Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Ron Dennis to "retire" from McLaren F1 team

Martin Whitmarsh will take over from Ron Dennis as McLaren’s team principal from March 1, Dennis announced at the MP4-24 launch on Friday.

Dennis will remain as chairman and CEO of the McLaren Group but hand over the day-to-day running of the Formula 1 team, which he has controlled since 1981, to his long-time number two and current team CEO Whitmarsh.

Dennis revealed the management change in answer to the final question of a press conference with journalists at the team’s Woking base, with the 61-year-old insisting it was the "right time" for him to step aside and that it had been “100% my decision”.
He added that he would now concentrate on other projects within the McLaren Group, which he is a 15% shareholder of, but that he wasn’t totally cutting his ties with F1 and would still attend some grands prix in 2009.

Responding to a question about his 2009 plans, Dennis said: “The first thing I’m going to do is work harder.

“I intend to raise my own game because I think everybody in our organisation at every level realises that this is a tough period in which we are going to work.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
yg60m
Regular User

Almost the end of an era. One of the last person with Frank Williams and Patrick Head who made the glorious 80's.
Despite what can be said, I admire him and am sad to see him retire.
Good luck Ron !