Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-25-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Default One small little question while upraising the redline

also THANX for helping me in my previous topic

So I need a Chiptuning (ecu) to have higher RPM's and need a camshaft to make it faster at high rpm's.

BUT...

When you did this, when the redling is upraised, is it possible the engine is more weak then at high rpm's ? or is'nt it a good idea to do this that it might destroy the engine ?

thanx for your time.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Wutputt
Regular User

You have to be sure your pistons, connecting rods, and cranckshaft can cope with the higher inertial forces at higher rpm. You also have to be sure the cam springs are designed for the higher revs, but if you're changing the camfast it certainly will also be done. If you are raising the redline just a tiny bit these issues won't be a problem.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:26 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

well, there are several things im familiar with when inducing more power, and higher revs

one cause of engine trouble at high rpm is the rotational mass is harder to spin at higher velocities. so, placing in stronger, lighter wieight matierials...
such as a flywheel, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons.

to atchieve good fuel delivery, you would then need the new cams, costom timing, and stiffer valve springs to avoid valve lift... the mechanical vavles brembo is speaking of, i believe are race style 'numatic valves' but... thats getting into something else entirely.

to be able to suck up gas at those higher revs, and to atchieve higher torque values up there you may need a higher pressure fuel regulaator, and fuel pump, as well as injectors.

at this point, you've completely rebuilt the engine for some amazing performance, and spent quite a bit of money... and would trade off low end torque, and good idle quality would be lost as well. on the other hand, its quite fast, and much more reliable at those high rpms... but id say it would be less reliable then in oem stock form.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
well, there are several things im familiar with when inducing more power, and higher revs

one cause of engine trouble at high rpm is the rotational mass is harder to spin at higher velocities. so, placing in stronger, lighter wieight matierials...
such as a flywheel, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons.

to atchieve good fuel delivery, you would then need the new cams, costom timing, and stiffer valve springs to avoid valve lift... the mechanical vavles brembo is speaking of, i believe are race style 'numatic valves' but... thats getting into something else entirely.

to be able to suck up gas at those higher revs, and to atchieve higher torque values up there you may need a higher pressure fuel regulaator, and fuel pump, as well as injectors.

at this point, you've completely rebuilt the engine for some amazing performance, and spent quite a bit of money... and would trade off low end torque, and good idle quality would be lost as well. on the other hand, its quite fast, and much more reliable at those high rpms... but id say it would be less reliable then in oem stock form.
mmm, that's quite alot to change so better don't do it ? but if I should do it, how much do you think it can cost ?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
@mopdrops a total rebuild of an engine is expensive, I dont know the cost of parts in Belgium so its hard to give you a exact prize of it, but internals,gaskets, bearings, cams, head, machining of engine parts, injectors and so on, you will probably end up close to 10 000 euros, it depends how much you do yourself and if you are going to use forced induction.......wich you of course should......
OH MY FUCKIN' GOD !!! Thats much money for high RPM's. I think I just stick to a big turbo setup thanx for your help all of you, now it's time to safe some money :idea:
Old 10-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
dodgemar
Regular User

To get higher revs will not encrease HP or torque unless you got a better intake, increased the compression ratio, a better ECU program, and of course a general tune up for the engine (specially for mass reduction). A mass reduction of the general components fo the engine (pistons, camshaft, crankshaft, connecting rods, etc.) will provide a faster acceleration of the RPMĀ“s without the need of increasing the redline. Of course another option will be a Turbo or a supercharger. Depends on parts and money!!!!! 0X 8)
dodgemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by Mopsdrops
OH MY FUCKIN' GOD !!! Thats much money for high RPM's. I think I just stick to a big turbo setup thanx for your help all of you, now it's time to safe some money :idea:
A big turbo setup will be more expensive as you will need all the parts I mentioned, and then a turbo charger, intercooler, tubes,external wastegate (if you are going for big boost) and so on......

There are no shortcuts to a really good and reliable engine, the prizes may vary from place to place, but at the end of the day it will make a pretty big hole in your wallet if you want much more power than stock.....
http://www.turbo-kits.com/prelude_turbo_kits.html
This is the site I need, turbo kits for my car
Old 10-30-2004, 12:50 AM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

But Im sure you can safely run some of those kits on your car, if you are aware of it will put more presure on the rest of the components, if you buy a kit like this you should check up the engine very carefully before installing and do a complete service on it bearings and gaskets might be wise to look over/change before instaling, if available get reinforced bearings.....
approx 7psi is quite acceptable on engines runing a compression artio of around 10.5 or less.
on a big v8, id expect a hp gain of around 50-80 ponies... of course, my direct opinion is that all engine tuning needs to be performed on a dyno to correctly determine the dynamics of various settings, and engine managment.