Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Default New Tools (Huge Update June 4th, see page 3)

I've been offline for a few days as my mainboard died. Got another one from a second-hand-site and my pc seems to work ok again.

I wanted a fast wide-angle prime to get some decent detail-shots and complete cars from a short distance with a nice DOF. As we're also getting 2 small kittens this monday, I got an excuse to buy an extra lens.

The 28/1.8 is nice but hard to find used, 50/1.8 is boring IMHO, so I went for a used 35/2. It's a little coffeegrinder (at least if you're used to USM-lenses) but quite fast and sharp wide open. Very little CA for a cheap lens.

Here it is:

But wait a minute, 35x1.6 = 56mm, that ain't no wide-angle. That's right, I also got something new to attach the lens to:

That's right, I bought a 5D. 8) Sold my 30D + batterygrip and my EF-S 10-22. Wanted to sell my 17-40L too at first, but decided to bite the bullet and keep it.

Some shots:

I really like the shallower DOF the fullframe-sensor gives and the huge viewfinder is awesome. Sure, the 30D was quite large already, but this is like the difference between renting a movie at home or going to the cinema. Colours are also very nice, havn't thoroughly tested the AF yet. Images have this 'film-look' over them, they don't look very digital at all, and I really like that. 8)

Havn't shot a lot with it yet (see pc-problems above), but I'm attending a combined car/photo-meet this sunday. Excellent conditions to testdrive the new cam. I also plan to bring my flashstuff and have a go at car-photography with flash.