Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Music And Noise

Music And Noise This is where to discuss you favourite Artists, Bands and own Music

Old 07-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Blue Oyster Cult: Agents of Fortune

Talk about a band that makes no sense? That would be Blue Oyster Cult.

Most songs have lyrics that at least make some kind of sense together, however BOC has a slightly different approach. They let you decide what the song is about.

Yes, this is the band that satarized in the SNL Cowbell skit iwth Christopher Walken playing Bruce Dickinson. And the song they were trying to record was (Don't Fear) The Reaper which is on this album.

If you don't like classic rock, then you probably won't like this band. Back in the days when amplifiers were still tube state and distortion pedals were unheard of on stage. Probably sounds like anyother 70's band really, but their lyrics are really what set them apart from the others.

I think some of the songs may have lost a little character in their transition from vinyl to plastic however. i'm sure this album sounds great through a needle

I don't think i could listen to it more than 3 times in a row though since their riffs tend to easily get stuck in my head. (as of now don't fear the reaper and astronomy are both playing in my head) . But its a great album for just sittin around relaxin 8)

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #2
pharzo
Regular User

Definitely a great band. I got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!

You're right on about tubes in the amps...fortunately some people still keep it alive.

I must confess i know about astronomy first from metallica...but then i 'discovered' boc...definitely a classic band

I'm just like you, i put my pants on one leg at a time...the only difference is, once i got my pants, i make gold records

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by pharzo
Definitely a great band. I got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!

You're right on about tubes in the amps...fortunately some people still keep it alive.

I must confess i know about astronomy first from metallica...but then i 'discovered' boc...definitely a classic band

I'm just like you, i put my pants on one leg at a time...the only difference is, once i got my pants, i make gold records
I had heard of them before, and the Classic Rock station in Seattle would sometimes play "I'm Burning" but until i had heard HIM cover Don't Fear The Reaper and then Metallica cover Astronomy, i had never really paid much attention to them. What a fool i was huh? :bah:

Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
TransAm
Regular User

On the subject of obscure lyrics you might want to look into the songs of a group called 'Half Man Half Biscuit' (I think they are from the UK)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3064934

"Have you ever wondered how you get triangles from a cow?
You need butter, milk and cheese,
and an equilateral chainsaw."

from '99% of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd'

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
On the subject of obscure lyrics you might want to look into the songs of a group called 'Half Man Half Biscuit' (I think they are from the UK)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3064934

"Have you ever wondered how you get triangles from a cow?
You need butter, milk and cheese,
and an equilateral chainsaw."

from '99% of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd'
::scratches head:: wow, you weren't kidding. those lyrics are obscure

Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
Toronto
Regular User

this isn't there best album, secret treaties is their best IMO with agents of fortune a close 2nd

don't know why Christopher Walken was playing Bruce Dickinson (solo singer, and was/no after a 10 year leav lead singer of Iron Maiden)
and distortion pedals where used by plenty of bands in 60's and 70's, cream, hendrix, zeppelin, sabbath, rush, skynyrd, and the list goes on.
just cause it isn't the level or distortion isn't as high and they didn't drive em like a gas pedal, they where still used by the masses

there is a huge history of it, starting with a british navey underwater worker named Roger Mayer but that story is all a purple haze and will take me a good hour to write about, maybe I should make a post about the history of modern rock, unlike how the masses think eddie kramer isn't the godfather of sound, nor is sabbath the first metal band
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
this isn't there best album, secret treaties is their best IMO with agents of fortune a close 2nd

don't know why Christopher Walken was playing Bruce Dickinson (solo singer, and was/no after a 10 year leav lead singer of Iron Maiden)
and distortion pedals where used by plenty of bands in 60's and 70's, cream, hendrix, zeppelin, sabbath, rush, skynyrd, and the list goes on.
just cause it isn't the level or distortion isn't as high and they didn't drive em like a gas pedal, they where still used by the masses

there is a huge history of it, starting with a british navey underwater worker named Roger Mayer but that story is all a purple haze and will take me a good hour to write about, maybe I should make a post about the history of modern rock, unlike how the masses think eddie kramer isn't the godfather of sound, nor is sabbath the first metal band
this is the only album i have from them but secret treaties is next on the list (i was holding them both trying to decide which one to get).

with the distortion pedal thing, i just meant that it wasn't a main element in band's tool boxes as it is today. then it seemed to be more of a fuzz box than anything. Their distortion in those days was all by their amp settings for the most part since tubes don't really do much to produce a clean signal the way solid state does

and het, i don't question the snl skits, i just laugh at them

Old 09-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Skaala
Regular User

BÖC is defently one of the greatest '70s band. My persoal favourite is Spectres from '77