Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #46
ZfrkS62
Regular User

that and calling it freon is just easier for the lay person to understand instead of calling it by it's name (R-12 or R-134a) I've seen customers get realy confused over that before

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #47
supercarfreak
Regular User

8 for 8 baby

I use the throttle to help me navigate corners, if you catch my drift.
supercarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #48
ZfrkS62
Regular User

way to go man!

I've given up on the thought of completing all of mine. No one really seems to care once you get out in the field.

i nailed the 4 i took though, but never sent in my work experience report to get the certificate and all that crap :bah:

Old 12-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #49
supercarfreak
Regular User

thanks!

i need to send in my proof of experience at some point

i'm very thrilled that I passed all of them on the first try because i was pretty sure that I failed quite a few of them

although i do think that ASE certifications meant more back then than they do now

I use the throttle to help me navigate corners, if you catch my drift.
supercarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #50
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by supercarfreak
thanks!

i'm very thrilled that I passed all of them on the first try because i was pretty sure that I failed quite a few of them

although i do think that ASE certifications meant more back then than they do now
Yeah, there were 2 that i passed by 3 questions

and yes, i have a feeling if you asked any of the older techs they'd tell you their (ase certs) value has slipped greatly in the past 10 years. now it's all down to the manufacturer credentials it seems like.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:41 PM   #51
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
thanks!

and yes, i have a feeling if you asked any of the older techs they'd tell you their (ase certs) value has slipped greatly in the past 10 years. now it's all down to the manufacturer credentials it seems like.
No - it's down to whether the tech at the dealership fucks up your car, gets grease everywhere or simply breaks, mangles or dents, scratches or otherwise leaves your car worse off after you get it back than when you took it in or not.

Certs mean nothing to us customers, because all the dealerships we go to that screw up our cars all brag about their ASE certified techs, trained Service Writers and experienced Service Managers.

Sorry to say guys, but most of your mechanic colleagues have no pride in work, are not detail orientated or careful enough while working on the cars.

They get lifted from the wrong lift points, they get abused in the workshop (I have seen it - revved when cold - redlined and burnouts while driving from storage to lift) etc.

This is the reality.

Auto mechanics need to clean up their profession from the inside out.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #52
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
yeah you got it now it's just like Kleenex Freon was the version of R-12 used for household products but the name became the common nickname for R-12 just like Kleenex.
Hhmmm. it seems DuPont uses this trade name to refer to all their entire line of CFC-based refrigerants.

Correctly referred to as Freon 22, Freon 23, Freon 502 etc.

So it is Freon in all the systems, stationary and mobile.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #53
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
thanks!

No - it's down to whether the tech at the dealership fucks up your car, gets grease everywhere or simply breaks, mangles or dents, scratches or otherwise leaves your car worse off after you get it back than when you took it in or not.

Certs mean nothing to us customers, because all the dealerships we go to that screw up our cars all brag about their ASE certified techs, trained Service Writers and experienced Service Managers.

Sorry to say guys, but most of your mechanic colleagues have no pride in work, are not detail orientated or careful enough while working on the cars.

They get lifted from the wrong lift points, they get abused in the workshop (I have seen it - revved when cold - redlined and burnouts while driving from storage to lift) etc.

This is the reality.

I wouldn't go that far.

The guys at my shop, can't speak for the honda side, cuz they're in another building, actually pay alot of attention to tracking dirt and grease and the like. As for abusing the cars, it's not tolerated at all.

maybe you need to call GM and complain about your dealer before lumping the rest of us techs in with the rednecks working on your car

Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #54
RC45
Regular User

thanks!

This is the reality.

I wouldn't go that far.

The guys at my shop, can't speak for the honda side, cuz they're in another building, actually pay alot of attention to tracking dirt and grease and the like. As for abusing the cars, it's not tolerated at all.

maybe you need to call GM and complain about your dealer before lumping the rest of us techs in with the rednecks working on your car
Sorry bud, interview ANY car owner and see how many "good stories" vs "bad stories" you get told. Not just because people remember the bad over the good, but seldom will you have a car owner tell you SOMETHING didn't get left out, forgotten, misdiagnosed, cracked, chipped, torn or incorrectly replaced .

The reality is that more often than not, the repair experience sucks - period.

I have had and seen bad behaviour from multiple GM, Ford, Toyota and Honda dealerships... so it's not looking good - does't mean there have not been good experiences - it just means that I have learned that as long as the MAIN broken/failed bit is fixed, then anything else that doesn't get totally buggered up is a bonus

You may be conscientious, take pride in your work, treat the customers car (cheap beater or fancy 760) with respect, pay attention to detail and otherwise do the job correctly - but it would seem many are not and do not.

I have totally abandoned the main dealership as a repair option except for warranty work on cars I have owned. Everything else goes to a local Goodyear shop where I have come to knwo the owner and his crew. They know me, and care enough about me returning to take the time to EARN the money I pay to keep the cars going
Old 12-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #55
ZfrkS62
Regular User

thanks!

This is the reality.

I wouldn't go that far.

Sorry bud, interview ANY car owner and see how many "good stories" vs "bad stories" you get told. Not just because people remember the bad over the good, but seldom will you have a car owner tell you SOMETHING didn't get left out, forgotten, misdiagnosed, cracked, chipped, torn or incorrectly replaced .

The reality is that more often than not, the repair experience sucks - period.

I have had and seen bad behaviour from multiple GM, Ford, Toyota and Honda dealerships... so it's not looking good - does't mean there have not been good experiences - it just means that I have learned that as long as the MAIN broken/failed bit is fixed, then anything else that doesn't get totally buggered up is a bonus

You may be conscientious, take pride in your work, treat the customers car (cheap beater or fancy 760) with respect, pay attention to detail and otherwise do the job correctly - but it would seem many are not and do not.

I have totally abandoned the main dealership as a repair option except for warranty work on cars I have owned. Everything else goes to a local Goodyear shop where I have come to knwo the owner and his crew. They know me, and care enough about me returning to take the time to EARN the money I pay to keep the cars going
If it's as bad as you say, then why is our customer satisfaction index at 97.4%? Mercedes is sitting just behind us at 96%

I'm not denying that shit like what you're talking about is happening, and that some dealerships need a swift kick in the ass, but then again there are slackjawed retards in every profession

Old 12-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #56
RC45
Regular User

If it's as bad as you say, then why is our customer satisfaction index at 97.4%? Mercedes is sitting just behind us at 96%

I'm not denying that shit like what you're talking about is happening, and that some dealerships need a swift kick in the ass, but then again there are slackjawed retards in every profession
Well - let's see now, when I had work done at GM, Ford and Toyota dealerships, the "Customer Satisfaction" card was either already filled in for me/us - or we were asked/told to answer "Very Satisfied" etc for all the options.

I am sure most people don't bother filling their's out - I took the time to either praise or crucify the stealership and tech-wannabe... so I know my surveys would have been discarded as obove and below the norm...
I will find out if the Honda dealerships also fill out the surveys for the customer
Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #57
T-Bird
Regular User

Our dealership seems to have a pretty damn good reputation if we fuck shit up it gets fixed and I mean anything we even replace seat covers that were scratched on the underside where it will never be seen and we fix any scratches or dents etc.. on the outside one guy curbed a brand new RL and scratched the wheel so they got a new $1500 wheel over a tiny scratch. We have the best reputation for Acura dealerships in the Tri-state area we have people come 20 miles to get their car fixed by us because we do anything for the customer and take care of their cars. I can't speak for other dealerships because I know some are really bad but not all of them are.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #58
RC45
Regular User

We have the best reputation for Acura dealerships in the Tri-state area we have people come 20 miles to get their car fixed by us because we do anything for the customer and take care of their cars. I can't speak for other dealerships because I know some are really bad but not all of them are.
This is EXACTLY the point - there are far more SHIT dealerships than good dealerships.

Thsi si why people seek and seek and seek and seek and seek and seek and seek until they find a honest, trustworthy, competantly staffed and properly managed stealership... then they are even willing to drive many miles for service.

Thank you for validating my point...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #59
T-Bird
Regular User

We have the best reputation for Acura dealerships in the Tri-state area we have people come 20 miles to get their car fixed by us because we do anything for the customer and take care of their cars. I can't speak for other dealerships because I know some are really bad but not all of them are.
This is EXACTLY the point - there are far more SHIT dealerships than good dealerships.

Thsi si why people seek and seek and seek and seek and seek and seek and seek until they find a honest, trustworthy, competantly staffed and properly managed stealership... then they are even willing to drive many miles for service.

Thank you for validating my point...
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all I was validating what you said that there are people that will go the distance for proper service hell I had to drive 20 miles to get a damn HID bulb one day since the person was waiting at the dealership to go on vacation for Thanksgiving I know alot of places wouldn't do that.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #60
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Well - let's see now, when I had work done at GM, Ford and Toyota dealerships, the "Customer Satisfaction" card was either already filled in for me/us - or we were asked/told to answer "Very Satisfied" etc for all the options.

I am sure most people don't bother filling their's out - I took the time to either praise or crucify the stealership and tech-wannabe... so I know my surveys would have been discarded as obove and below the norm...
I will find out if the Honda dealerships also fill out the surveys for the customer
BMW calls for their survey so does Mercedes