Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche > Porsche Pictures and Videos

Old 05-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
the reason to make this car: it's supposed to be a pure sports car (not like the boxter with alot of luxury items on it) for a low price (well alot lower than a 911 anyway). Kinda like a junior-league GT3
While it is true that this car will be very fast and sportier than the Boxster due to a lower weight and better rigidity, don't expect it to be a mini GT3. From what I've heard so far, it's just a Boxster Coupe really - with the same interior, luxury items, etc... And that seems to be confirmed by the performance figure released so far, which aren't much different from the Boxster.

And those fog lights: can anyone say Audi A4...?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #17
gucom
Regular User

yeah ofcourse it won't be so much racecar for the road, but it's also a lightweight sportier version of the base car

btw i wouldn't recognise an Audi A4 if i got run over by it, so any similarities don't bother me
Old 05-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #18
Fleischmann
Regular User

Two more pics:

Old 05-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
Vansquish
Regular User

Back end looks goooood. The front looks a bit too much like a Boxster, but then, it is supposed to be a Boxster coupe. Other than that, the roof seems to bulge up a bit too high in the profile shots. Looks pretty good though.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:46 AM   #20
adamwich
Regular User

The cayman webspecial ->

http://www2.porsche.com/cayman/pd.asp

Old 05-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #21
komotar
Regular User

one of the best looking silhouettes latley. Any class. Those hips are niiiice.

Good looking thing imo.

Go Porsche!

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 AM   #22
adamwich
Regular User

I actually think it looks better then the current 911!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #23
leo_26782
Regular User

For more pics:

http://automobile.nouvelobs.com/mag/...an/galerie.asp
leo_26782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #24
numerouno
Regular User

hires official pics + porsche press release:

The 2006 Porsche Cayman S is based on the Boxster® series, the two-seat coupe incorporates dramatic new styling, a powerful 295 hp (SAE) engine, and features and options made popular by Porsche's current range of sports cars. It is positioned and priced between the Porsche 911® Carrera® and Porsche Boxster S.

While easily recognizable as a member of the Porsche sports car family, the Cayman S has its own distinctive look. Among its unique styling features are its dynamic new coupe silhouette, aerodynamic upper windshield sill, curvaceous rear fenders, fog lamps integrated into the front air intakes, exclusively designed side air intakes, automatically extending rear spoiler, and newly styled dual sport tailpipes. Beneath the new model's distinguishing hatchback is a rear storage area twice the size (9.2 cu. ft.) of that found in the Boxster.

The Cayman S's muscular 3.4-liter, flat-six cylinder engine propels the car from 0 to 60 mph in a quick 5.1 seconds and to a top track speed of an impressive 171 mph. The engine is equipped with the same VarioCam® Plus variable valve timing system as found on the 2005 911 Carrera. It allows the engine to produce its maximum torque of 255 ft. lbs. between 4,200 and 6,000 rpm.

This engine power is transmitted through the Boxster S's standard six-speed manual transmission that has been enhanced for the Cayman S with shortened and more precise shift travel. Offered as an option, the five-speed Tiptronic® S automatic transmission system has been tuned specifically for the new model, incorporating unique electronic and hydraulic control maps.

Handling and safety are enhanced with the fitting of 18-inch wheels and tires and the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) system as standard equipment. The Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system, which allows the driver to select between the comfort of a grand touring car and the track-ready precision of a genuine high-performance sports car at the touch of a button, is available as an option.

The Cayman S will go on sale in the United States and Canada in mid January of 2006 at a price of $58,900 US.
numerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #25
adamwich
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
So the engine on this will sit in the center as it does with the Boxster?
Yes, The cayman is basically the same car as the boxster.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #26
oantob
Regular User

this Porsche Cayman is based on the new Porsche Boxster, but equiped with more power, a 3.4 litre, flat-six cylinder engine. from stand still to 60mph in a quick 5.1 sec. And this car will be on sale in mid January 2006 at a price of *$58,900 / 58,529 €
*according to my source
Old 05-26-2005, 05:45 AM   #27
adamwich
Regular User

More pictures of the new Cayman

http://www.alle-autos-in.de/porsche/...s_a10067.shtml

click on the link "mehr Fotos"
Old 05-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #28
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by adamwich
More pictures of the new Cayman

http://www.alle-autos-in.de/porsche/...s_a10067.shtml

click on the link "mehr Fotos"
Thanks adam, I dig that interior color.

but it's also a lightweight sportier version of the base car
Nope, not even that. It weights 1340 Kgs, 5 more than a Boxster, and 5 less than a Boxster S.

It's still faster tough, thanks to the better rigidity.

Porsche sure did a good job with this car in terms of marketing, but in terms of the product itself it doesn't surprise or appeal to me in any special way, like other Porsches do. And unfortunately, this money oriented fashion in Porsche doesn't seem to end. Because that's just what the Cayman is, if you ask me - a money maker product. They took an old product, gave it a roof, a slightly tweaked engine, a new name and a more expensive price. Simple way of making money, and I'm sure that the shareholders are happy with it.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #29
adamwich
Regular User

More pictures of the cayman

http://www.kronos-porsche.be/FR/new_...man_photos.htm
Old 05-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #30
|Nuno|
Regular User

^^

Sure they need money, but it saddens me when a company like Porsche starts to care more about money than about their costumers. That's all.

They tried to make the Cayman seem more than what it really is, and I don't like that philosophy. Just that.