Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #31
ARMAN
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
The bimmer has Koni suspensions, although they really show its age. Plus the car is running on 14in wheels... with really "tall" tyres, making the car feel somehow like a boat With 15in wheels, better (harder) tyres, and upgraded suspensions - not to mention the mandatory LSD - this car should be entertaining!
Floating fealing of the front in higher speeds apparently means dead or almost dead shocks as I was told, there are some tests they do at the service stations for shocks.

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 AM   #32
Igorionia
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Talking about sounds - today my brother has picked up his 325i and I'm just back from a quick spin... and God that car sounds great!! I drove a couple of km - and every time I stopped at a traffic light, I couldn't resist, revving the car up to 5000rpm! we even passed through a tunnel several times just to enjoy the sound at full glory. Can't wait for a proper sport air admission and a free exhaust
Try to Find HARTGE manifold - really helps. Costs about 200Euro in LT (but: Hard to find)

DAMN! one more e30 on JW. WTF is wrong with you people ? :wall: :roflmao: :bday:

Igorionia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #33
thepest
Regular User

Ok here is another option. What about a 323i ? It's still 2.5l engine but with 22 hp less than the 325i - 170.
Any comments on that one? Anyone drove one?

p.s. After just a quick search I noticed than it's kind of harder to find and more expensive than other models, 325i included! How come?

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #34
TopGearNL
Regular User

I know a member here has one, im sure of it...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #35
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by thepest
Ok here is another option. What about a 323i ? It's still 2.5l engine but with 22 hp less than the 325i - 170.
Any comments on that one? Anyone drove one?

p.s. After just a quick search I noticed than it's kind of harder to find and more expensive than other models, 325i included! How come?
A friend of mine recently bought one. The big difference is it has lots more torque than my 320i, so the driveability is better. It's not as fast as 325i or 328i though. Compared to the 325i, the 323i needs less revs to get going, but when you floor both cars, the 325i pulls stronger. The 323i is a more relaxed everyday driver.

It's more expensive because the 325i is older. Remember, the 325i was replaced by the 323i and the 328i from 1995 on. The cars from 1995 on had better build quality and the M52 engine. There are some subtle differences in the bumpers and lights as well, making the revised E36 look a little more modern that the pre 1995 cars. Perhaps that influences value too.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #36
thepest
Regular User

^ Well it obviously do, I can't find one cheaper than 2500k Euro. But you're right about the better quality and newer technologies that makes the 323 more expensive. I'll probably stick to the 325i for the moment. All I need know is the money

Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #37
stradale
Regular User

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #38
thepest
Regular User

Thanks stradale!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #39
ae86_16v
Regular User

I suppose you are looking for a Coupe right? Because I think Stradale got it right, after the 328is came out, the 325is got drop to a 323is to better differentiate the cars.

Which means that the 323is is 95 or newer and 325is was 94 and older.

Remember that the 97+ cars also had a facelift with rounder kidneys, different sidemarkers, and a few suspension improvements. 1996 cars had already upgraded to digital climate controls.

But they also upgrade bits of the car in 95 as well, but I am not too familiar with the upgrades. One of them are definitely painted rocker panels and side-skirts.

By the way, this is only accurate as far as I know to US/NA cars. Not sure about Europe.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #40
thepest
Regular User

^ Thanks for the info.

Yes I know about the upgrades drom '95 onwards, but this, of course, makes a car more expensive. I am looking for a sedan, as well, not only for a coupe. Even if I find a very nice touring I'd take it, too.
Yesterday I found a very well kept (as far as I can tell from pictures and info) 325i sedan with 175+k Km on the clock (aroind 110k miles) but it's like 400 km from me and I'm not going now cause I don't yet have the money. It looked really nice, tough! I could see myself in it !

Old 01-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #41
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by thepest
Yesterday I found a very well kept (as far as I can tell from pictures and info) 325i sedan with 175+k Km on the clock (aroind 110k miles) but it's like 400 km from me and I'm not going now cause I don't yet have the money. It looked really nice, tough! I could see myself in it !
When I was looking for a 325i I certainly learned a lesson: a car might look like it's a well taken after, solid machine in pictures, but you have to see it in the metal. I've had my share of disappointments...

ONLY buy a car when you've seen it in person! Be very critical! Looking at the price, it may not sound like a lot of money going down the drain when you buy a complete lemon, but before you have established it is a lemon and the problems are fixed sufficiently to sell it to the next unlucky owner, you've spent a mutitude of the buying price.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #42
TopGearNL
Regular User

Never judge a car on how it looks, it may well be a ''pub''. If you can always take somebody who knows things about an engine and who can judge that.

Luckily im going to learn everything about engines soon!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #43
thepest
Regular User

I won't buy a car for it's looks. I just want such a car so bad now that I start imagining myself in it right after I see it.

My uncle is a car enthuasist and an engenier and studyed engines with internal combustion. I spent last summer with him so he showed me so tricks when testing second-hand cars. Plus I learned so much about how everything in cars works.
Anyway, thanks for the warning and I'll keep posting if I finally get my hands on some beauty! (BMW I mean)

Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #44
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah you would be surprise how expansive "Perfect" means to some people .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote