Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat

Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
GT-R_R34
Regular User

Default exhaust or not

i've been thing of getting an exhaust or not. or just a slip on, but i don't want something so loud like a yosh pipe or leo vince something. the one reason i want an exhaust is for people to heard me coming i almost got hit a coupe of time. any ideas ?
the bike is a GSXR1000
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

I’m still waiting for you to get in contact with me so we can go on a ride.

As far as an exhaust goes, do not get one if you think it will help with being noticed by the average car driver, it won’t. Take that from someone that has had an exhaust on every single bike he has owned. The average car driver just isn’t conditioned to look out for bikes. You could be riding the loudest motorcycle on the earth while wearing neon leathers and holding a yellow flag; the person will look directly at you and still not realize a motorcycle is there. In your case I would also get a slip-on. A full exhaust is unnecessary unless you plan on doing some other worthwhile mods in pursuit of more power. I usually get full exhausts but I also do extensive performance modifications and spend hours on a dyno, and let me tell you, it gets damn expensive. I am a huge fan of Akrapovic Exhaust. Their craftsmanship is one of the top in the game and the sound is a clean, deep, purposeful sound that isn’t obnoxiously loud. It also sounds like heaven when in the high RPM range. For your bike I would get the conical end cap, short can version (pictured below). The long can, traditional end cap version would look too big. A trick I use to keep the exhaust from standing out to Law Enforcement is to order it without the logo on the pipes. This keeps the exhaust looking nice and clean and doesn’t scream out, “Hey look at my cool exhaust.”

Notice, no badging.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
GT-R_R34
Regular User

not a bad choice. i loved Akrapovic but in a Yamaha, i want something original like Remus, but they are hard to find.
and if you want we could meet up when ever. all my friends are busy until Sept. i went to Glendora yesterday, and i was breaking in my new tyre.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
GT-R_R34
Regular User

well after a while of checking prices, i finally made a decision so i got the Remus, sorry Minacious but akrapovik are too expensive for what i was looking for but it was my second choice if i didn't find the Remus. hopefully i'll get it tomorrow and i'll be on the bike sometime saturday, now for tuning and a powercommander.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:50 AM   #5
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

how do you like the exhaust?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
GT-R_R34
Regular User

no bad. i like the sound of it. but i still have the db killer on it. maybe i'll try it this weekend.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
GT-R_R34
Regular User

here are pictures of the bike with the exhaust and my front tire gone and my new rear.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
TNT
Regular User

very nice i like it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
GT-R_R34
Regular User

thanks TNT.

after taking my tyre to be mounted, i get home just to notice they mounted the tyre backward. i'm like don't you see the arrows ? well going back tomorrow to get it fixed.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

Originally Posted by GT-R_R34
thanks TNT.

after taking my tyre to be mounted, i get home just to notice they mounted the tyre backward. i'm like don't you see the arrows ? well going back tomorrow to get it fixed.
happened to me once, when I got my tire changed at cycle gear. stupid bastards... I like the exhuast, I need to get some pics and sound clips, but on my r1, I rebaffled it, so it looks completely stock, but are quite a bit louder than most aftermarket ones, and thru down some big numbers on the dyno, I think it was 161 to the wheel, I need to find the sheet.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #11
GT-R_R34
Regular User

can't wait to see the video. and the dyno numbers 161 whp. i heard a guy said that his zx14 had 160 after some mods now it has around 176 whp