Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 08-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default Recent Books You Read!

Thought it was a good idea, since this forum isn't getting much use...

Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd
by Nick Mason
- yes the book from the enzo review on top gear... any who a great read for any floyd fan. Nick Mason - prob the only member with the least amount of fans - is a very skilled writer and the book isn't really a "tell all" type of book.

Mussonlini
by R. J. B. Bosworth
Well writen, not the type of bio I like ( I prefer the story type in the next book I list) alot of detail with not very much "inside" info, but for those who want to learn more about the man it is a great read.

Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix
by C.R. Cross
Amazing book with lots of inside info on Jimi's youth and life. Writen as if it could of been a movie script of some sorts, I really keeps you fliping the pages wanting to read more. Most of the info isn't new for huge-big-know it all- Hendrix fans (I like to call myself one), but it does poke light into the fact that Al Hendrix made some small white lies in his autobio. I really recommend this book to any Hendrix or music fan... hell I even told my mom to read it

so guys just post the books that you recently read... and let the topic grow (but it prob won't.... I highly doubt anyone on this forum reads books unless they arn't on the internet, prove me wrong )
Old 08-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

Sure a good idea.. lately I didn't read that much. I attacked the last three tomes of the Dark Tower saga by Stephen King ... I was always in love with it and I am finally at the last book! Addicitng!
It's not your typical Stephen King, not at all, and that's why it's so lovely! So many weird things going on, parellel words, weird carachters that shouldn't be in the same world... absurd yet genial!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Hm you made me wanna go order that Hendrix bio. Hopefully Amazon.com has it. *goes to check

Edit- just ordered the Hendrix book.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Ghostbat
Regular User

Last book I read was "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown. Right now I'm reading his book "Deception Point". IMO "digital Fortress" isn't as good as "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels & Demons". Still very entertaining and so far better than "Deception Point". Well recomended for people that like the spy/action genre.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Hm you made me wanna go order that Hendrix bio. Hopefully Amazon.com has it. *goes to check

I hope you enjoy it as I did 8)

try and listen to Band of Gypsys when reading the books... it gets you into the mood
Old 08-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Darkel
Regular User

I read a lot

Until now I've read almost everything from Tom Clancy (appart from the op center etc which I thing aren't really like the other ones), Clive Cussler (great author, I really like Dirk Pitt's adventures around the world ) and now I've started reading Stephen Coonts' books (currently reading The Minotaur )

Last summer I discovered some interesting Kings novels : The Running man and The Long Walk which are IMO terribly true

The longest book I've ever read was from Philip J. Farmer "To your scattered bodies go" ... just amazing :shock: (6 or 7 volumes)
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

I hope you enjoy it as I did 8)

try and listen to Band of Gypsys when reading the books... it gets you into the mood
Ill put on Band Of Gypsys Live @ Filmore East DVD when I get it
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
Z28
Regular User

I am reading Vengeance (fiction) by Richard Marcinko. If you like reading about special forces or counter terrorism check out Marcinko, he is a former Navy SEAL and creator of the legendary SEAL Team six. A real no bullshit kind of guy; his books are very entertaining. Marcinko also has a few nonfiction books which I would recommend, one about his experience in Vietnam. The only thing I have read by Clancy is part of Rainbow Six...what a shitty book and not worth finishing.
Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I've read "The Grimms' Fairy Tale" recently and "The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities".
Old 08-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #10
bmagni
Regular User

reading "The Fellowship of the Ring"
before that "The hobbit"
both in english of course
and before that I re-read "El coronel no tiene quien le escriba"
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 AM   #11
Banchi105
Regular User

The Haunted by Chuck Palahnuik

http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 AM   #12
styla21
Regular User

The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz.
Read it before, and doing it again. It's a classic for self-development. Love it :fadein:
Old 08-18-2005, 02:42 AM   #13
ae86_16v
Regular User

Moneyball - The Art of Winning an Unfair Game.

By Michael Lewis

About the Economics within baseball.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote