Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default 2008 best F1 season?

...according to Planet F1 it is:
Forget all the talk of 1958, of 1976, of 1982 or 2003. Andrew Davies is convinced that 2008 was the most exhilarating F1 season of all time...

1.There were seven different grand prix winners in the season - including debut wins for Robert Kubica, Heikki Kovalainen and Sebastian Vettel. It was almost like 1982 when six different drivers won the first six grands prix (and using Bernie's medal system - Didier Pironi, Rene Arnoux, John Watson and Alain Prost would have all been World Champion that year ahead of Keke Rosberg. They all won twice and Rosberg won once).

2. Nine teams managed to get at least one podium. Even Honda. After the withdrawal of the SuperAguri team the grid was often separated by as little as two seconds, the closest, tightest field F1 has ever seen.

3. The Singapore Grand Prix was F1's first ever night race and the organisers put on a faultless demonstration of how to organise a GP from scratch.

4. As an F1 spectacle, the Belgian GP was one of the most gripping motor races of all time. Everything happened in the closing two laps when it started to rain, including Nick Heidfeld strapping on wet tyres and driving from a position way out of the points to a podium place...on the final lap. Though it turned from spectacle to debacle after Lewis Hamilton's win was taken away, the on-track action was the stuff of F1 history.

5. And if Spa wasn't enough we already had the masterclass of Lewis Hamilton at Silverstone for the British GP. Hamilton won by a minute while playing it safe and not going as fast as he wanted. Off the leash, he could probably have lapped the entire field.

6. There were great comebacks.Renault came back from the dead. Kubica challenged, faded, then challenged again. Kimi Raikkonen looked in the ascendancy at Ferrari after his win in Spain, and after less than convincing performances from Felipe Massa at the British and German GPs, the Brazilian looked on the ropes. And then he bounced back to almost snatch the World Championship. So, a full justification for Ferrari's policy of letting both their drivers compete until late in the season

7. There was a three-way battle for the drivers' title with two races to go. Robert Kubica didn't look like he was going to outpace either Massa or Hamilton in the last races, but he possesses Michael Schumacher's obstinate streak. If the two title contenders clashed - as they had done in Japan - then Kubica would be there waiting.

8. We all got the chance to laugh at Max - or is that Mike - Mosley. The FIA president should have died of shame after his exposure in the News of the World. Max's sado-masochistic frolics were headline news around the world, yet despite many heads of governments and royal families' refusals to be seen with him, Max thought it was all right to continue in his job. After all, he had the backing of some key motor manufacturing countries such as Mozambique and Saint Helena.

9. Lewis Hamilton managed to right the wrongs of 2007 when one of the McLaren drivers should have been World Champion. Fernando Alonso really should have been the World Champion in 2007. The interference of the stewards in an intra-McLaren dispute in Hungary put Fernando too far down the grid at Budapest. Without it he would have claimed a comfortable 2nd place, if not the win. And let's not even go into cool fuel in Brazil 2007...

10. One of the most gripping campaigns ended with an amazingly tense race and the title only being decided two corners before the final chequered flag of the season. The Brazilian GP was an epic. It will be harder to get closer to the wire than that in the next 50 years. A fitting finale to what was the best season of F1 ever.
Does anyone think the same? I've only watched 2 full seasons of F1 (shame on me ) so clearly I'm not qualified to say that it is. I can say at least that this season was better than last year (though I prefer that Raikkonen won).

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
styla21
Regular User

It was an exciting season, definitely. Would have been the best if BMW Sauber had won , but I enjoyed nearly every race. It was extremely close throughout the season, with each race counting, and finished in a wicked climaxing race in Brazil. 2008 was certainly up there for me.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

I started watching F1 from around 1993 or 1994, so not too many seasons, but this one was definitely memorable. I love a close competition and this one was as good as it got. However, 1999 is another contender for best championship ever.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
mts6800
Regular User

...the best season ever.

I have to agree it's the best season ever. I have followed F1 since before you could watch all the races on TV and think for sheer competition this year was the best.

IMO the last 10+ years have seen huge improvements in reliability and has translated into a more competitive season.

One thing he missed was that the driver championship and constructor championship went to different teams. Often the same team garners both but nothing was "sure" during the season.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
silentm
Regular User

this is the first F1 season i followed 100%. so i can't comment on any of that.

the season had some very great races but also some terribly boring races like Valencia i think it was
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
turpija
Regular User

I agree it was an awesome season, infact only boring race was in Valencia
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Juho
Regular User

It was awesome, but Kimi didn't win!!
There have been better ones though...
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Simple1
Regular User

Definitely the best season in a long time, I was like a crack feen waiting for all the races, good thing I was single my ex would probably have broken up with me for the 2008 season, lol.
Simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote