Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 07-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #31
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Does anyone on this forum use the D50, or has experience with it?
I do, and several other guys on JW have one (dutchmasterflex, sameerrao, ae86_16v, probably others I'm not thinking of...). Its a great camera, and if you want an SLR, but don't want to spend a huge amount of cash, its a good buy. I personally have never used a D70/D70s, but if you are concerned about picture quality, I'm 90% they use the same image sensor (with maybe a few differences?) so there really isn't much difference, except that from the D70s's nicer lens. I've also looked at pics side-by-side of D70s vs D50 (with same lens), and I can't tell any difference (but I'm no expert). Its mainly that the D70s has more features, and comes standard with a very nice lens...but the D50 still comes with lots of good features.

The Canon 350D is obviously a great, great camera too, but for me, 6.0 MP is plenty. When you are shopping for a camera you think its a huge difference...and you want that "8.0MP", but when it comes down to actually shooting pics, its not such a big deal...I'm sure others would agree. Don't get me wrong, its certainly nice, but if you are just starting out, its not super neccessary.

I'm obviously going to recommend my camera , but I really do think its a great SLR to start with. Another nice thing of the D50, is it has a nice 'feel' to it, and it just felt better in my hands than the Canon. That is a very personal preference though, and you should spend time in the store holding and 'shooting' whatever cameras you plan to buy.

Good luck deciding, you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon, and hopefully we'll be seeing some SLR pics from you soon! 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:54 AM   #32
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
Originally Posted by RC45
Yep - pretty much what I was thinking.

I like reading this guys honest answers http://www.kenrockwell.com/ makes a lot of sense, and even has some counterpoints that may help quash heresay and rumour..
Lesson #1: never believe Ken Rockwell, he's totally biased and considered a clown by a lot of people.
Lesson #2: The fact that he pisses off so many wannabes and poseurs is why what he has to say is so great

The fact that an open view such as Ken's makes people think he is a clown, is hwy he is so great.

Far from being biased - he is stating folks should not be biased.

BUt then again if you are a Measurbator of course you need to join the ranks of the Ken Haters
But it is to the point of blindingly bias. I am a huge Nikon fan and hope they will continue making great products, but I will not be on Nikon's nuts if they make a bad lens or camera.

To him, everything Nikon makes is god send.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #33
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
The Canon 350D is obviously a great, great camera too, but for me, 6.0 MP is plenty. When you are shopping for a camera you think its a huge difference...and you want that "8.0MP", but when it comes down to actually shooting pics, its not such a big deal...I'm sure others would agree. Don't get me wrong, its certainly nice, but if you are just starting out, its not super neccessary.
Yup, I agree. IMHO the larger body of the D50 makes a bigger difference than the 2MP makes.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #34
TopGearNL
Regular User

ok guys, Thanks again for all your great and many text containing replies WOW!!!

Ive read many reviews on the net and offcourse everyone thinks the world of his own camera and the camara is personal to everyone offcourse!

But reading the many reviews and all of your comments I am thinking about taking the Nikon D50.

Now its just a question of finding the right lenses for it (for what I want to do with it) and find a nice deal!

Could any of you maybe help me with that also, please ??
Old 07-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #35
ae86_16v
Regular User

ok guys, Thanks again for all your great and many text containing replies WOW!!!

Ive read many reviews on the net and offcourse everyone thinks the world of his own camera and the camara is personal to everyone offcourse!

But reading the many reviews and all of your comments I am thinking about taking the Nikon D50.

Now its just a question of finding the right lenses for it (for what I want to do with it) and find a nice deal!

Could any of you maybe help me with that also, please ??
See if you could get a Body only, then find the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5. That lens should be around $200 US or so.

You could also add the 70-300mm G f/4-5.6 lens for around $100 - $150 US and that will give you the reach for cheap. At that price you can't really go wrong.

If you want an all in one answer, get the 18-200mm VR II f/3.5-5.6 for around $700.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #36
TopGearNL
Regular User

I am going to a prof shop this tuesday, are there also good online shops where I could have a look at all those /\/\ lenses etc in the meanwhile.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #37
ae86_16v
Regular User

Even though I don't really like Ken Rockwell, he does have a comprehensive list:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1870.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm
Old 07-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #38
TopGearNL
Regular User

Ill have a look at that, thanks

Ok I read it and wondered what lenses you guys use to shoot cars, I mean most preferrable?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #39
TopGearNL
Regular User

How good is the lens that comes with the kit, I heared that the one that comes with the Canon kit is crap in comparision with the one that comes with the Nikon.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #40
sameerrao
Regular User

Ill have a look at that, thanks

Ok I read it and wondered what lenses you guys use to shoot cars, I mean most preferrable?
I will use the 18-70DX for the interior and close-up shots and the 70-200 VR for action/motion shots and also exterior photoshoots.

What do you buy?
If your budget is tight - The 18-70 is perhaps the best starter lens. Buy it and then perhaps add another lens later if it is needed.

If you have more cash rolling in the ol piggy bank, go for the 18-200 VR for more versatility with the mega zoom range and stability with the VR.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #41
TopGearNL
Regular User

Is it worth going for the kitlens, the 18-55? I want to photograph just cars and if possible make panning shots. Or is it better to buy just the body and the 18-70 lens seperate?

My budget is a bit tight yes, don't want to spend more then 1000 Euro's if possible !
Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
But it is to the point of blindingly bias. I am a huge Nikon fan and hope they will continue making great products, but I will not be on Nikon's nuts if they make a bad lens or camera.

To him, everything Nikon makes is god send.
See - this is the type of nonsense I read all over the Interweb.

The Guy uses Nikon and prefers it - that makes him blindly biased?

No - OTHER people just don't like the fact he calls people with more money than talent uselss hacks.

That is why people don't like him - because he says a guy on abudget with a crappy camera and talent is BETTER than some rich arsehole with $50,000 of cameras for a hobby.

The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

This thread is a PERFECT example of what he is tlking about.

Here is a guy on a tight budget who wants to talke decent pictures, and he is MORE worried about "the equipment" than practice, talent and ability.

FFS man, just buy a camera that fis your budget and and leaves some money spare, then get out there and take lots of pictures - experiment and practice.

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome.

You [TopgeraNL] may as well buy a decent condition used body from a local camera store and then get a decent lense for your money spent.

It's after all still going to come down to the light, subject matter, ability to interpret the controls on the camera, a stead hand (or tripod) and a good eye to take a great picture.

This argument is the same as the "ferrai vs Mazda Miata" one.

There are Ferrari owners who think everything else is shit, yet they couldn't lap a race track in their F-Car to save their lives, and then their are folsk in a Mazda Miata who would lap a guy in a 360CS..

Every now and again, however, you get a Ferrari owner who enjoys learning the lines in a Mazda Miata - and understands what it takes to be good... Ken Rockwell is such a man in photography terms.

Don't hate him because he makes sense..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #43
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

I am going to a prof shop this tuesday, are there also good online shops where I could have a look at all those /\/\ lenses etc in the meanwhile.
Foto Konijnenberg, http://www.koopdigitaal.nl

A lot of your questions are answered already on the Dutch GoT (Gathering Of Tweakers). http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_topics/71
Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
TopGearNL
Regular User

Thanks RC, I respect your opninion!

And thanks also to Martijn, I already looked at the forums etc but am just trying to get some facts straight. Main question is is it better (for cars and panning shots) to buy the kitlens or am I better of buying the body and the 18-70 lens seperate? Im sorry to ask again its just that on the forums nothing is said about photographing cars

Thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #45
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Well, you can do carshots with any lens, but the 18-70 is just a better lens than the 18-55.