Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-25-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default ***Shanghai Formula 1 GP 2004*** RACE

{EDIT}
well what a race, first time schumi finished a race with out points since 1999 or 8 i think in OZ when he finished 9 i think.

but i think was a good race, but what a good drive by barrichello, and schumi sets fast lap on the final lap, but i wounder what would of been the outcome if schumi didn't spin out... and what is up with the BAR teams colors?

{EDIT}

New circuit so no real history to report.

Circuit map

The overtaking opportunities are into turn 1, turn 7 and turn 8 in the above circuit map.

Circuit designed by Hermann Tilke and features some elevation changes unlike his other circuits. Really long straight.

Friday Practice
Dominated by Anthony Davidson of BAR whos was nearly a second faster than Button who was second fastest. His time - 1'33.289". Michael's fastest lap was 1'34.776 with Rubens about .35 secs ahead. Villenueve was about .35 secs slower than Alonso but both drivers were about a second slower than Schumi so quite disappointing. Ralf was back to speed very quickly having been faster than Montoya thru both sessions

Saturday Practice
The first practice session recorded slower times than Friday ... Ralf was quickest with 1'34''. Things improved in Practice 2 with the usual suspects back on form - Ferrari 1-2 with Michael doing a 1'33.448" and Rubens .35 secs behind. Kimi finished third fastest with 1'34.042 - impressive considering Mclaren did not do many laps at all - he shaded Coulthard by a huge margin.

Final Qualifying

Source: www.formula1.com

- Rubens on Pole
- Michael does a boo-boo - spins in turn one and aborts the lap. He will start from P20 - should be interesting race. I noticed that he was posting pretty slow times in the warm up lap - possibly his tires weren't up to temperature when braking into turn 1. Its rare that Michael doesnt take pole in a new circuit.
- Webber had tank slapper but didnt cause hime too much time
- Ralf beats Monty by 0.4
- Kimi is on P2 just 0.17 behind the pole man Rubens

Driver quotes - Qualifying
http://www.formula1.com/race/news/2263/729.html

Qualifying videos - onboard laps
http://f1videos.sites.uol.com.br/ --> no registration reqd

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:08 AM   #2
vexor
Regular User

Turn one and two should be very interesting on the first lap.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:18 AM   #3
stracing
Regular User

very interesting
with the championship sewn up, i don't mind seeing schumi start from last. i want to see him pass ppl
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:29 AM   #4
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by stracing
very interesting
with the championship sewn up, i don't mind seeing schumi start from last. i want to see him pass ppl
Exactly ... I am glad that it happened now and not earlier when the championship was open. I hope he can fight his way back to the front like in Monza. Schumi must have forgotten what it means to start from dead last - can't remember when this last happened to him - Suzuka 1999 rings a bell....

I think it will be a fun race. I just hope he doesn't bash into a Minardi 50 metres into the race though ....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 09-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #5
dingo
Regular User

This is promising, maybe he did it on purpose...winning from last on the grid is about the only thing he hasn't done this season.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:37 AM   #6
stracing
Regular User

it was suzuka 1998. i don't think it was his fault as well, some eletronic glitch on the start line forced him back of the grid.

i just hope he passes montoya...that would be bliss
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:43 AM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

^^ Yep I remember now it was 98. At least his overtaking skills if a little rusty (as he is usually up in the front) will be sharpened up somewhat with Monza and now China

Old 09-25-2004, 07:03 AM   #8
davide
Regular User

This is gonna be a very very interesting race indeed!!
Old 09-25-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
Vansquish
Regular User

No kidding...we've even got JV back in a car

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
aks
Regular User

Kimi P2 and Michael P20!! thank god it's holidays cos this is one race i am gonna definately watch!! pls pls pls don't fail McLaren F1 cars!!

My Car: Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Selespeed 5-Door (Black Exterior/Red Leather Interior/Sunroof/17 inch Alloys/Tinted Windows/Rear Parking Sensors)
aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
sameerrao
Regular User

Prediction for where Michael ends up in the race? Anyone?

I say P3

Old 09-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #12
Max Power

P1 Barrichello
P2 Raikkonen
P3 Shumi
P4 Shumi Jr

Finnaly a race where Michael is a non factor (as compared else where).....hopefully somebody will win other than Ferrari......c'mon Minardi
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

As a co-worker pointed out after Monza, if Michael spins during the weekend, he comes back with a vengance. hs real fight lies up in P11 and 9. Montoya is going to make Schumi earn that spot and Sato wont' be a push over either. Coulthard won't be much of a problem, he'll actually probably drop even further back. All the while Rubens and Kimi will be scrapping it out up front, probably opening up a huge gap ahead of the pack. One that will be overcome in the pits only. Keep in mind, Ferrari usually runs a light fuel load in qualifying so they'll be quick in the first stint. I am suspecting that Kimi is running light too.

While Kimi is talented though the relibility of his car this year has made his ability to finish, questionable. IMO the edge he drives on is beyond what the Mercedes engine can handle. It does have the potential, as Hungary proved but its just too unpredictable as i've said in previous topics.

Mid-field i think Villenuve, Fisichella, Coulthard and Webber are going to be in a race long battle we each other. If you're a Villenuve fan remember, he hasn't been in an F1 car for a year and the previous test probably hasn't been enough to get him fully familiarised with the Renault, so don't expect him to do anything spectacular.

All in all, Shanghai is going to produce one hell of a race. I think we may see Barrichello take win #2 with Michael 2nd or third depending on what happens to Raikkonen. If he can hold on I think it will be Ferrari-McLaren-Ferrari accross the Finish Line, but should his engine or even rear wing( :roll: ) decide to walk out on the job...look for Ferrari-Ferrari-BAR.

All of this of course bars the 1st turn antics inherent to Formula1

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #14
sameerrao
Regular User

I think as Michael will start from the tail end of the grid or in the pits - Ferrari will fuel him up a lot so that he will pit after most of the grid has already done so - that might help him climb a few places. But there is a lot of risk from starting at the back.

Last year Alonso screwed up qualifying and bumped into a Minardi or something within the first 100 metres. That ruined his race. Lets hope he makes it thru the first lap with the car intact.

But I still maintain P3 is on - who will take the win will be between 'chello and Kimi - depends on how their car will respond to the improving track conditions as the race progresses....

ZfrkS62 ... I am glad to see you have a co-worker who talks about F1 ... here in Houston ... I haven't found a single F1 fan among my friends here.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I say Rubens will win and Schumi will take 2nd
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote