Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #31
Mattk
Regular User

Massa must be feeling hugely disappointed after winning the race so convincingly only to lose out on the world championship by a point. Next year should be a ripper season.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #32
nthfinity
Regular User

Think back...
It's 1997, and the last race of the season. Michael Schumacher is 1 point ahead of Jaques Villeneuve. Jaques is ahead, and Schumi makes a rough move which is ruled as deliberately trying to keep his rival from scoring any points. As a result, the Governing body strips Schumacher of all his WDC points for the year. A harsh Penalty; which some believed was not harsh enough.
http://www.iht.com/articles/1997/11/12/prix.t_0.php

It's 2008, June, in the crisp air of Canada. The rain starts pouring, and the strategies start compiling.
Luis Hamilton's chief rival at this point is Kimi Raikonnen. Safety car goes out, Pit red-light goes on. Kimi ends up in front of Hamilton. Hamilton crashes into Kimi in a speed limited pit! Replays all show Hamilton was at fault. The Media paints the crash as "Unfortunate".... saying "McLaren take penalty on the chin" suggesting that the penalty was not deserved. Looking at the history of such manuvers, Hamilton did not deserve to drive the remainder of the 2008 year. He was definitely NOT the best driver, and MOST definitely not deserving.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-the-chin.html

Oh Well. I may actually watch 1 race in 2009, but I doubt it. 2008's technology, limits, and regulations seems a bit of a swan song for F1

Last edited by nthfinity; 11-03-2008 at 02:04 AM.
nthfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #33
bettlejuice
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
He was definitely NOT the best driver, and MOST definitely not deserving.
you gotta be kidding me .... lewis lost way more than kimi at that point and it was a pitstop incident and it was clearly unintentional ... massa had two unsafe releases and it was punished the same way (ooopss... actually he was not) ..... on schumi incident there was visible intention on taking jacques off track and it was season finale ... if you wanna compare you won't go to Canada but go to Japan instead when Massa hit Hamilton ... pretty much the same situation you brought from the past
bettlejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #34
Mattk
Regular User

The thing with 1997 is that Schumacher ended up wrecking his car and lost everything, while Villeneuve finished in the points (3rd, I believe). In Canada, both drivers ended up with wrecked cars. Schumacher's unsportsmanlike conduct resulted in little disadvantage for Villeneuve.

Most drivers' form directly correlate with confidence. Lose a few, and you start getting a bit nervous. Win a few, and you're on top of the world. Alonso, for instance, was languishing mid-pack until he got a win, then another, and finished on a high.

Now, let's look at the contexts of each of those incidents. Schumacher's hit on Villeneuve was a racing incident. Hamilton's hit on Raikonnen was a pit lane incident. On the race track, people crash all the time. Schumacher was ruled to have done it deliberately. Such malice would obviously cop a massive penalty. Losing everything was his just deserts. In the pit lane, on the other hand, people don't crash all the time. Speeds are low and everything is highly regulated so as to prevent crashes. Like real roads, there are traffic lights, which Hamilton apparently didn't see. He caused an accident and his idiocy cost Raikonnen the race. The question is, was it deliberate? Is it a mere accident if you plough into a stationary car, piloted by a close championship rival? Question marks remain.

Put together, the Hamilton incident echoes the Schumacher incident. His culpability may not be as self-evident, but losing everything compared to a 10-place grid penalty for the next race is worlds apart.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #35
toffytofik
Regular User

LOL!

Classic DC!
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #36
arguapacha
Regular User

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA ... I agree with coulthard!! hahahahahaahahahaha and I am colombian so I know how Montoya is like! hahahahahahahahahahaha

Ohh my... hahhahahahaha.. can't... stop... laughing!!!
arguapacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #37
The Stig
Regular User

From all the reason given to the Ferrari fan today my favorite is the Glock let pass Lewis.

First of all no it is not the case
Second, Guys where were you after Chinese Gp and the amazing move of Massa to overtake Kimi?

With all the help from the Ferrari International Assistance to help Ferrari, all the penalties against Lewis, or Bourdais in Japan, well you should not complain.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
pitfield
Regular User

Watching Lewis celebrate his win brought a tear to my eye, briliant.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #39
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by bettlejuice View Post
you gotta be kidding me .... lewis lost way more than kimi at that point and it was a pitstop incident and it was clearly unintentional ... massa had two unsafe releases and it was punished the same way (ooopss... actually he was not) ..... on schumi incident there was visible intention on taking jacques off track and it was season finale ... if you wanna compare you won't go to Canada but go to Japan instead when Massa hit Hamilton ... pretty much the same situation you brought from the past
IMO, the best driver this year was Alonso; and I don't like the guy. Vettel was second best.

LOL @ calling his hit of Kimi in the PIT LANE unintentional. No spray from the tires to blind, big red light, cars that are stopped at the light. Unintentional? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #40
numbat91
Regular User

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a terrific race in the end.I think that the one who made Lewis Hamilton champion was Barrichello and his Honda(who was in front of them)and then when braking Glocks Toyota came across with him, lost his line and the result is known already.
numbat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #41
numbat91
Regular User

Sorry it was not a Honda it was Nick s Heidfeld Bmw

numbat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #42
turpija
Regular User

IMO, the best driver this year was Alonso; and I don't like the guy. Vettel was second best.
I agree, but I would also put Kubica up there with Alonso and Vettel, Kubica made only one mistake in whole sezone(Silverstone) and next year he is serious candidate for Championship becouse of BMW's early switch on 2009 car
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
The Stig
Regular User

LOL @ calling his hit of Kimi in the PIT LANE unintentional. No spray from the tires to blind, big red light, cars that are stopped at the light. Unintentional? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
So Rosberg hit Lewis also intentionally also?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #44
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
So Rosberg hit Lewis also intentionally also?
Well I think Lewis' hit on Kimi and Rosberg's hit on Lewis were both untentional but demonstrated a loss of attention to the situation. Both definitely deserving of the 10 spot grid penalty for causing an avoidable accident. Make no mistake, they were avoidable. At first Lewis seemed to think it was a harsh penalty but I guess he later read the rule book and found out it's exactly 10 spots. Last year Massa ran the red light and there was nobody there to hit but Massa got a DQ for that. The track at Canada is such that it is very easy to catch a red light when pitting under the SC there. Pity that Canada is gone for 2009.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #45
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

OMG what a race!!! that's why I love F1! I have no nails left on my hands, I was jumping up and down on the last couple of laps, man F1 can be exciting! although I was rooting for Massa to win, he truly deserves it, but to bad, I'll root again for Massa in '09.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote