Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
dingo
Regular User

Default I drove a 993 Carrera!

It was a spur of the moment event so I didn't get enough pics of the car to make a proper topic in the Review section. :bah:

I went out on a Ferrari club cruise for breakfast yesterday morning and was passenger in this particular '97 993 Carrera.

On the return trip the owner said "If you wanna have a drive just let me know....".....I said "Umm, yeah, umm....if you don't have a problem then why not!"....."You have a drivers license and own a fast car yourself so I can't see why not..."

So he pulled over and in I got.

First thing I noticed is the offset pedals, my legs were angled to the left (RHD remember) which felt very weird. I took it slow at first as I was getting used to it all.

The indicator stalk is on the opposite side to my car so I kept turning on the window wipers instead of indicating. ops:

This car was a tiptronic (unforunately) and I left it in auto mode initially, which was just plain boring IMO. It felt so clinical and with nothing to do I really wasn't impressed at all.

Much better once I started changing gears with the wheel-mounted buttons, still not as good as having a clutch but its still a Porsche so I can't complain. At slow speed and light throttle the changes are very slow and jerky, quite a strange and akward feeling infact. Put the foot down and change (without lifting) and its a different story, obviously nothing like the CS or F430 systems I've tried but not bad for a nearly 10yo car.

The sound of the air-cooled engine is nice too, sounds rough and raspy but I like it....and at idle its not too different from a (stock) WRX actually (both have boxer engines in the end).

The interior is a bit of a let-down, not a big fan of it. The exterior is a different story though - still the sexiest shape in the 911 lineup IMO.

So all up I spent ~45mins behind the wheel, and though I wasn't over-awed it was still nice to add a 911 to my list of driven cars.

I would really like to own a manual 993 Carrera S oneday though, maybe in a couple of years.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
stmoritzer
Regular User

One more on the list
must have been one of the first to be equipped with Tiptronic ( or the time goes quicker than I thought )
The car looks great too, like the darkblue color

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Always a nice experience

Congrats!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Well done! Can't wait to be able to say the same, possible adding the word "white" in the subject!

Sadly with a tiptronic you miss all the heavy clutch fun, but must have been still quite something IMO, even if you got behind the wheel of much quicker machinery
Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Dingo, just wait a few weeks, TT will be buying a 993 soon - he seems to be collecting cars the way he used to collect diecasts. You can bum a ride from him pretty soon.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
gangajas
Regular User

The 993 is sooooo beautiful
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Dingo, just wait a few weeks, TT will be buying a 993 soon - he seems to be collecting cars the way he used to collect diecasts. You can bum a ride from him pretty soon.
That's a fact, just don't know when I'll find the right one :bah:
Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
stmoritzer
Regular User

IMO there are tons of used arabic cars in geneva area..... I mean white ones

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
TT
Regular User

Sadly I am down in that area too rarely and for short moments only. Not visited Geneva in ages and no time to buy a car there... I have to find it here in TI