Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Pokiou
Regular User

Default EA takes over Rockstar!

OMG i can just see it now... GTA series is going to be stepped on like they did with need for speed

Taken from Game Spot.

Yesterday, Electronic Arts' bid for Take-Two went hostile, as the company took its $2 billion offer directly to Take Two's shareholders. In February, EA had approached Take-Two execs with the deal, which they turned down, citing the primary reason as that they didn't believe the megapublisher was putting enough money on the table.
Now, EA chief executive officer John Riccitiello has confirmed exactly why it is so interested in acquiring Take-Two in the first place. Riccitiello has told the BBC in an interview that he believes that Take-Two has four of the best studios in the video games industry: Rockstar, Irrational, Firaxis, and Visual Concepts. The one which EA describes as its "primary interest" is Rockstar, which counts Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt, Bully, and Midnight Club among its franchises.
Riccitiello praised Rockstar, saying, "I believe the company is fully justified in calling themselves Rockstar because that's what they are in the industry."
He also claimed that the bid wasn't, primarily at least, motivated by a desire to see a competitor in sports games removed from the field. "Sports games are secondary consideration here," he said.
The exec also warned that he believed share prices would plummet should the takeover bid not be successful. "If we don't conclude this transaction, if we walk because of whatever level of inability to get this done, the scary thing is what the stock trades at after we leave, not after April 29," he stated.

Last edited by Pokiou; 03-20-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
silentm
Regular User

this is terrible news... i also fear that GTA will systematically be stomped into a conform game for all ages bullshit
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Its time for someone to go after EA for being an unhealthy monopoly.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Its time for someone to go after EA for being an unhealthy monopoly.
I hear you. This is really bad news.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

EA vs. Activision vs. Sony & Nintendo out on its own.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Minacious
Regular User

This was inevitable, and unfortunately, only the beginning. EA wants anything that is making major moves in the industry to be under their branding.