Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 08-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
komotar
Regular User

Default Ford Focus ST

Ok, I'm back...lol, how many times have I said that before...

I have ton's of work (so what else is new) and I have TONS of pics and reviews waiting in line, but I was very impressed with this car and it just couldn't wait.

First off, I was editing the pics in the office and there we have really cool computer monitors....and when I came home today and I saw these pics, I was just a little bit dissapointed...some are waaay to dark, but what the hell....

here goes:

Exterior

Well, I have got to hand it to the Ford people. At first glance the only things I saw were buffed lines, but when I got closer to the car things became much more diversed. The details are often the ones that make the car special. And this one has lot's of them. Inside and out. First thing I saw was the ST badge on the side. Didn't quite like that touch. To bling, bling. On the other hand the one on the back tickles the spectators brain in a second. ST, who knew two simple letters could do so much to the imagination.
Let's move on. They added a nice touch to the wheell arches (back wheels) with three little small ribs. Seems so unimportant, but it just isn't. The spoiler on the back, two serious looking exhaust pipes and the badge liven up the back end. To tell you the truth, when the new focus came out, I really couldn't see where they could go (design wise) with those lines when it would come to making those lines look sporty, cool and so up to date. They managed just fine.
The front liscense plate looks like it want's to hide the big "mouth" of the ST. Funny thing. If you look at the car from the front (dead center) it really looks like nothing special and one would struggle to find anything more exciting that a dead fly on the front bumper....well, lots of them
The whole thing is a bit spoiled with an extra pair of doors (damn the editor for not geting the first test car, the 3 door which also had better looking rims ).
And then there's the orange colour. Oh yes, the orange colour. Who would have thought It looks so damn good on that car, but personaly I'd go for the white colour with titanium wheels.....

Interior

Here things get really interesting. First, the seats. They hold you on very well, but they lack support in the upper part of the torso. And to tell you the truth, I have a feeling they could do better in terms of support. The leon TFSI or the "oirdinary" civic have firmer sits. Who knows, maybe they're holding out on us, for something even more special, but then you start to wonder, what bucket seats will the next type R have :roll:

The first thing the driver notices are three little dials on top of the dashboard. The one in the middle, showing if the turbo is being lazy or of it's doung a hard day's work. The other two show the oil pressure and temperature. Fun little things. The sppedo and rev limiter look fresh, not like most of the ST's opponents....
The steering wheel feels nice and is precise in those white knuckle moments. And that's what really matters. The cabin is well made, the plastics are soft and the whole thing is very well put together. Go ford!
I could go on about the xenon lights and 6 CD changers and good sound system, but who really cares...

How does it drive?

Where do I start? Well, I couldn stress enough, how well balanced the car is. The grip levels are imencley high. (it has been raining in the last few days....). First you feel the front slipping just a tad, but then the rear comes along for the ride. The sound that comes from the 5V engine is a treat. Low revs there's nothing....above 2k rpm or so the sound starts getting interesting...especialy if you blip the throttle (response is very sharp, but could be better) while standing still...then you start moving, and the sound that is pleasingly lound and refined at the same time makes you grin. But the best bit awaits the driver at the 6.500 rpm. The note sharpens in an instant and the engine or better, the exhaust scream from "pleasure" as did I when I first floored it...

On the limit, the car is unbelivabley refined, calm and composed, that's if the driver knows what he's doing. I'd say the ST ( in terms of being a hooligan) is just in between the golf GTI and the megane RS. Just right, I'd say. The driver can make swift progress without breaking a sweat. Seriously, be it the autobahn or a country road, you find yourself being much faster that other even though you've said to yourself a few miles back, that you'll be taking it easy. And that's a good thing.

Not so cool is the amount of fuel this baby is ready to dring. My first day (without trying hard.......really) I almost started laughing. 25 litres of gas for 100 km's. And that number can rise. No problem. I guess, the average would have to be around 15-18 l. Depends on how much stressfull your day was 8)

What are the most positive features of the car?

That's a no brainer. The looks, the handling and the noise. All combined in a really nice mixture of fastness (I'm inventing new words here, lol) and charisma. It attract attention like a 600 pound whore, but that could go bothe ways. Positive or negative....it depend's on how desperate or horny you are you are

Oh, and then there's the price. Here in SLO about the same as the GTI and cheaper that the Megane RS. Didn't have the nerves to navigate trough the opel site, because I'm in a hurry. All in all, it's a fair price for what you get. And you get a lot!

