Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
Cigarette1
Regular User

Default What filter should I buy ?

Remember my Nring pictures from 2 months ago

We're planning on going back there a couple of times this summer and we'll also be attending many trackdays @ Spa. And since I haven't saved up enough to buy a DSLRkit, I'll "invest" a bit in my Sony DSC-P92

What should I get to not have as crappy pics as last time ?

- SONY VF-30NK neutral density filter

# Neutral Density Filter reduces brightness and minimizes over exposure in bright sunlight

# Clear Multi Coat Filter protects the lens from dust and scratches

or

- SONY VF-30CPKS polarizing filter

# Polarizing filter suppresses unwanted reflections off glass and water
# Hard carrying case for protection
# Multi-coated filter protects lens from dust and streaks
# Fits 30mm lens diameter

Or do I need both ?

Thanks
Cigarette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

Circular polarizer for sure. Be sure you can fit one on your camera, then just pick the correct diameter and you are set.

before going to the track, practice at home to see how the effect changes while rotating it

BTW, it's very hard to completely remove glares from a moving car: if parked, you can slowly rotate your filter untill you find the correct position. But when it moves, the angle with wich the light hits the surface constantly change, and the perfect result would be tricky. Still worth the money hands down!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:58 AM   #3
saadie
Regular User

get the polorizing filter 8)
Old 06-22-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

BTW, because of us, JW will soon be the top result if you will google for "polarizer filter"
Old 06-22-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
dingo
Regular User

Haha....we haven't made the top 10 yet so still some work to do.

I have ordered my adaptor so I should have it all ready to go by Friday - can't wait.

BTW, if you don't have time to adjust the filter (say for a moving car you just saw) will it create bad (negative) results if in the wrong position?

Just in case this helps with Google:

polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter polarizer filter.....
Old 06-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
TT
Regular User

Dude, I thought your camera can't have filters installed. Did I just misunderstand or forgot? great news anyway!

And well, if the filter is not perfectly placed, maybe it will just reduce the glare but not at best. The actually if it's really placed in the perfectly bad position, it can actually make it even worst, but you must really have bad luck.

In most cases if you keep it in the "top" position you can't go totally wrong
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Cigarette1
Regular User

Thanks for the replies,

Where should I order them (the filter and adaptor) ? Would I be able to get them from the US without paying extra taxes ?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Dude, I thought your camera can't have filters installed. Did I just misunderstand or forgot? great news anyway!
I bought a new camera ( http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp ) last weekend, which I mentioned in the last topic I posted in the WYST section (the motorkhana pics).

So this new one can fit filters once I get the adaptor (72mm) - though thats not the only reason I got it. Its still not a digital SLR but at the moment I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money so this one should do me for awhile.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
TT
Regular User

Good, I missed that post actually! It should be a nice camera to use!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #10
Darkel
Regular User

Cigarette1 >> you'd better try to find some Hoya filters or so, I'm almost sure they'll be less expensive than Sony's
For example I paid 50€ for mine (too expensive IMO but I needed one as soon as possible) while the same one (+neutral filter) costs 155€ by sony :shock:

Concerning the adapter, I was forced to order it on the web (sony once again) and I remember the one for the P92 is also very hard to find in regular shops

Dingo >> your's will be huge, mine is only 58mm but I already find it too big for my camera
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 AM   #11
Cigarette1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Darkel

Concerning the adapter, I was forced to order it on the web (sony once again) and I remember the one for the P92 is also very hard to find in regular shops
Yea, I just found out, think I'll order the adaptor soon as possible on e german site where they stille some a couple in stock.

Will those Hayo filters fit the sony adaptor ? Sony polarizing filters are +-65EUR overhere and only 45-55USD in US
Old 06-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #12
Darkel
Regular User

Originally Posted by Cigarette1
Will those Hayo filters fit the sony adaptor ? Sony polarizing filters are +-65EUR overhere and only 45-55USD in US
Sure, it's probably the same thing (haven't tested yet though, adapter will come in a few days), I know some people who have put Hoya filters on sony digicams and it works fine
Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #13
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Darkel

Dingo >> your's will be huge, mine is only 58mm but I already find it too big for my camera
How do you mean? Its made to fit the camera so it shouldn't be too big as far as I can see, or do you just mean that its a bit big to carry around when not on the camera?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
Darkel
Regular User

I mean, with the adapter it will look like that :
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/im...mg-camera2.jpg
(okay, it's a G3 with wide angle, but it won't be that different, even mine)

Of course it's made to fit the cam, but IMO it looks weird That's absolutely not a criticism, just a notice
Old 06-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #15
dingo
Regular User

damn that looks ridiculous , I know what you mean now.

TT, does yours look like that?