Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #31
DeMoN
Regular User

I got more INFO on the 8800. Apparently, the 8800 will be released in Europe 2nd Quarter this year (soon) and it will operate in GSM Frequencies GSM 900/1800/1900

Now in a reading I made, this phone was listed as a successor of the Nokia 8910i. This got me worried as the 8910i does not work in the US/Latin America. So I did research and found out that Quarter 3 US will get the 8801 supposedly the same phone but operating 850 / 1800 / 1900 (hope the delay means the 8801 will be better in some way). 850 is a freq used by Cingular. I read that in city areas, GSM carriers (like T-Mobil) uses the 1900 freq, but those who have phones with the 850 band (like the RAZR) and are members of Cingular will get extra signal strength when away from the city... I NEED that 850 freq cuz here in the UNI, I lose signal if I go into the Gym or in some classes where windows are far away.

Well now the sad part is, this fukin phone will cost 750 EUROS! God damn and the worst part is that the reason is not because of the SPECS (as they are shitty when compared to other such as E715/E720), but the metal (understandable) and are you ready? because the RING tones and MESSAGE tones were composed by some A-hole orchestra director or something!

Award-winning composer and musician Ryuichi Sakamoto was commissioned to compose the ringtones and alerts. Throughout his distinguished career, Sakamoto has crossed musical and technological boundaries, experimenting with different musical styles and making a name for himself in popular, orchestral and film music.
Inspired by its modern lines and organic curves, Sakamoto has produced a musical accompaniment for the Nokia 8800 that captures an essence and emotion that touches both heart and mind. His creation draws on his vision of the Nokia 8800 user -- a world citizen constantly on the move, making an impression in a grayscale world and through great cities such as New York, Paris, Sydney and Shanghai.
WHO fukin cares as long as it rings! I hate songs on phones, I always use the RING RING lol... the phone is too sexy though, I dont think I'd spend 900+ us $ on a cell phone so I'll wait a year till the price drops. Another thing making the price for this go high is its "Scratch resistant screen" and also they say that the screen was made in a stupid process like they make watches...

Priced at around €750/£520/$950
Although the Nokia 8800 is pitched at the executive market, talktime is only quoted as between 1.5-3 hours which is very low. The standby time is 8 days, which isn't too long either.
LOL! It has MP3 player and camera and video recording which means, fiddle around with the camera/mp3 player/games("The 8800 comes with a 3D imaging engine for gameplay too") and you get yourself some powerfull 2 hours (if that) talk time.

Originally Posted by PCMag
We got to handle the 8801 at its launch event yesterday. The phone feels like something liquid, as if it's made from mercury, not steel. The metal warms in your hand, the body has heft and balance, and the glass is uncommonly smooth. Although you'd immediately think to compare this to the Motorola RAZR, they're almost opposites: the RAZR is sharp, cutting, and almost brittle, while the 8801 is solid, smooth and reassuring.
For those interested in reading more about the 8800/8801

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1784006,00.asp

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200504/988198_5.html

http://www.gsmarena.com/news-detail117.php

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,239...=149567,00.asp (for actual pics!)

(in the first pic, I have two of the four shown there cuz the 3rd did not work in the US and the 4th isnt out yet lol)

Street Racing? Now that might be ONE game worth playing LOL!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #32
PATo355
Regular User

Well 750 euros is a lot , but prices drop when the phones arrive to the states , 700 dollars seems ideal ... remember the RAZR costing about that and more in ebay when it was launched , just wait 3 months after the launch and you can get it for 600 .

Plus remember that metal phones retain the value more than plastic ones , you can still get good examples of a 8890 at 200 dollars , which is more than much more advanced phones like the T610 or Z600

And "powerfull 2 hours talk time " ? WTF is that , i thought 7 to 10 hours was a standard this days

Ebay about the 8890

A new one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...771018040&rd=1

Just the HOUSING !!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...772077507&rd=1

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 AM   #33
gtx28
Regular User

I used to work for nokias data department here in the states. They never came up with anything that blew my sox off. Even my 9290 was not very impressive. Most of the older phones like the 8890 were well made and adiquate but lacked in recent years for build quality. That company vertu used to make a 30000 dollar phone had real wood some of em granite and platinum too much in my opinion. Now i have switched over to motorola im using a v551. And as for the camera in the phone I think its fantastic. Here in fla we have no shortage of beautiful women and awesome cars I see atleast 2 exotic cars every single day, so you better beleave i have half of em on my phone already. But seriously even though the pics arent fantastic its still nice to have.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #34
DeMoN
Regular User

Ive always been a fan of nokia for some odd reason. I love their menues.

Its true about the holding their values... Im about to purchase my third 8890 till the 8801 is available at around 500$

Motorola, for me, has nasty menues... Nokia 1st, Samsung 2nd IMO

Too bad the 8801 has 3 hours talk time... hope they fix that before releasing.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 AM   #35
coloradosilver
Regular User

Here's where I got that price from, I don't know that it's accurate.

Originally Posted by DeMoN

Here are the specs for the 8800

It will be GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 so that means it will work for T-Mobile. It wont work for Sprint/Verizon/Nextel as those are not GSM. Any US phone carrier in the US (With CHIP) can have this phone working. It supposedly works in up to 5 continents. (This phone will cost around 700 US Dollars)
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:14 AM   #36
gobs3z
Regular User

SGH-D720 is at the top of my list. The slider has seem to have caught my eye, and this one is at the top of the list. Right now i've got a Motorola V551 and am very happy with it, it was cheap and does A LOT, even has bluetooth which samsung is just starting to put on their phones.

P.S. If you want to spend $5000-$26000 on a phone click here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...770911251&rd=1

Its the Vertu Signature

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #37
extraducksauce
Regular User

i guess. Personally, I think that $700.00 is a bit pricey just for a phone.

I'd rather spend my money on a versitile phone: treo 650. I bought the treo 600 and think it's worth every penny.
extraducksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #38
DeMoN
Regular User

If you like techie phones then yeah, your choice is better. For me, honestly, I just need address book, make and receive calls. Thats it. Other than that, I want it to look cool therefore, 8801 is the one for me =D