Conclusion

If you have the money, there's no thinking to be done. Get in the car and visit the nearest ford dealer. Great price, great handling, very good interior and cool looks. In the hot hatch world this is the one to have at this moment.....well untill the type R comes.

One little secret....if you can't afford it....then there's allways the fiesta ST. Less powerfull, but in my honest oppinion just as fun to drive. The fiesta ST is STILL my favourite racer ingoring the big boys.

But the ornage colour, the turbo, the bigger boot and the jaw dropping drive are worth the money.

Here are the pics....more will follow.

Hope you enjoyed it and I hope I get to visit this placa more often.

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Kiran
Regular User

Default Re: Ford Focus ST

Originally Posted by komotar
How does it drive?
The grip levels are imencley high and the 4wd comes in handy on wet surfaces (it has been raining in the last few days....). First you feel the front slipping just a tad, but then the rear comes along for the ride.
Euhm, I know you're the expert and I'm not but I do think the Focus ST is FWD.

apart from that fact, thx for the review!! I enjoyed it. Like all the other reviews you've posted earlier.
Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
LotusGT1
Regular User

^
You're right
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2229

Sweet pics btw, love the setting!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
rave426
Regular User

Default Re: Ford Focus ST

OK, please tell me....... How did you get to test this car, is it your car or what. I am curious cause I wanna test something.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Hhmm.. I was under the impression the 2007 Focus ST was an AWD based on the Volvo platform.

Oh well.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
jakaracman
Regular User

Sorry Komotar, but it's FWD - and without an LSD, so it spins the wheel sreally easy even on dry road.

Bu I can only agree with you on one thing: well balaced car tha goes sideways easiliy.

Photos are not mine (as I'm driving), they were made by our staff photographer.

As for the seats: they dont lack support excep on a racetrack (they are the same seats as in new Audi RS4), but they are set too high even in lowest positon. And if I remember properly, you can order "racing" seats.
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
LotusGT1
Regular User

^Awesome pics!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
rave426
Regular User

OMG, what the....CRAP

Somebody let me test a car... You lucky sons-a-guns.

Good reviews, by the way.

RC45 - seriously, do you know of someway to get cars to be tested in your area?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

well, you can go to a local dealer, and see if they'll let you test something.... or know owners of various cars, or have the nessisary credentials for fleet cars.

nice review Komotar, its good to see things are going well for you!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
rave426
Regular User

Lol, if its from the dealership I put up about 100 reviews. Damn near every salesmen at every dealership knows my face, so now when a new car come out I change my attire, and find somebody new to hassel with.

But it seems like, these good men get time alone with car. Salesmen in my area ride around with you.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
dingo
Regular User

Welcome back stranger!

Nice review, definately an appealing little car that interests me. I've been trying to organise a testdrive but Australia only gets 40 of them this year and the local dealer doesn't even have a demo I can drive.

Definately the best colour for it IMO!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
komotar
Regular User

well, what a blow, lol

I was under the distinct impression (never checked the facts tho, my bad) that it was AWD. I could bet on it. And after I drove it.....and now that I'm looking back on it, I'd still say that it feels VERY well balanced and the car sorted itself out a few times during the corner.....me not doing anything.....funny,

Like I said, the front steps out (drove the car in wet and dry) and then the back follows like it would like to correct the mistake that the driver might have made entering a corner to fast.....

anyway, I will correct my mistake ( no doubt the worst I made in my short career, bar none ) .

as for the seats, jakaracman, I felt the lack of support. (I stressed out the upper part) Or maybe my expectations were to high. And on friday we're going to mobikrog, where I'll do some more driving....

And yeah, the sitting position is high.

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #13
TT
Regular User

Thanks for the review! We are starting to have different reviews of same cars, which is always very interesting!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
jakaracman
Regular User

Uf, not to forget: a normal average is about 13 litres per 100 km, whuch is OK, the bad part is that it ios practically impossible to get it (did whole tahnk featherfooted, really saving) to go below 11 ... You can get 9 from Golf GTI, and from first kilometres I suspect taht Astra OPC will go below 10 easily if drive carefully. We'll see, just got it ...
Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
TT
Regular User

During our long testdrive, and we pushed it for a while, we averaged some 14 liters / 100 km I think