Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
toffytofik
Regular User

Default R&T: Nissan GTR - New World Order!

Road & Track: Comparison Test: Nissan GT-R vs. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. Porsche 911 Turbo

Comparison test:

High-res PDF: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...ct_OnTrack.pdf

Styling Analysis:

High-res PDF: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...ngAnalysis.pdf

Technical Analysis:
As noted in this issue's On the Road column, we lost a member of R&T family with Paul's death on February 23 of this year. He composed this technical feature in the hospital shortly before his death.
It is always sad when someone dies like that.
Rest in Peace.

High-res PDF: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...echDetails.pdf

Comparison Chart:

High-res PDF: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...6911_chart.pdf

Last edited by toffytofik; 03-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

"Credit goes to it's sticky tyres".
I love how subtly this comment is inserted in the article........

I just don't believe the GT-R is this quick! I just don't.. Flame away.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
toffytofik
Regular User

^
You know what's funny? I somewhat don't believe it too actually. I think that's what makes me so addicted to it.

* Updated the first post with all of the PDF's (converted to JPG) provided by R&T with the article. *
Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
"Credit goes to it's sticky tyres".
I love how subtly this comment is inserted in the article........

I just don't believe the GT-R is this quick! I just don't.. Flame away.
Of course it's Potenzas are softer compounds and more sticky but comparison chart states that GTR pulls 1.01g on the skidpad while both Z06 and 911 Turbo pull 0.99g. Not that much of the overall cornering grip advatnage really... There's certainly more than just a plain sticky tire advantage our "jesus mobile" has.

Last edited by toffytofik; 03-19-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
torrentjunkie
Regular User

i want one
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
yg60m
Regular User

Impressive performance which confirms the european's results (EVO, CAR ). This GT-R is a winner without doubts ... even if the sticky tires are an advantage
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by yg60m View Post
Impressive performance which confirms the european's results (EVO, CAR ). This GT-R is a winner without doubts ... even if the sticky tires are an advantage
The point is that without the tyres it will suck

A GT3 RS without Sportcups is still one of the most competant cars on the planet... without race spec tyres the GTR is just another 4,000lb sedan...

BTW. didn't Nissan try this once before - with the long forgotten Mid4?

Last edited by RC45; 03-19-2008 at 10:16 AM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Oooh. Gordon Murray. He still looks like he's stuck in the 80's. Or is that a stock photo?
They should've asked him about the packaging of the car, rather than sheet metal design. Opportunity missed.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
The point is that without the tyres it will suck
Indeed, it won't go far on the rims alone.

A GT3 RS without Sportcups is still one of the most competant cars on the planet...
Which planet Mars or maybe Venera? And why GT3 RS? Why not the GT3 RSR? Or better GT1? It's even more competent, especially at Jupiter!!! Why are talking about race cars out of a sudden?

without race spec tyres the GTR is just another 4,000lb sedan...
Yeah, there're lots of these 4,000lb sedans made once in a while that instantly beat Porsches as soon as you change to 140 treadwear.

Sorry for making a joky replies. It's just somehow i guess it's rather pointless to sensibly argue with you on the GTR.

GTR HATERS UNITE!!!

GT-R Hater's Club Official Haircut:

Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by toffytofik View Post
Indeed, it won't go far on the rims alone.
Oh - not to forget, when you need to adjust the pressure in your tyres youhave to go to a certified GT-R dealer to get the nitrogen topped up... o lose your warranty

Which planet Mars or maybe Venera? And why GT3 RS? Why not the GT3 RSR? Or better GT1? It's even more competent, especially at Jupiter!!! Why are talking about race cars out of a sudden?
The GT3 RS was only mentioned because it's just about the only other car being sold with race car like tyres... the RS as them for track day junkies to enjoy, while the GT-R has those tyres just so it can stay safe on public roads... considering it weighs as much as a large double decker bus.

Yeah, there're lots of these 4,000lb sedans made once in a while that instantly beat Porsches as soon as you change to 140 treadwear.
You better enjoy it while youcan, because the moment the tyres go off, the car wll be slower than a Boxster....

Sorry for making a joky replies. It's just somehow i guess it's rather pointless to sensibly argue with you on the GTR.
Sensibly argue?

What argument?

Argument would imply you guys have a chance at winning (as opposed to whining)

From day 1 we simply stated: In order for the GT-R to deliver the supposed performance numbers it is being waaaaaaay underrated on power and/or has very sticky tyres - far stickier than any of the competing cars get STOCK.

You side of the table said that neither of these things are true... and now it turns out that BOTH are the case

Lets see these same tests repeated when the Porsche and Corvette have got the tyres installed that the owners put on.... because then the GT-R's advantage is gone.. and day after day, lap after lap, street mile after street mile, the lighter car is always more desirable over the "technological" car

And it is in the real world of actual owner experience that this car needs to live and survive, not the world of Internet Geeks and Magazine Bench racers

GT-R Lovers Club Haircut?

I mean, the levels you guys go to pile on the bullsh.....
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

This is the same deal with the new Shelby GT500 KR.... VERY aggressive tires make it outcorner even a Ford GT... even with 3900 lbs... try lasting more then 5 hot laps on a challenging circuit...
Old 03-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
79TA
Regular User

estimated as tested price FTW!
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #13
toffytofik
Regular User

Guys, you know what? I'm not the new Nissan GTR nut to be honest!

If i had this kind of money, i'd jump in the six year old NSX-R without a single thought with the big smile on my face and forgot what the GTR is. You see i love lightweight cars, i prefer RWD over AWD, i prefer full manual gearbox over DSG (even if it's slower), i love high-revving NA engines... in other words i love and respect pure sportscars. And i see all previous gen GTRs as such, but unfortunately not the new one. In fact the only GTR i'd be happy to own is the R32 Skyline GTR (R33 and R34 are really good too, but they're hardly any different from the R32, a tad faster but also heavier, anyway i'd easily pick them over the new GTR anyday as they're still more "pure" and much more appealing to me).

So why do i like the new GTR then? Well, the car that has been engineered up to the smallest bits during 5 consequent years, with such impressive technology and attention to details applied, that happened to be so good that in fact made myself doubting it's performance, deserves some respect in my book. Yeah and most of all i like the way this GTR phenomenon pisses some people of. Thre're so many haters and doubters who can't believe it is really that good and generally hate it more than any other car on the planet.

(I'd like to drive it, but i wouldn't buy it )
(Dunno 'bout V-Spec though... )
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

I would like to drive one, if it will go faster than 112mph...

Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Minacious
Regular User

I'll wait until they start shipping actual production models over the pond before I have any real opinions on the thing.