Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

View Poll Results: Which Digital SLR do you use?
Nikon D series 10 40.00%
Canon EOS series 11 44.00%
Minolta DSLR 1 4.00%
other 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2006, 03:56 AM   #16
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
it is my asumption that Leica still make the best lenses money can buy; and great cameras too
People are even using them on their Canon EOS 5D or 1Ds MkII with adapters to get the best out of it.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
it is my asumption that Leica still make the best lenses money can buy; and great cameras too
People are even using them on their Canon EOS 5D or 1Ds MkII with adapters to get the best out of it.
out of curiousity; that would effectively change the focal length; and possibly make the image less crisp, and also render things like IS and autofocus useless?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
Mr.Vercetti
Regular User

D50 for me. My first SLR.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 AM   #19
frodefe
Regular User

350D w/28-200
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #20
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

out of curiousity; that would effectively change the focal length; and possibly make the image less crisp, and also render things like IS and autofocus useless?
No such thing a IS or AF on a Leica. The focal lenght remains the same (35mm Leica film = 35mm Canon sensor) and the image quality is supposed to be sharper as say a EF 135 f/2.....

There's a lot of info (and profession users) over at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/
Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
MIHALS
Regular User

edit: Looks like I'm the only one, who uses Minolta :bah:

this is my toy
Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
SDK2003
Regular User

Originally Posted by MIHALS
edit: Looks like I'm the only one, who uses Minolta :bah:
You mean Sony

|| Canon 20D x2 | 17-40L | 24-70L | 100 USM Macro | 100-400L IS | 580EX ||
SDK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #23
c0wb0y007
Regular User

A Nikon D70 with the firmware of the D70s.

There is a big photo-exhibition (hardware) in Germany (Dusseldorf or Dordmund) each year. Nikon is going to present their new D3-series there this year gimme gimme gimme.

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/
c0wb0y007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

No such thing a IS or AF on a Leica. The focal lenght remains the same (35mm Leica film = 35mm Canon sensor) and the image quality is supposed to be sharper as say a EF 135 f/2.....

There's a lot of info (and profession users) over at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/
after posting that, i went out and searched the web about it... some interesting lenses. the M7 really does look 50 years old... but for most natural light instances, seems to work amazingly.

i've been told that film lenses actually have a built in light-distortion to match the slightly 'warped' film in such a camera; where digital doesnt since the CCD is flat for all intents and pourposes... any idea if that is true?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #25
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

after posting that, i went out and searched the web about it... some interesting lenses. the M7 really does look 50 years old... but for most natural light instances, seems to work amazingly.

i've been told that film lenses actually have a built in light-distortion to match the slightly 'warped' film in such a camera; where digital doesnt since the CCD is flat for all intents and pourposes... any idea if that is true?
Nah, the only real difference is coating on the rear element. That's for example why Canon updated the 85 f/1.2 L (and slightly faster focus) and Sigma updated all their lenses to DG. The light can bounce up and down between the glass in front of the sensor and the rear element of the lens, thus producing flare/ghosting/other unwanted results. But I've yet to see a test where someone can show the difference between a lens with and without a special coated rear element.

But old film lenses on a CCD/CMOS are no problem.