were to 'speed' test it I'd take a Porsche- in fact I've gone to ESPNs speed week its a blast but doing it at 140 is just sad.

2008 Mercedes C300 Sport--its an insane car (quality and curb appeal), but I would never suggest the AMG C-Class. Hammond got it right in saying its a bad car.
Just for the sake of argument can you please show me some mid sized cars that cost 17k, have a better 0-60 time, get over 30mpg, have Toyota quality, and arent butt ugly. Maybe I overlooked them. When the Lancer came out I admit I wished I had waited for that, but nothing else comes to mind
Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
This was an enjoyable episode and I found it kind of appropriate that the state department recognized that they were hardly documentary makers. The running joke worked quite well for this episode. I really wonder what they got for tickets in terms of cost and driving record. Why on earth did Clarkson leave his ZR1 in the right lane during their little burnout contest? Perhaps if he'd have moved it a bit, May wouldn't have panicked and put the Caddy in the bush.
That just validated any thought that the entire episode as usual is faked

Why would anyone go to Bonneville and do a standing mile instead of a flying mile? There runs did not look like a 2 mile runup to a flying mile speed trap.

The roadside hooliganism was a little lame.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #18
black_diamond
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
That just validated any thought that the entire episode as usual is faked

Why would anyone go to Bonneville and do a standing mile instead of a flying mile? There runs did not look like a 2 mile runup to a flying mile speed trap.

The roadside hooliganism was a little lame.
Agree, I'm sure there are other people on this board that have been to the Bonneville Salt Flats, I'm was there in 06 for Speed week, you'd NEVER take a car like that even new ones out there, that salt is nasty and near impossible to get off the car, it cakes on and you have to scrub it off. Very Very nasty and leads to rust.

The bit about May driving into the side of the road was funny and plausable, even just driving is dangerous between Wendover and Salt Lake City because its so flat and boring. They need to get back to basics with this program. More real races.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #19
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
I cannot wait, I'm in America though, is it on here? iPlayer won't work.
Originally Posted by fabro_s View Post
Were can I download the new season episodes???, we will not have them here in motorworld like always???
Originally Posted by jpga View Post
HELP!!! Please please please post Top Gear videos! I don't get Top Gear where I am and all this talk of Corvettes and Cadillacs is making my mouth water!
Cough, youtube, cough.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 AM   #20
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by MidEngine4Life View Post
lol we've had this discussion

Just for the sake of argument can you please show me some mid sized cars that cost 17k, have a better 0-60 time, get over 30mpg, have Toyota quality, and arent butt ugly. Maybe I overlooked them. When the Lancer came out I admit I wished I had waited for that, but nothing else comes to mind
Just remember that the Road and Track 6.9 you quoted was for the supercharged TRD model (a 26k car). Your car had the same 7.8 second 0-60 time as the current Corolla S (not surprising given that the TC is pretty much a Toyota Avensis.) The easy answer to that question is just about any used performance car on the market from 4th gen Camaros to FD RX7's. Of course, you must have been bent on a new car and a warranty, so I'll look some up and make a list later. The first things that come to mind are Civics, V6 Mustangs, Cobalts/G5's, Sentras, Chevy Colorados (yes, the trucks,) Grand Prix's and Corollas. the mid 7 to 8 second 0-60 is a pretty solid middle of the road bench mark for just about any car these days.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote