Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #31
yellky
Regular User

red is red, means STOP and he just fuked up

young Lewis is really a great driver and has the possibility to drive a great car (despite the fact it was illegal (stolen i should say) last year..) - but damn! he makes WAY too many mistakes.

good to see KUB in BMW (instead of Ferrari or McLaren) 'cos F1 would become pretty boring
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #32
Mattk
Regular User

I honestly think the fault there lies with the 2 cars at the front of the pit lane straight... IF they hadn't tried to over take each other in pit lane which is a big NO NO!, Hamilton would of been able to avoid both cars.
He also would have gone straight through past the red light. A bigger no no. At least the first two stopped.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #33
mts6800
Regular User

Exclamation Canada + SC = Pit lane red light!

This was not the first time the red light caught drivers out. Last year Massa blew thru it and was DQ. Montoya did the same few years back,

Pitting under the SC at Canada is almost guaranteed to have a red light because from the time a car peels off into the pits till it's serviced and in pit lane the SC will not yet have cleared the blend line from the pits.

It was interesting to see Kimi and Robert (Kubica) side by side at the red light. I think when the light goes green they can race for position. Just don't cross that blend line!
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #34
SHIZL
Regular User

this time it wasnt kimi messing up in his breaking hehe rookie mistake by hamilton hopefully they improve the track next year
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #35
5vz-fe
Regular User

Bullish Hamilton: There is no stopping us

Tuesday 10th June 2008

Lewis Hamilton is refusing to let his Canadian GP mishap get him down, saying if he hadn't crashed he would've "destroyed" the rest of the field.

Starting from pole position, Hamilton easily etched out a seven second lead over the competition. However, his advantage was undone when the Safety Car came out on lap 17, resulting in the field bunching up.

Two laps later and Hamilton was out of the grand prix after a mistake saw him rear end Kimi Raikkonen. It was a disappointing end to a promising race for the 23-year-old.

However, Hamilton is refusing to let it get to him as he reckons had it not been for the accident he would be destroyed the competition.

"This will make no difference. It hasn't knocked me confidence-wise, I'm not gutted or disappointed," he said.

"It is not going to take me a day to recover or anything. I'll be up first thing training and really looking forward to Magny-Cours.

"Going forward, the mood is strong. The fact is we destroyed everyone at the weekend. With the car we have right now there is no stopping us."

Speaking of the penalty, which was handed to Hamilton after he crashed into the back of Raikkonen's stationary Ferrari which had stopped for a red light at the end of the pit lane, the Brit said: "The rule is silly.

"We are in the race - how can you see a red light at the end of the pit lane? But that's the rule and I accept it.

"I start ten places back in the next race. It's a bit harsh really. I didn't aim to ruin anyone's race."

One person who firmly believes Hamilton can bounce back from his Canadian disappointment is McLaren team doctor Aki Hintsa.

The Finn explained: "We can measure the mental stress levels in the drivers as well as fatigue.

"Lewis has improved physically and mentally since the start of the season. His statistics are very impressive and from those I can tell you this will not affect him one little bit."

Check out Lewis's latest comments
Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #36
5vz-fe
Regular User

I bet he aim for Kimi.

"We are in the race - how can you see a red light at the end of the pit lane? But that's the rule and I accept it"

Maybe he should try to re-acquire his Super License again.

I find Lewis was more political friendly in the beginning of last year and tend to choose his words wisely. This year is totally off wack.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #37
styla21
Regular User

I've been thinking the same thing of late 5vz-fe. I'm not going as far to call Lewis a Diva, but certainly is showing a lower tolerance for making pleasing media comments.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #38
silentm
Regular User

what a great race, i was laughing really when hamilton hit kimi... how unfortunate what a dumbass. red is a signal color you really should be able to see it, it's not like you get tunnelvision doing 80 km/h in the pitlane eh?

looks like this time the tarmac really made the race interesting, but i guess it's not really something that shoud be happening on a F1 track. i'm still amazed how the drivers were able to keep it together, most of the time.
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #39
mts6800
Regular User

Default Seeing the Red Light

Lewis needs to think when he makes these remarks "how can you see a red light..." Well, it was pretty obvious that 2 drivers in front of him saw it!

Lewis is still learning how to race in F1. He is a great driver but there's more to F1 than that. He can just mark it up as another lesson learned.

I disagree with Lewis, I don't think the penalty was harsh, it was an avoidable accident. If Kimi wasn't there and the exit was clear would Lewis have blown thru the red light? That would mean a DQ for him and the excuses would have been great reading!

The McLaren team should have told him watch the light, it's red. That's no real excuse though as it's the driver's responsibility to know it's there.

No matter what he says, this is going to hurt his chances, every point counts. The 10 spot penalty will probably cost him some points too.

Poor Rosberg, I think he was too focused on following Lewis that when he saw things not right it was too late to stop.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #40
szumszer
Regular User

diva, what would make anyone think lewis is a diva ... LEWIS is a DIVA
not only a diva, but delusional as well, he has not destroyed anyone this year and French GP won't be where he destroys anyone either ... the only thing he destroyed so far is a chance to become the first F1 driver to win the championship in his rookie year (he had it in the bag until he tried to put his personal "spin" on things)
he is as talented as he is mistake-prone and immaturity he displays is disappointing considering the potential
I think lewis will find himself in a tough spot next year when his team mate gets up to speed and will be in direct competition with lewis
on a lighter note, robert did a good job as the third best driver by winning in Canada, what made the event special is the fact that he nearly killed himself there last year (if that accident occured 10 years earlier he would not be racing today)
he real problem with robert is that he shows great pace when alone/qualifying, but does not race well with other drivers ... when was the last time he passed anyone ... really
look at alonso and massa or even lewis for that matter ... robert needs to become a racer before he can be a championship caliber driver as the track cannot always be empty in front of him
he needs to improve in this regard and hook up with one of the other two big teams (ferrari or mclaren) before he can be considered a contender as his championship lead will be short-lived once kimi wins in France
the only thing a hamilton can destroy is the winning championship bid as shown last year by the rookie and a carrera gt as recently severly damaged by his father ...
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #41
yellky
Regular User

Originally Posted by szumszer View Post
he real problem with robert is that he shows great pace when alone/qualifying, but does not race well with other drivers [....]
robert needs to become a racer before he can be a championship caliber driver as the track cannot always be empty in front of him
are you kiddin' me?
here's my favourite example:

Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #42
styla21
Regular User

Well put, Yellky Kubica is unreal.

When I think about it, how did Lewis NOT see two stationary F1 cars infront of him?? Or the flashing red light? I mean what exactly was he looking at then?
Of course it wasn't intentional; I just can't figure out what we would have been looking at haha..
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #43
5vz-fe
Regular User

I agree, the first vid is great!! I will definitely put Kubica infront of Lewis. Only time will tell for infront of Kimi. In my books, he's definitely better than Lewis.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #44
Mattk
Regular User

he real problem with robert is that he shows great pace when alone/qualifying, but does not race well with other drivers ... when was the last time he passed anyone ... really
Well, I think those videoes say it all, really. Kubica is definitely a racer. He's better in qualifying, I agree, but he can still cut it with the best.