Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #16
skituner
Regular User

congrants man i just got the same cam same lenes too dident get the battery grip but im thinking about getting one, how do you like?
skituner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #17
ae86_16v
Regular User

TT, I always though you had a Nikon D70. What were you using to shoot before?

The 350D is a great camera, I had the pleasure of using my friend's and it was super nice. What made you choose that over the Nikons?

Reason why I asked is because I am in the same predicament myself. I can't decide between the Canon or the Nikon.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #18
skituner
Regular User

ahhh nikon vs. canon the age old question
i went with canon becaue i already had a 35mm rebel ti with a two lenses and a flash that are compatible with the 350d. i have heard many opionins but its seems like canon is the most popular
skituner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #19
MercedeSChink
Regular User

honestly, facing cameras day in and day out, i would recommend the canon 350d/rebel xt...for the same or even cheaper price, you get a better quality, camera in megapixels and also getting more accessories with canon...i've been an avid photography enthusiast because my family is in the camera industry, and ever since i was young, i've had 35mm nikons, but wen digital came along, canon surpassed nikon and became the dominant company in digital cameras...
Old 11-09-2005, 03:24 AM   #20
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Welcome to the club!

Now start saving up for lenses, as you'll become hopelesly addicted. I'm selling my Sigma 70-300 APO DG to get a Canon 70-200 F/4 L. 8)
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #21
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by skituner
congrants man i just got the same cam same lenes too dident get the battery grip but im thinking about getting one, how do you like?
Hehe, I will tell you in a couple of days

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
TT, I always though you had a Nikon D70. What were you using to shoot before?

The 350D is a great camera, I had the pleasure of using my friend's and it was super nice. What made you choose that over the Nikons?

Reason why I asked is because I am in the same predicament myself. I can't decide between the Canon or the Nikon.
I was using a Canon Powershot Pro 1, SLR-alike like they Canon says
As for the Nikon vs Canon debate, honestly, for the average user, both the D70 and 350D are good cameras.. it's up to personal preferences. I am a Canon man, always had Canon cameras, so it was natural to go for the 350
Old 11-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #22
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Nice TT, glad you can eventually join the 350D club Getting used to mine took a little while but after a few weeks u know exactly where everything is and a complex camera turns into your best friend.

Image quality is superb.

I would give you some advice though - save up for some L lenses instead of buying regular/3rd party.

When you stick an L lense on your 350D you WILL notice the difference, and it REALLY makes the 350D alive. You really aren't unleashing this camera's full potential unless you go for high quality L lenses. I suggest the 80-200 F4L, possibly with an 1.4X extender for track stuff and a smaller L zoom lense - possibly the 350D specific L lenses they do for close up work. This is all you will need for at least a few years

Happy snapping
If you really need the long focal lenght, you're better off with a fast prime (300 or 400mm) than using an extender on a regular base. Allthough the 1.4x is quite okay, you'll still sacrifice a lot of image quality. Other good option is the 100-400 L.

Top-tip for the midrange is the Tamron 28-75 2.8. Very fast for a zoom at F/2.8, optical results are comparable if not better than the Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L. Off course the Canon will focus faster with it's USM, but it's also 4 times as expensive.

Originally Posted by skituner
Get one, you'll love it. Since I bought mine, I only removed it once, to look up the serial number of my camera.

Pro's:
- longer battery-live (I've got 4 batteries, never ran out of them)
- better handling, especially in portrait
- better weight balance with heavier lenses (well, it still looks a bit out of place on the back of, say, a 70-200 2.8 IS)
Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 AM   #23
stmoritzer
Regular User

Congrats to your new camera, nice read how you got it

Well, since you mentioned to take both cameras with you at the beginning, could you take picture of the same object/car with both cameras to show us the differences? -> discussion about the 2 cameras

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #24
MercedeSC32/eSCalade
Regular User

personally, since tt will most likely use this camera to take pictures of cars, i'd highly recommend the new 24-105 f/4 IS L...you got a lil bit of wide at the bottom end and wen you can't get close to a car you still got 105mm with a factor of 1.6 on top...although its quite expensive so the next alternative would probably be the 28-135 IS...its a non L series lens so this lens only cost around 650 CDN, so its not that big of an investment...
MercedeSC32/eSCalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #25
TT
Regular User

Yes stmoritzer, I will do it for sure sadly not today since I am here with all the material but still waiting for the batteries to charge

And thanks for the suggestions on L lenses guys, I will wait for sure 2006 before considering one
Old 11-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #26
sentra_dude

Congrats TT! I always thought you already had an SLR, silly me.

I can't wait to see the comparison shots between your old and new cameras...as I am thinking about picking up an SLR...eventually.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #27
Jabba
Regular User

OMFG nearly £1,000...take care you dont drop that beauty TT.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #28
Fleischmann
Regular User

Congrats dude, a perfect 8mipxel SLR. I don't think I have to encourage you to put it into good use Can't wait to see comparison shots between the 350 and you previous cam. But be carefull, it cost an awful lot of money
Old 11-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #29
TT
Regular User

Ok, did some nighttime testing and I am back with some impressions.

Sadly it wasn't a very wise idea LOL. I was tired, had to piss and it's cold..
So, I picked up a parking lot and shoot a test picture with the Pro 1. That's ISO 50, exposure time 15 sec and F was at 3.2

I then started to test the 350D with its standard 18-55 lense. and after 2 sec I was pissed off already. With the pro 1 I always use the viewfinder, but not when using a tripod, where the rotating LCD is sooooooo practical. I was already suffering from some pain in my back, so it was really sucky to shoot pics.
Also, another negative point is the viewfinder itself. I wear glases and with them I can't see the whole picture when looking through it. I can with the Pro 1. It's a minor problem but have to get used to it.
And finally, I think those low to medium grade lenses are not up to the task of shooting at night. It wasn't easy to focus and actually most pics are un-postable since too blurry.
Last negative point, the aspect ratio of the pics... instead of 1600x1200 you get 1600x1067 and 1024x768 is 1024x683.. WTF! Luckily I always crop my pics, and with 8 MP it's easy to still obtain the proper 4/3 ratio I still prefer

Details actually.
So, the pictures at ISO 100 were blurry, but I could save this one, ISO 400, 5 sec exposure and F7.1

Well, the Pro 1's still looks better, especially colorwise, but I didn't play with the white balance (in any of them), and every camera is different.

For these pics I was at about 15 meters from the car. The Pro 1 was basically shooting at its max focal lenght (the max at which it can still focus since lately at full lenght it can't anymore), and same goes for the 55mm
I then switched to the 90-300mm and took a pic from the same position, at 90mm, so the "wider" field possible. Got this

LOL!
At 300 I was able to have the wheel filling the picture completely.
I walked backwards untill I was around 50 meters from the car and still impossible to have it completely inside the picture at 300mm. Couldn't try to walk some more since there was a wall LOL. Basically impossible to use the 300mm in town I guess, but it will be precious at events or on track. Even without a stabilizer IMO.

So, first impressions are not as good as you might expect, but well, considering the situation, I was expecting it to be like that. Wanted to wait for tomorrow to come and test in daylight first but impossible to resist.

Anyway, definitely, to shoot at night the Pro 1 is much more practical with it's rotating LCD. Period.

Can't wait to test it tomorrow with daylight because I am sure it will be a blast!

On the positive side, since the 350D uses the same mem cards as the Pro 1, I am not forced to install new software but I just use the Pro 1 to transfer the pics
Old 11-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #30
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Don't forget that dSLR-pictures need more postprocessing on the pc at home. Compact-pictures are more saturated and sharped as the average consumer doesn't want to fiddle with them afterwards.