Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default 2008 Corvette C6 review

Well last weekend I decided to drive over to the largest Corvette dealer in the US and start discussing placing an order. I have yet to actually place the order since I want to return from vacation first. The dealership is kind of cool, holding a 40 car collection of classic muscle cars including the first ever Corvette (the original concept car). Sadly no pictures this time, but I will be making a return trip. In the mean time I got a chance to test drive the 2008 Corvette C6. So I guess that means you get a nice review.

So from the exterior the 08 vette is almost identical to the 07 Vette I drove last year. I still love the styling. The main change is the wheels, they are now a split spoke design. Many people don't like this new look, honestly Im a bit apathetic. I'm more interested in the car itself.

In addition to the wheels there are 2 additional colors added and 2 removed. The dark Blue that I liked so much on the 07 is now replaced with a light blue which honestly looks a bit girly for my tastes. The Dark Red is replaced with a different shade of dark red that I think looks absolutely fantastic. It is a metallic color that changes hues based on the angle and lighting. Then again, these paint shades are all 750 dollar options. Given my performance slanting I'd rather just stick to the performance options.

So what other options are on this car? Well the ones I am considering purchasing myself of course. The first one is the Z51 suspension which includes stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, oil and tranny coolers, and a bigger gear ratio.

The 07 I drove 5 months ago was the base suspension, which was decent. The Z51 however is in another league. Fun as hell to drive around corners, but still not bone jarring.

The dealer had me take an on ramp at significant speed. The first thing he did was grab the "oh shit" bar. I took the curve at a very spirited pace and came up to a split in the on ramp. Of course he waits to tell me at the last minute I need the right fork which leads to a slamming of brakes... Now you can imagine, here I am in the middle of a turn at the top of 3rd gear, well into illegal speed territory, and he asks me to cut right at the last minute. I'm thinking, this can't end well as I slam the brakes. I'm thinking at this point I better just take the left fork as there is no way at this speed I can shave off the power without unsettling the car and ending up on national news for taking a car off the side of an on ramp into oncoming traffic. I can see it now, writing the next review from the emergency room and asking all the American members if they saw the car remanents on the news.

Well needless to say, Im not writing you from the emergency room. Actually I even took that right fork. The car shed just enough speed to trail brake into the split. Simply amazing. In a Nissan 350Z, or even a base C6, you would be reading about me in a thread right about now.

So braking and handling potential are not a problem. In fact, handling feel is also much improved over the 07. I didn't experience it as much with my rather sedate route in the 07, but the 07s are known for not giving enough feedback. Thanks to a revised steering rack this 08 turned in more crisply and communicated quite a bit. Without that bit of communications I probably would still have taken that left split. Instead I looked like a hero, despite the hero really being the car.

So I've avoided discussing the other positive of the 08 till now because to be honest it's just obvious. This car has 30 more BHP then the 07 in standard form. You can feel the difference. It still slams you back into the seat, but it just feels even quicker. Then again I wasn't in the standard car, and that might influence my opinion just a bit.

What you say? Not a standard car? What is there between the coupe and the Z06 that isn't a posers convertible? Well if you recall on the Z06 there is an exhaust which opens up at speed. GM has adapted this same technology to the base. Just like the z06 it opens up above a certain RPM or at WOT. Just like the z06 it also can be left open all the time by pulling a fuse. This little option gives an additional 6 BHP. So now we are talking 36 BHP over the 07. I know you are saying wow.. A whopping 6 BHP... Either you've gone nuts or your an idiot Gray wolf. Well no, I don't think the 6 BHP made the car appreciably faster. But the sound from this exhaust makes you perceive this car is appreciably faster. At idle it sounds relatively sedate, but open it up and the noise Natzi's at your local dmv will be hunting you down for miles. Keep in mind this is from a guy with a Trans Am with essentially no muffler. (You will eventually get a sound clip of that one). So if the exhaust impressed me with its noise (not as loud as the TA but still nice) then you know its good.

Which brings us to the other improvements for the 08. The 08 stick shift is much improved. Still a little notchy, it is nowhere near as bad as it use to be. In fact I'd dare say its close to or at par with the base Porsche stick shift from the other week (high praise indeed).

Then there is the interior. Still no Bentley here, but much improved. There is now a carbon fiber style center console and extra leather. The seats unfortunately are still the interior let down. They don't hold you well and I would suggest replacing them if you buy one.

The dealer showed me one more trick as I drove the car back to the dealership. Placing most cars into fourth in a city is stupid. The dealer insisted I do so with the Vette. I soon came to find out the car will drive in 4th gear down to 12 mph without lugging, and up to 140 mph. All in the same gear. So right, this should be a super easy commuter, especially coupled with the observed 30 mpg. Not that I'll ever see those numbers with my right foot.

So what was my take on the car? I absolutely loved it. Even more so then the 07. Given the difference in price between an 07 and an 08 is probably 2-3 thousand in discount if you go to the right dealers, I suggest if you want a vette you don't even bother with an 07. Get an 08. I will.. Once I get back from traveling.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
gucom
Regular User

i'm beginning to like covettes more and more sounds like a good car, what you're describing... how much would it cost you? (whenever i see the price of any car in the US i'm about to cry, cars here are so much more expensive and norway's even worse ofcourse)
Old 08-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Nice writeup - but the same question keeps coming up year after year - if you are buying a Corvette new, are you going to mod it or not?

If yes, buy used and save the depreciation and markup and spend it on mods - if staying stock buy used and save the depreciation and markup as you will soon be wanting to sell the new car so that when youmod it youdont mod a new car
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
graywolf624
Regular User

how much would it cost you? (whenever i see the price of any car in the US i'm about to cry, cars here are so much more expensive and norway's even worse ofcourse)
Right now with the discounts they are offering, about $44000 USD with the options I want. With no options one dealer is selling at $41000 USD out the door. So basically the same price as your average SUV.

if staying stock buy used and save the depreciation and markup as you will soon be wanting to sell the new car so that when youmod it youdont mod a new car
Lol... I thought about it.. But Im trying to stay out of the mod game for a while. Then again so far I havent driven a 04 z06.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

41-44k is a great price. I actually went to check the MSRP and was shocked to see they wanted 53k for base.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

I actually went to check the MSRP and was shocked to see they wanted 53k for base
Thats the convertible. The base MSRP for the coupe is 45k.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Ah. that makes sense. Still, 44 with Z51 package is a great deal. I had no idea that all the coupes had targa tops. It doesnt even make sense to get a convertible.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
blinkmeat
Regular User

a great performance car unquestionably

to each their own too

but the car does nothing for me - there's no magic to it ... infact i get a little angered seeing them :roll:
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
... infact i get a little angered seeing them :roll:
Well - that happens to all those with HP-envy
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
blinkmeat
Regular User

saw that coming at 190 mph