Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
philip
Regular User

Default A car forum self distructing

I post at another car forum specific to Corvettes. Over the last few days long term members have started being banned for openly discussing problems with the forum since its sale and takeover by an internet conglomerate.

It is a real shame. The site after the purchase started adding more ads including video ads which apparently severly effected the speed of the site.

But rather than simply ignoring the comments from members or reading them and fixing the problems, they banned the members for speaking out and deleting their threads.

You can still find hushed threads where members try and explain what has happened, and cautioning about openly posting things critical of the site.

I got the sudden feeling of what it might be like in many countries in the world, when it comes to the internet. Its free, but just watch what you say or where you visit.

Usually one of these hushed threads regardless of the area of the forum ends with a post from the same moderator I had never seen before, calmly pointing out the new situation and the rules. Very Orwellian. Very sad.

I just wanted to thank you all for being you and hoping that you will never change.

Maybe an incouragement to make a donation to help it stay that way.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

JW is a haven - I post on the Toronto Maple Leafs board quite often and it's the same fascist crap there too. :roll:
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
666fast
Regular User

The first forum I ever visited regularly self destructed as well. The owner just kind of went nuts one day and decided everyone wasn't "hardcore" enough for him. That was actually his excuse, the hardcore bit.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
acmarttin
Regular User

The only other forum I post on nowadays is the official Forza 2 forum - and let me tell you, you could divide the average I.Q. of jabasworld.net by 10 and we'd still have the winning edge over the Forza 2 forums. I even met foo's who go out dey way to typ lyk dis on purpose n shit over at Forza.

I love the fact that it's hard to be left out here at JW because you can openly discuss anything you're interested in with anyone. There aren't any dweebs trolling around just so they can call out "OT!!! OT!!! OT!!!" to anyone who tries to diversify conversation.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Glad you all appreciate the fact over the years we have encouraged folks to discuss anything they want as hard core as they want.. and even though there are 5 or 6 folks that really get under the "big man's" skin, he has NEVER considered banning those folks.. as that is not what JW is about... and trust me, I beg him to axe a few peoples accounts every chance i get
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: A car forum self distructing

Originally Posted by philip
I post at another car forum specific to Corvettes. Over the last few days long term members have started being banned for openly discussing problems with the forum since its sale and takeover by an internet conglomerate.

It is a real shame. The site after the purchase started adding more ads including video ads which apparently severly effected the speed of the site.

But rather than simply ignoring the comments from members or reading them and fixing the problems, they banned the members for speaking out and deleting their threads.

You can still find hushed threads where members try and explain what has happened, and cautioning about openly posting things critical of the site.

I got the sudden feeling of what it might be like in many countries in the world, when it comes to the internet. Its free, but just watch what you say or where you visit.

Usually one of these hushed threads regardless of the area of the forum ends with a post from the same moderator I had never seen before, calmly pointing out the new situation and the rules. Very Orwellian. Very sad.

I just wanted to thank you all for being you and hoping that you will never change.

Maybe an incouragement to make a donation to help it stay that way.
You talkin about CorvetteForum? I never liked that place - too many know it alls and polishers but the "For Sale" section is a GOLD MINE...
Old 09-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
philip
Regular User

The guy who posted this is probably next to be banned.

One guy who has over 5700 posts was banned, he joined the forum in 2000.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
79TA
Regular User

haha, nice picture. That's sad to hear though. I also write on the GM insiders forum although it's pretty limited and kind of stagnant, especially compared to JW. They let people freely express anything they want to in the forums but in order to make picture, quiz, whatever submissions, it has to be approved by the board. One of mine had too many laments about the (seemingly permanent) death of the Firebird and it got rejected outright.

In short, hurray for JW.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
TNT
Regular User

for JW
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Minacious
Regular User

I have been a member there since 2000, and sadly, the decline of the forum has been quite apparent. I just peek in from time to time now.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
philip
Regular User

Some recent posts:

"My brother pointed out that one of the vendors advertising had a very poor offer/deal and that another non CF vendor had a better deal. He provided the link to the vendor with the better deal. He was then basically attacked for his post and then CF removed his post F'n CENSORED. As you can see, CF put the $$$ ahead of its members interests "

"I could not care less about the ads. But banning Duntoz-097 is just wrong. If this forum is going to start banning it's members cause of what they say is . If I want to deal with communists I will move to China. Last I looked this was still America. And if you don't like what I have just said you can kiss my American AZZ. "

"uhh, I am willing to bet we won't be hearing from Tom for awhile "

"uh oh"

"Thanks for your efforts to make Corvetteforum a better place for all of us.
If you have opinions, suggestions and complaints regarding the new google ad position, please let the decision makers at Internet Brands know at:
... Redacted ....
Continuing to start new threads on the same topic serves only to make life more difficult than it needs to be for the Forum's volunteer moderators. "

The last post was from a Mod who then locked the thread.

Real sad.

Again thanks Jabba for creating such a wonderful place for us to hang out. I was not here in the beginning so I dont know how great it was, I just know now today its got some of the most interesting and and talented people on the web.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

They are doing an effective job of hiding these posts as I couldn't find any while looking...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
philip
Regular User

Some one had the nerve to put up a poll.

They are starting to get testier.

"this is NOT the place....please stop posting these threads

here: http://....redacted...

The sticky at the top of this page tells you what you need to do..further posting like this adds nothing to this section and may get you time off....everyone has been ask again and again and again to refer to the sticky..please do so...

We have enough to do here without locking these threads

thank you "

Everyone has realized that the posts stay up for a while unless the Mods are constantly vigilent, so at least four or five posts get on before its locked.

I would say things are starting to accelerate rather than calming down. Part of the problem is that unlike here the Mods are not regular posters and no one really knows who they are or cares.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #14
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

..thats why this is home.. 0X

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
MotorWorld
Administrator

hah when I read the topic title I thought it was about JW..

oh well, sucks for you all that I will soon be buying JW and making some sweeping changes...
MotorWorld is offline   Reply With Quote