Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #151
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I think it's safe to say that everyone got a good workout - and "most surprised" of the day award goes to the pair of R6's that we caught up to....

I bet it's the first those yahoos have been blown into the weeds by four wheels..

Even the big beastly Blackbird blew past the Yamaha's like they were on a sunday cruise...

And today proved yet again, that the "driver" is a unique breed apart from the "poser" and really easy to tell apart.

Zman drove the Yoda like nothing on earth - proving his true blue enthusiasm for "driving" - the act pure and simple is what the day was about... Omar drove the wheels off his non-rice tuned super budget 240SX - our Dallas guests drove their Roadsters like no "hairdresser" ever thought a lightweight roadster could be driven and sameer in "big german sedan style" didn't behave at all sedanlike - James was tossing his big super-tourer around like a 250cc GP bike --- if only all car/bike owners showed the passion for "driving" that this crew of misfits did today, the roads would be a funner safer place for all.

Thanks for making a great day possible.

Cwap ... I feel embarrassed. I can't believe I forgot to thank RC for painstakingly defining the route including doing multiple recce's ahead of time to make sure the trip will be fun for all and it sure turned out to be.

It was a fun route and we saw a sight of Texas that most people who have never been to Texas will not believe.

Let's hope this is an annual event and more people will make it next time.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #152
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Ok, i don't know who's speedo this is, or how this pic got onto my camera, so will the culprit please fess up?

I had a total blast today. Hell even the 4 hour drive there was fun (late at night, averaging about 80mph, slipstreaming semis..) I didn't really mind being towards the back of the pack, but i did hang back a bit more than i would have liked for 3 main reasons.

1) the shocks on the car are useless and so i am riding on all springs (anyone who was behind me can attest to that )

2) i wasn't really comfortable hanging around blind corners and crests, especially due to reason 1

3) i don't really have any formal performance driving training and it was apparent in the faster banked corners and i managed to scare myself a few times.

But, despite that, i enjoyed the trip immensly. Meeting up with RC and Sameer again was great and so was meeting TransAm and his friend. I am looking forward to hopefully going on another one, and hopefully i'll have a car i can push a bit more

The thing that really surprised me was how well the 240SX was keeping up in the front. for being as old as it is, that thing was scooting along nicely :shock:

Thanks to Sameer, James and TransAm for hanging back a little bit with me so i didn't feel quite so slow through the bends.

The S2000 and Boxter sounded amazing as the overtook me, i couldn't really hear the S4 though.

The Blackbird and Z06, even from the back, sound incredible, but i'd expect nothing less from a brawny V8 8)

I wish someone would have gotten a vid of me understeering on the first leg though That ended up taking Sameer and me on a couple mile detour But oh well.

Enough of my babbling. Here are the few pics i got

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #153
TransAm
Regular User

Well, I knew this was going to be a long-ish post so I waited til this morning to come and write it. Pretty tired last night after all that driving. When you get to my age, 650 miles in 26 hours with 6 hours sleep is a bit much on the old body...

The journey down to Houston was eventful, but in a good way!

As we came onto the I-45 at Waxahachie, after taking country rounds to cut east from my place south of Fort Worth, there was a Charger R/T just passing; hearing the VTEC then seeing James and I come on to the interstate he had some fun with us up to a point. After we hit the 3 figure mark a few times he didn't want to play no more, but he did have his wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat so fair enough.

We came across a 997 Carrera S cabriolet and the three of us convoyed for about half the journey at just under the 3 figure mark. The girl driving the 911 was up for a bit of fun and where it was safe to do so we all blasted up to 'top of VTEC in fifth' lets just say

We attracted the attention of a state trooper passing in the other direction but we were only going about 25 over at that time. Even so, he came back after us but James spotted him on the horizon flicking his disco roof rack on to get other traffic out the way. He caught up with James who let him sit there on his tail at 79mph for a mile or so, at which point he turned off and let us go.

We kept our wits about us for the rest of the journey and found us some 'radar bait' to sit 1/2 mile behind in the form of a rented SUV travelling at 95.

Originally Posted by RC45
I think it's safe to say that everyone got a good workout - and "most surprised" of the day award goes to the pair of R6's that we caught up to....
Indeed RC, as I said to you at lunch, "I hope I haven't broken the S2000 today".

Yeah, those sportbikes, I tell you, stuck behind them pottering along at 53mph! WTF?

They were nice and shiny though :roll:

Anyway, to echo what the other guys have said, what a fantastic day and I can't thank RC enough for going to the trouble of arranging it, letting us know where the cops might or might not be hiding, waiting around for us slower cars to catch up so we didn't get lost. A big up to the Vette-driving man!

Even gave me a chance to drag with him in a side by side roll on! :good:

I was 3 feet in front of the Z06 for about a second in the VTEC zone before RC realised what I was up to, and blew me away. Sameer's picture show the Z06 and S2000 'at it'

Thank's to Sameer for his boundless hospitality allowing us to stay at his place and taking us out for a couple of beers to a bar near his place on the Friday night. Thank you very much Sameer, and if you are in the DFW area in the next couple of months please let me return the favour!

Zman - while I stayed back to ensure you didn't get left a little bit, this really was partly due to not being able to get past you safely at many points! As you might recall, the times I did fly past were coming out of corners as I could carry more speed through with me. It is a testament to your driving and the Yoda really isn't that slow a car due to it's light weight. The exhaust sounds pretty cool too, although we both know it wasn't supposed to quite sound like that when Toyota designed the little beastie!

110 doesn't surprise me from a 1.6 5 speed Yoda, having had a '81 1300cc Corolla DX wagon at college that would do 108. Well you just have to try these things The person that sneaked in and took your 110mph speedo pic remains a mystery to us all. Maybe your car disappeared for a few minutes at one of the rest stops...

Boxster v S2000

I had a drive in the Boxster on the way home on I-45. You can certainly feel the extra torque of that 3.2 compared to the S2000. The Porsche is very confidence inspiring although the only real corner I drove it round was the I-45 onramp. A much quieter car with the roof down than the S2000, but you sit a lot lower in the Porsche. Due to the MR layout, there is much more room in the cabin than the S2000 and all the controls are nicely laid out. The optional Bose / Becker Hi-Fi in the Boxster is just worlds ahead of the both the stock S2000 system and also the Z3 Harman-Kardon sub system (casting my mind back a while to recall that one!)

At WOT you can hear the boxer sucking the air in just behind and below your ears, and it's a beautiful noise. When James came past me a few times on the I-45 I could barely hear the car though, it is very discreet from outside and not cop-attracting, which is a good thing.

Basically, if I had 20k lying around I would be VERY tempted to swap my beloved VTEC in for a Boxster S.

When I got back into the S2000 after we swapped back I realised just how much more noisy my car is, and the lack of torque. However, as soon as I hit 6000 rpm, I was happy with my baby again

We did a couple of roll ons and the Boxster S admittedly pulls away from the S2000, but not by much. Going up a 10%-15% gradient incline (like an on-ramp) is a whole other story though - flat out thru 2nd and 3rd gear joining the interestate I could tell I was holding the Porsche back.

The journey back was pretty much roof-up until 3pm or so because of the heat. It was nice to hear my music for a change lol.

More 'radar bait' was found in the form of a Accord V6 Coupe and an A6 2.7T which flew past us at over 100 while we sat with cruise on at 85mph.

A quick call to James over the CB and we decided to use these chaps as our decoy.

Got home at around 4.55pm having left Houston just after 1. Saw a C6 Z06 on the last stretch of the journey on 287 (the road that takes you from my place to I-45) he dipped the clutch at 25mph and did us a nice little rolling burnout. That car is brutal!

I am sure some of the single guys might have been tempted to stop off here:

Disclaimer: All 3 figure speeds alluded to are of course in km/h and top of VTEC in 5th gear is 65mph due to my gearing

Right, I'm off to buy some new tires

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #154
nthfinity
Regular User

I'm loving reading your stories Zfrk, RC, Sameer, T/A sounds like you had a blast... i have to admit to being confused by a couple statments about some mystery person

anyway; if im doing great next spring... i [may] be able to join in the fun... i've never done my own cross country road trip; just with the family a few times!

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Post some groups pics next time pls.
i can handle that i supopose we didn't think of it at the time
Originally Posted by T-Bird
let me know I would be willing to go back up your way again and possibly the Thunderchicken will be drivable at that point... hell I was in South Haven 2 weekends ago.
Absolutely, i had an absolute blast with you back in January...

a trip to SH might be in order then for us east-siders; mabey even put in some track time
Old 04-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #155
RC45
Regular User

Nuffink to see 'ere guv...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #156
TransAm
Regular User

Where? Oh, there... yes, ahem

<whistles>

Old 04-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #157
RC45
Regular User

A little action video is on the way...

Link Up...

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=637531#637531
Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #158
ZfrkS62
Regular User

TransAm- Yeah, I could tell you were itching to get by me in the tighter corners. The S2000 has a look to it that just seems to say "fucking move already!". I've always kind of thought they looked like a shark personally

And Sameer, sorry i didn't thank you for putting me up firday night as well. But Thanks! Sorry i couldn't get there early enough to go out with you and the rest of the group.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #159
RC45
Regular User

Here are James and I making the clean pass on the R6's..

And here is Omar and Nick in the 240SX following the Blackbird into a 15mph left hander into a narrow bridge - with what looks to be the S2K in close quarters...

Old 04-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #160
TransAm
Regular User

Thanks for posting that video up, RC.

I wish I could get to see the whole of the video footage. Alas, due to reasons given by RC on the day I doubt I shall get the chance to...fair play mate, James (on the bike) gave me a good idea of speeds reached

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
TransAm- Yeah, I could tell you were itching to get by me in the tighter corners. The S2000 has a look to it that just seems to say "fucking move already!". I've always kind of thought they looked like a shark personally
A hammerhead shark, is how Sameer described it. Maybe it looks all the more 'sharkish' when you get it to fishtail (bad pun, sorry ops: )

The Z3 looks quite shark-like as well with its 'gills'. Although I have heard it being called a 'shoe' by non-BMW lovers also.

Trying to find Sameer's place on the Friday evening James and I picked up a Z3 3.0i on our tail with a couple of youngish lads driving it. Suffice to say we impressed them with our 'driving' out of some tight bends and a 10mph U-turn

I'm just wondering how much of a chance James would have had in the Boxster had I bought an S54 M Roadster instead of the Honda...

Still, they are 10k more than the S2000 for a 2002...

Old 04-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #161
Jimmy_Hamstock
Regular User

shhhhh,

Is the coast clear?

A VERY rare post from me is about to commence.

What a day. I don't think I can really add anything to what has already been said but I would like to take the opportunity to thank Sameer for his kind hospitality on Friday night and RC for some tremendous research and organisation. Pulling something like this together takes a lot of time and it was a very successful meet. I had a fantastic time. To reiterate what TransAm said if any of you fancy coming up/down/across to the Dallas and Fort Worth area please let us know so we can return the hospitality!

One more thing....spending most of my time behind the Z man I didn't get to see too much of RC or James but the Z man gets my vote for the most committed, on the limit driving on the day. It was mesmerising to watch that corolla being taken to within an inch of its life and I can confirm it was cocking its rear inside wheel at every corner

Cheers guys for a great day and I will try and up my posts in the future!

James.

[Edit] Here is a nice pic of the 997 Carrera S we were crusing with on the way to Houston...

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/f87aedc43c.jpg
Jimmy_Hamstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #162
sameerrao
Regular User

^^ The prodigal son returns

Welcome back Jimmy boy! It was great having you over ...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #163
stradale
Regular User

Sounds like a great day, guys! Too bad we're separated by a rather large puddle of water.

After reading Sameer's description of Zfrk's driving with Yoda I saw the picture of it nearly tipping over in a corner and I was LMAO. Excellent stuff.

I'm downloading the video now. Will comment later.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #164
ZfrkS62
Regular User

After reading Sameer's description of Zfrk's driving with Yoda I saw the picture of it nearly tipping over in a corner and I was LMAO. Excellent stuff.
corolla being taken to within an inch of its life and I can confirm it was cocking its rear inside wheel at every corner
I knew my body roll was bad, but god damn! Fortunately i get paid tomorrow, so the body roll wil be taken care of this week

And i couldn't feel the wheel pick up at all

Old 04-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #165
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm
Thanks for posting that video up, RC.

I wish I could get to see the whole of the video footage. Alas, due to reasons given by RC on the day I doubt I shall get the chance to...fair play mate, James (on the bike) gave me a good idea of speeds reached
Well - how about a reasonable facsimile?

I am putting together a little bit sans data over lay - speeds can simply be imagined and "virtually" overlaid by the viewer.

[edit] 2nd Video is up in the Video Thread...