Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Speeding and Kids

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_14513.aspx

Kids Stop Speeders Near Their School
Friday September 7, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff

It's been less than a week since kids went back to school, but on Friday, they were the ones who were teaching the lessons. A group of students from St. Luke Catholic School left their classrooms at 9am to target something that could do them a lot of harm - speeders in the areas where they go to school.

They stood with officers armed with radar guns along Ossington near College, while the youngsters made a few mathematical calculations of their own. Both were looking for drivers zooming through the zone. It didn't take them long to find some likely suspects, who were promptly flagged down by the cops and offered a choice - get a ticket or a lecture from the pint-sized patrollers.

You don't have to be in school to guess which one every driver chose. "Your vehicle was found to be going 51 in a 40 school zone," one of the kids told a chagrined motorist. "The probability of you causing my death if you struck me at your speed would be 55 per cent.

With officers sternly watching, the leadfoots were given a chance to respond. "I'm sorry that I was speeding, you know," one acknowledges. "And I'm not going to do it any more."

Among the quick who were captured was someone who should know a thing or two about navigating near kids - an ice cream truck driver.
To be honest, I think kids should start learning how to cross the road properly. Many times do I see kids just walk out without even looking out for cars. Kids with the bikes just dash out of a stop sign. It always sound tragic (probably is) when a kid get struck by a car. But it can be avoided by either side of the party, not just the car driver.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
666fast
Regular User

There was just a story on the news the other night about groups of kids purposely walking in the street to hold up traffic. The cops had lots of fun handing out tickets.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

I say send them all to singapore for some "gentle" spanking. I always believed non-scaring amount of discipline helps kids grow up.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
pagani
Regular User

Default Re: Speeding and Kids

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

Friday September 7, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff

It's been less than a week since kids went back to school, but on Friday, they were the ones who were teaching the lessons. A group of students from St. Luke Catholic School left their classrooms at 9am to target something that could do them a lot of harm - speeders in the areas where they go to school.

They stood with officers armed with radar guns along Ossington near College, while the youngsters made a few mathematical calculations of their own. Both were looking for drivers zooming through the zone. It didn't take them long to find some likely suspects, who were promptly flagged down by the cops and offered a choice - get a ticket or a lecture from the pint-sized patrollers.

You don't have to be in school to guess which one every driver chose. "Your vehicle was found to be going 51 in a 40 school zone," one of the kids told a chagrined motorist. "The probability of you causing my death if you struck me at your speed would be 55 per cent.

With officers sternly watching, the leadfoots were given a chance to respond. "I'm sorry that I was speeding, you know," one acknowledges. "And I'm not going to do it any more."

Among the quick who were captured was someone who should know a thing or two about navigating near kids - an ice cream truck driver.
To be honest, I think kids should start learning how to cross the road properly. Many times do I see kids just walk out without even looking out for cars. Kids with the bikes just dash out of a stop sign. It always sound tragic (probably is) when a kid get struck by a car. But it can be avoided by either side of the party, not just the car driver.
Yes car drivers have to look out for childeren.
Do don't speed in places where childeren can cross over.
Problem solved.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Re: Speeding and Kids

Originally Posted by pagani
Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

Friday September 7, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff

Do don't speed in places where childeren can cross over.
Problem solved.
:roll:
Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

^He's right, in a legal sense because it won't be your fault unless you weren't paying attention. But, kids do have to watch out. Often, though, it is adults who carelessly cross intersections when it's a red light.

I say send them all to singapore for some "gentle" spanking. I always believed non-scaring amount of discipline helps kids grow up.
Non-scaring? This is what they do:
1. Obtain rattan cane (a spiky stick).
2. Get martial arts expert
3. Get prisoner
4. Deliver one stroke on the buttocks
5. Stitch up wound
6) Repeat next day until sentence is complete. From memory, the maximum sentence was 24 strokes.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
^He's right, in a legal sense because it won't be your fault unless you weren't paying attention. But, kids do have to watch out. Often, though, it is adults who carelessly cross intersections when it's a red light.
They could start doing what the cops do here, hand out tickets for not letting someone cross. The only time a car has the right of way is at a stoplight. At a 4 way stop with signs or uncontrolled intersection, you have to let people cross.