Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat

Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
obdr
Regular User

Default Just aced the MSF course and got my motorcyle license.

Hello all,

I recently took the motorcycel safety course at the behest of my best friend who has been interested in getting a bike for a LONG time. We ended up taking the course together and had an absolute blast. I'd always entertained getting a bike one day but after taking this course and riding one for about 16 hours in two days......I LOVE it. Im in the process of finding my first bike now.

My intructors recommended I find a nuetral bike that wasnt too powerful or expensive as my first bike. I agree. So yesterday I went to my local Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Buel, Ducati, Yamaha dealer (yeah they had everything there including a Ducati 1098 that was already sold) in search of a 250cc bike. Something like a nighthawk.

While there, the dealer took one look at me and said "you would get bored with a 250 in about two weeks".

Now Im a fairly big guy. Im 6' and I weigh abotu 200 lbs. So this made a little sense to me. The dealer suggested I go for a 600cc bike but just take it easy with the revs and work my way up to being comfortable with its power. Since the power in the 600cc sports bikes come in at higher RPM's it should be easy for me to slowly ease into it according to the dealer. Specifically, he recommended a GSXR 600, an R-6, or a ZX-6R.............

Now here is my question: Im dubious as to wether or not a 600cc sport bike is actually a good bike to start out on. I also agree that a 250cc cruiser might get VERY boring after two weeks. Im 6 feet tall and 200 lbs remmember. So what are my options if I want a good beginner bike that offers more power then a 250, has the style of a sport bike, but wont kill me???????

At the moment, the only answer I have come up with to that question is this:

The Kawasaki Ninja 500cc.

That seems to be the best balance for my needs. But Im not really sure. I only just got into thei motorcycle thing so I dont know my bikes yet like some of you.

Anyway, any advice or help would be much appreciated.

I plan on getting a bike May 1st. Waiting on some money to come in so I can drop $10,000 or so.
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

I will come back and discuss this with you later on when I have more time, but first off I can say that you shouldn't be thinking new bike. Used should be the recipe of the day for your first bike. You are bound to have a few little mishaps (maybe not, some are lucky), but it would be best to have a used bike that you can thrash around and get familiar with. Even though you aced the MSF you will find that there is so much that goes into riding a bike in real-world situtations.

Where do you live?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

I say buy a brand new Hyabusa...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
GT-R_R34
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
why not a ZX 14?
anyways congrats. on getting your M license, personally i would go for a 600cc, but i'll stay with a Honda or Yamaha.
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
obdr
Regular User

hehe, yeah RC45 I just got back from the dealer. Got a Busa. RIGHT!.

So thats good advice on getting a used bike. Went to triangle cycles yesterday and most of thier used bikes were cruiser types which Im not really interested in. They did have a used CBR there awhile ago that I thought might still be there but they shifted that one already...........

So the one used bike they had that caught my eye was a Nighthawk 250 going for under $3,000. But then again.......250cc might not be enough power for me.

Oh well, time to look on cycel trader for a used 600cc bike. Maybe a CBR.
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
TopGearNL
Regular User

Turbocharged ey?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Turbocharged ey?
Yessir - extended swingarm, turbo kit, some nawsss... and then hit the streets to win some coin....

Like that movie.. what was it called? Torque?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ I think it was Bikerboyz..