Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default High school Senior Prom?

I was just told european's dont have this wonderful event at the end of high school... is it true?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

mine was retarded
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
blinkmeat
Regular User

sounds good Beowulf

wish we had a party like that
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
sounds good Beowulf

wish we had a party like that
that sounds spectacular!

as a class, we only spent about $130,000 altogether for that one night which was more then any class before, or since... (we were quite good with money as a class)
Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

more then 100$/plate dinner, an immaculate ballroom, music, the catering, entertainment, limousines, hotel stay.... I graduated with about 330 or so... and not everyone participated, obviously. Not to mention the cost of the tux, and ball room gowns, corsage, etc etc.

then there was the all night senior party too which is what the remainder was spent on... but nothing really compared to a 17 day massive event!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

Nowadays the richer kids also run their own all nite parties. That and some of them will buy 1000 dollar gowns and 1000 dollar tuxs. It has gotten a bit out of hand.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
gucom
Regular User

damn those amounts are insane...

we had some sort of prom after the exams (before the results were in though, otherwise it'd suck for some people), rented a place, some music, it was all organised by school, nothing extremely fancy. Dress code was formal so i guess most people bought an evening dress or suit (no tux) for that (i didnt have 1 before), mine cost my dad € 400... so nothing extreme
't was good fun though but not really wild partying either, more like any other school party but with different clothes
Old 09-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
acmarttin
Regular User

I definitely didn't spend anywhere near that amount, and neither did my school. I wore my own suit that my parents bought me (not for that night - for family formal events.) Borrowed my mom's BMW X5 (it was 2001 so that was pretty exciting - brand new bimmer!) Took my date out to a nice dinner with some of our friends and that was pretty much it. I don't even remember if I got lucky that night or not. Probably not, I was a dork....
Old 09-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
79TA
Regular User

The worst part about American high school proms is the excessive use of makeup by the girls (and possibly some guys? . . . ) At any rate, it was plenty of fun, especially with a '79 Trans Am to drive.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 AM   #10
regele

Nope, no end of high school prom here, we have a prom every year for the newcomers in high school where the miss 9th grade(first grade of high school here) gets picked, but on a smaller scale than what you mentioned and at the end of high school we rent out a hotel somewhere(usually mountain side for our high school) for 3 days or so and do whatever we like(usually get drunk) and in the final night there's a party where you can get drunk with some of the teachers that are there
Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
Mr.Vercetti
Regular User

Same here, no high school prom, these are for lamers . Instead of doing this we go to the so-called "bouzoukia" if anyone knows and we break dishes, we drink wine, and we clap our hands while our ladies dance tsifteteli on the tables
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
gangajas
Regular User

I hate that kind of social acts so I didn't care about not having one. I didn't even go to the University diplomature.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
rusrocket
Regular User

my prom date ended up being a lesbian...i find this out 2 years later...
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #14
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Prom, it self is retarded and pathetic. It's like having a sweet sixteen or barmitzfah for graduating high school. There are a lot better ways for a class to spend $100k+ rather than one night at some cheesey ball room and crap food.

On the other hand, the party afterwards at a bar my friends and i rented out in manhatten was great.. and then taking over a couple of motels down at the jersey shore for the weekend was just amazing.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
rusrocket
Regular User

i agree with bmuller....SENIOR MENS was badass...our theme was "playboy mansion" so basically all the girls have an excuse to show up to a party wearing lingerie and the guys just come in robes...mix that with mass amounts of alcohol and bud and the panties start flying. in fact, the party that we threw made the NEWS on tv. look it up, memorial high school 2005, houston, tx.
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote