Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-02-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Moumou
Regular User

Default Are we going to lose good-looking cars???

I just read in the recent issue of CAR magazine that there are lobbying efforts in Europe to ban low, swoopy (and therefore sexy) designs for more upright and 'safer' ones. What the hell is that all about?! I mean alright I understand it's for the safety of pedestrians when it comes to accidents/collisions, but the article suggests that in 10 years time all production cars will have to have more Civic shaped styling (apparently that car was a success in terms testing), while current cars will be progressively phased out... :shock: :x

I'm a huge fan of automotive design, to the point where I was going to study it. I find cars are Art on Wheels. They not only move us from place to place, they also move us within. I love the sturdiness of the Benz or Bimmer, the sexiness of a Ferrari or Maserati, and elegance of a Lexus or Audi...

These friekin lobbying groups are pissing me off...alright you wanna save the lives of pedestrians, do so (and I will be fully supportive), but why kill an Art form that touches so many people around the world? Let's face it, everybody likes to see a good-looking car. Everybody: Like that Nissan commercial where young and old, car fan or not, people just stare at the sexy shape of the 350Z.

People in Europe, take up arms if these groups become too powerful - ok now I'm getting carried away!

Any input?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
hemi_fan
Regular User

Ah, thats one of those lobbys that will never pass. Auto makers and car enthusiasts are just too powerful and if they did this im sure there would be huge protests and many people would just ignore it. I mean... do you actually think Ferrari would turn all their cars into civics!?! Reminds me of the lobby a few years ago that was going to ban all V8s and make it impossible to liscense anything with a V8 in it. Its impossible to do because theres too many die-hard pple out there with 57 chevs, or even chev. pic-ups that would never let their V8 go.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #3
BADMIHAI
Regular User

MEH! That's just a bunch of hippies. Don't take it to serious. Fuck them! I'll run them over with a Hummer if I have to
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
jon_s
Regular User

The law is not so much banning the 'form' however, it is stating a required distance between the top of the engine and the bonnet, so that when a person hits it, they have a 'crumple' zone!

Therefore, cars that are mid engined or rear engined will not be effected, saving some cars. However, Aston Martin are going to have some problems.

I have not read the new Law yet. So what I have said is only what I have heard. If you like, I can go have a proper look and say exactly what will be going on. I go back to work on the 5th, so I can do it then.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
TT
Regular User

Not really a lobby IMO.. if the new test will impose different shapes to be passed, our cars will change, as sad as it can sound, and if Ferrari will want to produce more than 50 cars/year, they'll have to follow the rules too...

Lobbys different than national or international laws...
Old 01-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
jon_s
Regular User

Is it even Law yet??! lol
Old 01-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
TT
Regular User

It will be for sure IMO... test changed with the time passing and they'll keep changing I suppose... the only solution is to see pedestrian disappear
Old 01-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #8
jon_s
Regular User

lol, imagine that! Going from pedestrain zones, to pedetrian FREE zones lol
Old 01-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
he7lius
Regular User

I think that's one of does ideas that will probably never take off. Why? because if a car is very safe bla, bla bla, and is very ugly no one will buy it. So the manufactures won't let that happen. When i look at photos or videos of cars i don't say, "it's looks safe." i say "the shape is great". You have to remember that the guys im brassels don't have nothing to do so they have to find something that will come on the news, and everyone comments about, just to prove that they are worth it. Bring the fashion in to cars and instead of having one you will have two.
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Moumou
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
The law is not so much banning the 'form' however, it is stating a required distance between the top of the engine and the bonnet, so that when a person hits it, they have a 'crumple' zone!

Therefore, cars that are mid engined or rear engined will not be effected, saving some cars. However, Aston Martin are going to have some problems.

I have not read the new Law yet. So what I have said is only what I have heard. If you like, I can go have a proper look and say exactly what will be going on. I go back to work on the 5th, so I can do it then.
That would be cool to know jon_s!

As for the other comments; I sense two very different responses. Those that belive in it actually becoming a law, to others re-assuring me to ignore it!
Old 01-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
TT
Regular User

if a car is very safe bla, bla bla, and is very ugly no one will buy it. So the manufactures won't let that happen. When i look at photos or videos of cars i don't say, "it's looks safe." i say "the shape is great"
Well, if every car around will be "ugly" if we will desire a nice looking car the only solution would be in the second hand market...
Old 01-02-2004, 12:40 PM   #12
pimrusis
Regular User

Europeans are all backwards! The lot of em.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
Moumou
Regular User

Originally Posted by pimrusis
C'mon Pimrusis....don't be making statements like that. That BS comment will only piss people off.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:57 PM   #14
callen
Regular User

fuck the lobby groups. heres my solution. look both ways before u cross the road! and if u have one of those drunk drivers lookin to whack ya on the sidewalk, may god help you..... :shock:
Old 01-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #15
callen
Regular User

Originally Posted by pimrusis
Stop watching CNN. your government and media outlets are the ones who are backwards. unless your native american you more than likely came from europe, making you none other than European my little short fused, pea brained americano.