Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by R8audi
Thanks, I will check that one out too

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Originally Posted by novass
^ ahh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
Actually if you do not have a huge collection of lenses already, the lack of motor thing shouldn't be a problem because all the new lenses have built in motors already.

Although I find that a 5 Area Focus Points on the D50/D70/D70s to be really useful. So that's why I think that the 3 Area Focus is lacking a bit. The D80 has 11 Area Focus! :shock:
LOL I don't even know what Area Focus is. But bigger is always better I still have some time to decide and I am going to watch some prices so hopefully I can find something.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #17
sameerrao
Regular User

I think a used D50 would be the perfect starter DSLR. You can put it in Auto mode and it will still take decent pics. Later on if you want to experiment, you can play with all the aperture/shutter speed settings.

For $600 you should get
- A used D50
- Nikon 18-70mm lens (great lens of travel shots, close-up work)
- 2 GB SD card
- camera bag

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #18
novass
Regular User

^ Cool. That sounds like what I am after. I need to do a little research on lenses to just to know what all the numbers mean LOL

-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #19
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
I think a used D50 would be the perfect starter DSLR. You can put it in Auto mode and it will still take decent pics. Later on if you want to experiment, you can play with all the aperture/shutter speed settings.

For $600 you should get
- A used D50
- Nikon 18-70mm lens (great lens of travel shots, close-up work)
- 2 GB SD card
- camera bag
Actually that is exactly what I did for my girlfriend. I picked up a brand new D50 from Wolf Cameras/Ritz for $375 (free shipping and no tax to California) or so because it was on sale. And now she "stole" my 18-70mm lens.

Which was the camera you saw me using the other day Nova. I actually like using the D50 over my old D70. I just I found myself not really using the extra features of the D70/D70s as much as I thought I would.

Although I don't think you could get the D50 anymore since technically it has been replaced by the D40x. Wolf Camera is great because you get 10 bucks off if you do Google check out, plus another 5% Cash back if you log through FatWallet's website. And if I recall they ship out of SoCal, like Rancho Cucamonga or City of Industry, or something like that.

A caution about used cameras, I noticed most of the times, they aren't much cheaper than buying new. Many times, you are just saving tax and a memory card. With Nikon Warranties, if I recalled, they are not transferrable (you should check on that just to be sure). That means that the warranty only applies to the first owner. Also grab a program like EXIF reader to see how many Shutter Acutations has taken place. That is sort of like the odometer for the camera, precautions to take.

Yeah, the Rebel XT and XTi are great cameras as well. In terms of function, they are more capable than both the D40x and D50, and to some extent the D70 as well. Although the D80 definitely has a leg up on performance and feature set over the XT and newer XTi, it also cost a few hundred more.

Bottomline, if you were to get the D40x, I would rather recommend you pick up the Rebel XT (350D). But I personally like the D50 the best, and if I had the money, I would get the D80.

Again as RC mentioned before, I would not get too caught up in the specs right now, the limiting factor would be the human behind the camera more than the camera itself.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #20
TopGearNL
Regular User

The D50 is the D70 only the D70 has more buttons..

They're exactly the same..

Don't go for the D40, please no!

I use a D50 myself and the camera is perfect for everything! Its the lenses where you want to spend the money.

Then again if you more new camera and your budget allows it a D80 is a good option, but it has more functions then the D50 and the question is will you use them?

Anyway I would spend less money on the body and more on the lenses, thats what I did..

Go Nikon, join the Darkside!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

http://revision3.com/indigital/cameras

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #22
sameerrao
Regular User

TGNL - Since you mentioned it

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #23
novass
Regular User

^^ LOL

I was thinking about the D80 if I could get a discount, but I can't anymore Without the discount it will be just too damned expensive.

Thanks for the advice Ken. I will check out those places you mentioned and also do some research into warranties. My GF's Dad has the Canon so I think I will borrow it for a day or so and see how I like it.

TGNL - What kind of lenses did you buy? Who makes the best ones?

Erez - Thanks for that link, some interesting stuff there. Especially the naked chick painted like a tiger and the 200-500mm lens :shock:

-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #24
Smartdriver
Regular User

Hello novass, I give you my opinion.
If you search a DSLR to upgrade your quality image (from compact camera to more professional system like DSLR) you must ask you some question:

1) Do you like photography and want to learn and try to improve your technick?
3) I'm only a point-and-shot man?
2) Which type of lenses I will use?
4) How much can I spend in quality lenses?

Choose Canon or Nikon is not so important. Personally I think that both have great Camera body and performance Lenses.
More important is tho choose good quality lenses if you want to use all great performance of DSLR system.
The problem is that lenses are not so cheap...so you must calculate expenses of all system like Camera + often 2 lenses from wide to tele.

Sying this I'm a Canon fan and I work with a EOS 30D. I know, isn't so cheap but with type of camere you can work...yes...not only for amatorial use but also for professional use. Is not so performace like 5D, 1Ds, ecc but it's still amazing. If you want to spend less there is Canon 400D...another great camera, with less functions and also a small price (approximately the half of 30D) but with the hight quality image of Canon Digic processor.

If you cannot touch and test camera who interest you, visit some important digicams website like Dpreview or Steves-digicams and you read the tests. They could help you in the choice.
Smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #25
Erez
Regular User

no prob.. talk about zoom hu..
I think you can see bacteria with it..

Old 04-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #26
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by Smartdriver
Hello novass, I give you my opinion.
If you search a DSLR to upgrade your quality image (from compact camera to more professional system like DSLR) you must ask you some question:

1) Do you like photography and want to learn and try to improve your technick?
3) I'm only a point-and-shot man?
2) Which type of lenses I will use?
4) How much can I spend in quality lenses?

Choose Canon or Nikon is not so important. Personally I think that both have great Camera body and performance Lenses.
More important is tho choose good quality lenses if you want to use all great performance of DSLR system.
The problem is that lenses are not so cheap...so you must calculate expenses of all system like Camera + often 2 lenses from wide to tele.

Sying this I'm a Canon fan and I work with a EOS 30D. I know, isn't so cheap but with type of camere you can work...yes...not only for amatorial use but also for professional use. Is not so performace like 5D, 1Ds, ecc but it's still amazing. If you want to spend less there is Canon 400D...another great camera, with less functions and also a small price (approximately the half of 30D) but with the hight quality image of Canon Digic processor.

If you cannot touch and test camera who interest you, visit some important digicams website like Dpreview or Steves-digicams and you read the tests. They could help you in the choice.
You bring up some really good points. I am not a super photographer, but I would like to become better and I need something more than a point and shoot to help me do that. Ill check out those sites too and see what I come up with.

Originally Posted by Erez
no prob.. talk about zoom hu..
I think you can see bacteria with it..
LOL ya that thing was MASSIVE! :shock: That would work well as a perv lense for seeing chicks changing.

-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #27
Erez
Regular User

I pretty much think thats what all those guys over there at the show was thinking..

Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #28
ae86_16v
Regular User

Hey Nova, since you can't get a discount on Nikons anymore, I guess it is open game. I personally prefer Nikon, but like SmartDriver said, those are good questions to ask.

With that pointed out, Canon does seem to offer better deals with and without rebates than Nikons. Don't know why, but Nikons seems to hold their MSRP price pretty close.

Here is a good deal:

Originally Posted by Dell
Canon EOS Rebel XTi 10.1MP SLR Camera
Dell Home has the Canon EOS Rebel XTi 10.1-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Lens for $764.15 with free shipping. Apply coupon code "XT4XXJQHJ4C3M6" to drop it to $737.18. Altough that's $18 over our last mention, since expired, it's still the lowest total price we could find by $26. Sales tax is added where applicable. The EOS Rebel XTi features a 2.5" LCD, 3 frames per second burst mode, USB 2.0 connectivity, and EOS Integrated Cleaning system which includes a self-cleaning sensor unit. Coupon ends April 19 at 6 pm ET or after 700 uses.
The XTi is an excellent camera. Although few reviews say it isn't up to par with the D80 in certain areas, the D80 is a few hundred dollars more. This might be worth taking a look at.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #29
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
TGNL - Since you mentioned it
Yeah!!

TGNL - What kind of lenses did you buy? Who makes the best ones?
Well I buy Sigma lenses, they are very good for the price but not all of them. For instance the 70-300 (which I have) is very good and the results are very close to a official Nikkor (nikon) lense. But the 18-200 sucks ass of Sigma according to reviews so you will have to do good research before buying lenses.

Sigma lenses cost about half the price what Nikkor lenses cost in most cases. Sometimes looking for a good 2nd hand Nikkor lense also pays off!

I got a kit, so a D50 with a Nikkor 18-55 lense and I like that lense very much, its fast at focussing and puts down good results.

Overall like I said and I think many people will agree with this: Lenses are more important then the body. Remember that if you invest in lenses and want to go a step higher in terms of a body (D50-> D200) you only need to change the body, you can keep the lenses. So investing in lenses is never a bad thing.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #30
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I just had the though of upgrading to the D200 for my sister's wedding this saturday. I'd be willing to sell my D50 with 18-55mm, UV, Polarizer and bag for $500