Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 08-07-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default Porsche News

so what about the latest Porsche rumours....
i`ve seen that following topic on some sites today too, so it`s not only me dreaming
back to the roots, to motorsports??? head of Porsche W.Wiedeking postponed that topic for the developement of the Cayenne.
sometimes i hate the Cayenne because shortly before finishing off the development of the Porsche Carrera GT as a LeMans racing car, the development team was called to help with the development of the new Porsche SUV, so the CGT LeMans racing car died...for now ( in Weissach there are also some rumours to go back to LeMans after the CGT is running well as a road car )
so no new motorsports activieties for my friends at Weissach HQ but something Mr. Wiedeking promised that would never happen:
a Porsche with a diesel engine. Porsche`ll take the 5.0 V10 diesel engine from the Touareg and upgrade it to approx. 370hp.
this desicion has been made to satisfy the euro market due to the criticism of the high fuel comsumption of the petrol driven Cayenne.
so again this is only a rumour, but it makes really sense to me: don´t get me wrong i don`t like diesel engines in sportscars, BUT the Cayenne is no sports car it´s a SUV. and when Porsche is making profit out of it, and i think the will, i`m happy, because then they can invest in the real sportscars and motorsports.
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
1zippo1
Regular User

Some very interesting info. Didn't expected this, but it doesn't bother me either. If they would have done this with the 911... that would be a total other story. The cayenne is not a sports car as you said.

st-anger you really are a very big Porsch fan. I'm glad you are and other people like you (TT, ...) keep me updated on the car scène.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Some very interesting info. Didn't expected this, but it doesn't bother me either. If they would have done this with the 911... that would be a total other story. The cayenne is not a sports car as you said.

st-anger you really are a very big Porsch fan. I'm glad you are and other people like you (TT, ...) keep me updated on the car scène.
i´m glad you like my posts...
concearning to the Porsche fan thing....well maybe you don`t know, but some years back i worked for them at the EZW in Weissach (..the motorsport departement of Porsche ) and this was probably the best time of my life...and after that experience everybody`d love Porsche.
it`s the next best thing after my wife...or even the best j/k
:arrow: so if you ever have questions about Porsche, don`t hesitate to ask me...
Porsche 911
Old 08-07-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
jon_s
Regular User

(glad to see you got you avatar sorted mate! LOOKING GOOD........I can't help but make Broooooooooooooom noises to go along with it!)
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 04:14 AM   #5
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
(glad to see you got you avatar sorted mate! LOOKING GOOD........I can't help but make Broooooooooooooom noises to go along with it!)
yep thx mate, me too.....brooooom, broooom
Porsche 911
Old 08-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
st-anger
Regular User

the latest 997TT pics:

winter testing 997C
Porsche 911
Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
st-anger
Regular User

this is a good comparison to the 997TT pictures:

...those are looking quite equally, BUT this is the prototype of the 2005 987 Boxster seen at Porsche’s Weissach proving ground on the outskirts of Stuttgart. the roadster is estimated to hit the road in winter or spring ´04/´05 the coupe a year later.
the details for indicating of beeing a Boxster are:
-two seater
-mid engine layout (note the blacked-out rear side windows and firewall behind the seats)
-long wheelbase ( today’s Boxster have a 6.35cm longer wheelbase than the 911 )
-muscular hip line
-short rear overhang
-small spoiler

Porsche`ll again use the 2.7-liter and 3.2-liter flat-six engines but with increased power ( ~235 for Boxster, ~270 for Boxster S ) and a six-speed double-clutch manual gearbox similar to the system offered on the Audi TT. After the launch of the Roadster and Coupe, a series of performance modells are planned, including a stripped-out Boxster Clubsport model.
Porsche 911
Old 08-09-2003, 10:10 AM   #8
st-anger
Regular User

- Cayenne V6 Targa spotted in Leipzig factory -

a friend of mine arrived back from Porsche factory in Leipzig this morning and he immediately came over to tell me the latest news:
he saw a reference model for the Cayenne Targa V6 with 6-speed manual.
the handle seems to be quite large for a Porsche shift handle, and also some other interiour changes can be seen, like the ventilation system’s buttons. if you ever had the chance to look inside a Cayenne S or TT you`ll see two separated silver buttons to adjust airflow and temperature of the aircondition on each side. the V6 modell he saw has only one big silver button on each side, which indicates that automatic aircondition won’t be standard on the V6. The glass roof itself has two partitions upfront, one above the front seats and one above the rear seats. Both looked to be moveable. Next to it is a fixed large glass roof covering the trunk area. so he said that it`s quite as airy in the Cayenne Targa as it`s in the 996 modell because of the fact that really the whole roof consists of glass.

cameras are forbidden inside the factory, so here is a photoshopped pic of a 955TT Targa:
Porsche 911
Old 08-09-2003, 10:59 AM   #9
1zippo1
Regular User

I'm not so sure about the new 911 & boxster. I don't really like those air intakes behind the doors. But we'll just have to wait and see.

I think it's strange however that they changed the appearance of the boxster in such a radical way. I know folks who say the boxster is much more attractive then the 911. I don't agree, but won't porsche loose a lot of potential customers in the future when they make the Boxster look so much like a 911.

Well it's kinda normall that the standard equipement of the V6 cayenne is less then in the other models. Porsche is trying to compete with the Merc ML & BMW X5 off course, so they had to make a lower priced model. This Targa doesn't look that bad at first sight, but the back of the car still looks a bit weird, pitty.

Thx for all the info st-anger
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
st-anger
Regular User

IMO especially the new 911 generation will definately look very cool...a modern car with some "old style" elements from the 993. i`m really looking forward to its release. about the boxster....hmmm.... i`ve never been a real boxster fan..it´s like "i`d like to.... but can`t afford a decent Porsche"! i`d definately go for a BMW Z4 instead.
....well i really can`t understnd why ppl say a Boxster is more attractive than a 911either... :roll:
but something has to be done after 7 years with the old Boxster and over 6 years 996, just look at the production numbers:

2003:
Boxters ~ 20000 units
911 ~ 25000 units

2004:
Boxter -50% 10000 units
911 -30% 17500 units

and now just look at the figures for the Cayenne, which is IMO one of the smartest steps of Porsche and now launching a diesel Cayenne...respect.
so i can`t really see the point of some ppl who are complaining about the Cayenne nowadays, it`s good looking, faster ( "better" ) than any other SUV. and it sales as hell.
955 figures for 2003:
Cayenne ~ 25000 units

2004:
+37.5% 40000 units

so the main production won`t be sportscars in 2004, so nobody can say the 955 is useless, ugly, Porsche`s biggest mistake or whatever....
if it hasn`t that high fuel consumption i`d purchase one right away on monday...
Porsche 911
Old 08-09-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
TT
Regular User

Hehe, I agree with you dude. The Cayene hit hard and bring home serious money! And now with a smaller engine and a diesel one, it would even improve IMO...

BTW, here Cayennes begin to be everywhere... look this pic.. I tried to take a Murci in pic, but the camera took ages to take the pic, so I almost missed the Lambo... but look what was there? LOL, a Cayenne! Just by chance... in some month, I'll try to take a random pic with my eyes closed in town and there will be 4 Cayennes in it

Old 08-10-2003, 06:25 AM   #12
sportVeloce
Regular User

In LA there are Cayennes everywhere. They are getting good penetration into that market. Its cool how they still maintain the real porsche look.

TT -> Nice pic. Thats funny... you nearly missed the Murceilago and got a Cayenne. Hehe... Nice to see you out with your cam ready for any Lambos. Was it a special trip or do you carry your cam everywhere?

Owning a Lancia is like being in love with a beautiful woman, who doesn’t care if you live or die
Old 08-10-2003, 06:39 AM   #13
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by sportVeloce
TT -> Nice pic. Thats funny... you nearly missed the Murceilago and got a Cayenne. Hehe... Nice to see you out with your cam ready for any Lambos. Was it a special trip or do you carry your cam everywhere?
Usually when it's a nice day, I bring the camera with me, just in case
Old 08-11-2003, 07:04 AM   #14
st-anger
Regular User

- no mobile phones for visitors -
- 8 for 911-

due to industrial espionage with the new Mulit Messaging System mobile phones, Porsche can`t permit visitors with such a mobil phone to their factories.
the funny thing is that a ( ....now ex- ) employee made the picture of the GT3 RS
right after that VW and BWM also can`t permit MMS mobile phones for visitors any more....

this info is already quite old but maybe some don`t know yet...
the spy shots from the 997 indicates big news for Porsche enthusiasts:
flared wheel arches, door sill extensions and a significantly increased rear-track width.
the wider track will mean even more impressive handling, but more importantly, increased space in the engine bay would provide room for an eight-cylinder engine for the first time in a 911.
although Porsche isn`t confirming anything, instead the company has hinted an evolution of the existing 3.6ltr. flat six engine. this leads to the conclusion that the rumoured 450hp 5.0 ltr. flat-eight engine is a addition to the 6cyl. or the "S" version. but it would be nice to have a 5.0ltr. 8cyl. ..... even nicer after turbocharging it....
there are said to be no less than thirteen variants of the 997 scheduled, starting with the six-cylinder Carrera Coupe in spring 2004. new models will be rolled out at six-month intervals, with cabriolet and targa models to follow, and both Turbo and GT variants as well as the S. The S is likely to be more comfort-orientated than the all-out Turbos and GTs, and will come in coupe, targa or cabriolet form. Expect also Carrera 4 4WD models.

...another interesting info from german magazine "Auto Motor Sport":they recently talked of a two-door "Kombi-Coupe" to rival the BMW M3, powered by that V8 engine - mounted at the front...
Porsche 911
Old 08-12-2003, 02:01 PM   #15
AlienDB7
Regular User

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2004@$Porsche@$911%20Turbo%20Cabrioletg.html
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote