Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #31
rave426
Regular User

Woohoo! Just orded it off ebay yesterday.

1080p goodness here I come!

RC:

How do you have your G25 setup. I want to get one, but I'm curious about how people placing everything in a sturdy position. Gotta picture of your driving setup?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #32
fabro_s
Regular User

Ok this is my review from the videos RC uploaded:

Visuals: you have to see them to believe them, theres no racing game in this world that matches those visuals, they are superb, they are perfect, they are stunning.. What did you expect from Polyphony and Kazunori??

Sound: The Viper and Vette sound really good, not perfect, but very very similar to the real life ones. The tire sounds are the same from GT1 they are trully annoying and you would expect some good tire sounds, I mean the visuals are what you expected from PS3 and Polyphony, so I dont get why the sounds are not any good. In general they can do much much better in the sound department for GT5, but I bet they wont change them.

A.I.: I can see like a 20% to 30% of A.I. improvement, but it looks like the same chunky stupid A.I. that crashes you if you get on its way, its disappointing comparing it to the A.I. found in Forza 2 for example, you expected again a much much better A.I. responsiveness in this GT but then again, its Prologue, I hope they get it 70% to 80% better in the final game.

In-car view: Looks great, all the small details look superb, the gloves, instrument panels everything looks pretty good, but you dont see a hand movement to the gear shift when you change gears, and I think thats a very important detail I hope PD doesnt forget, lets see if in the final game is fixed.

Details: I loved the way grass and dust fly by when you get off the track it looks excellent much much better than Forza 2, the tires look very very real I liked that, but then again you dont have tire marks or good real life tire smoke, is the same non existent disappearing tire smoke from GT1 which I hate. The main menu with the car in a photomode location, the intro before racing with your car on the pits, its superb, it makes the game feel real, it makes the game experience turn from good and fun to real and interesting. Replays then again, you have to see them to believe them, you have Top Gear camera views in those replays, they are stunning.

In general, theres much that PD and Kazunori have to work to get fixed, this demo can give you an intro of what you can expect from PD in GT5.

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fabro_s View Post
In-car view: Looks great, all the small details look superb, the gloves, instrument panels everything looks pretty good, but you dont see a hand movement to the gear shift when you change gears, and I think thats a very important detail I hope PD doesnt forget, lets see if in the final game is fixed.
Yeah - that is a detail that has been modelled in real time, but not in the replays.

So while you are driving with in car view on, you see the driver shift - in fact, if you hold the revs to top of the RPM range, he even takes his hand off the wheel, and puts it on the shifter in anticipaiton of the upcoming shift... the same way I do in when I drive so as to be sure not to mess up/rush the red line shift hehe.

But in the replay - he leaves his hands on the wheel.

Strange.

And just in case anyone missed the technical update a few pages back - hte G25 clutch is supported 100% - with the clutch mode on, you cannot shft without using the clutch

I think the AI in GT3/4 was so bad, that this improved AI is 100% better - but it is not 100% complete, I will agree with the "30% complete" assesment... but they do try and most of the time won't ram you.

And if you ram them, you get a time penalty where you become a ghost and your throttle does not work.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #34
fabro_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Yeah - that is a detail that has been modelled in real time, but not in the replays.

So while you are driving with in car view on, you see the driver shift - in fact, if you hold the revs to top of the RPM range, he even takes his hand off the wheel, and puts it on the shifter in anticipaiton of the upcoming shift... the same way I do in when I drive so as to be sure not to mess up/rush the red line shift hehe.

But in the replay - he leaves his hands on the wheel.

Strange.
Now thats very very strange, how does it look when you see it RC, does it look real, or does it look like PGR3 or PGR4 where the guy just move the hand to nothing and not even at the same time you are changing gears, how does the man behind the wheel in GT5 responds when you change gears???

Old 12-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #35
5vz-fe
Regular User

A very important question, can GT5P do a proper donut?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #36
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fabro_s View Post
Now thats very very strange, how does it look when you see it RC, does it look real, or does it look like PGR3 or PGR4 where the guy just move the hand to nothing and not even at the same time you are changing gears, how does the man behind the wheel in GT5 responds when you change gears???
The animation of the drivers hands does look pretty real and seemed to be well timed from what I recall - I will make some real-time captures as soon as my 1080p HDMI capture card arrives.

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
A very important question, can GT5P do a proper donut?
Yes... I do seem to recall doing donuts... I'll check when I get home later this evening.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #37
blinkmeat
Regular User

looks pretty good - a real sim should have rudimentary damage and better music imo ... but what do i know, i just decide with my wallet
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat View Post
looks pretty good - a real sim should have rudimentary damage and better music imo ... but what do i know, i just decide with my wallet
Well, having now lived through Forza2's "rudimentary" damage, it may as well not be there and just give you a time penalty, because the real damage - mainly to the engine - complete failure, never happens so its really just eye candy - and any "real" driver would be trying their best to avoid damage

You don't like soothing relaxing fake elevator jazz? Music while driving on track is for the birds anyway

If only the morons who created Forza could have at least played ONE game of GT3/GT4 to see what a great steering wheel does to enhance the experience, and see that great replay cameras helps with the replay value - especially since they let youcustomize your ride so much.

If Forza had G25 support and GT style replays, then no amoutn of eye candy from GT5/GT6 or even GT7 could take away from Forza2 being one of the best driving games ever created... but they didn't so in the final analysis FM2 is really just a cool game to kick back on the sofa with a drive by controller between real world gigs - when it could have been the hardcore driving experience that GT5 will hopefully be.

In GT5 the tyre sounds should either go or be tunable by volume... I can live with bad AI as I enjoy hotlapping - but the tyre sounds are the major flaw for me at the moment - everything else has improved from GT3/GT4 and the GT5 Demo.. except the tyre sounds.

Can you imagine what the final polished graphics and movement modelling of the cars on track is going to look like ? -- only to be offset by the sound of a large bag of salt being dragged around the Walmart parking lot by a bicycle everytime a tyre slips.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #39
blinkmeat
Regular User

Ya - Damage should be more simulated to real-life within reason ... or it should be an option so that piling into a corner at 150mph becomes less of a strategy and more of a lesson .

Nope can't say I'm a fan of the music - But I agree who needs it in the gameplay .. but just damn! clearly not in the budget there

As for Forza - Send an email ... and do they publicly traded? lol
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #40
fabro_s
Regular User

Can you imagine what the final polished graphics and movement modelling of the cars on track is going to look like ? -- only to be offset by the sound of a large bag of salt being dragged around the Walmart parking lot by a bicycle everytime a tyre slips.

Whats been PD promising for the final game RC? I heard that they are including Top Gear track, even theres a rumor that they are including my local Fundidora Park Circuit, the first mexican circuit to be featured in a GT game, how about amount of cars etc?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #41
acmarttin
Regular User

Well, having now lived through Forza2's "rudimentary" damage, it may as well not be there and just give you a time penalty, because the real damage - mainly to the engine - complete failure, never happens so its really just eye candy - and any "real" driver would be trying their best to avoid damage
+ Online racing will be much, much better without damage because it eliminates the satisfaction immature gamers feel when they take someone out of a race. That was something I HATED about FM2. It was so hard to find serious racers online. And even if you found 7 serious racers, the chances were still high to have that 8th asshole in your room...

grrr....
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #42
rave426
Regular User

GT5 Online may just be the new crack. I think it is going to exceed everyones expectations.

I cant wait.

Yay! GT5P should be here in a few days!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #43
RC45
Regular User

Well, if we are to assume there is a little reality in the way the cars feel in GT5, then the C6 Z06 is awesome, the '05 Mitsu Evo is well behaved but a slow with only 280ps, the Mustang GT has a gloriuos sound track but moves like a lead balloon in a straight line - and the new Nissan GT-R is like Jesus come back to earth...
Old 12-24-2007, 02:38 AM   #44
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Having a quality surround sound setup definitely helps.. I'm sure the engine noise has been improved in GT5, sad to hear about the tire screeching though.

GT4 even sounded pretty good when connected to my roommate's aluminum cone audiophile setup(minus the crap engine recordings). Best part were the rumble strips, seriously sound and felt like you were driving over them.

Not going to run out to pick up a PS3 anytime soon.. but by the time the full version of GT5 is out and the new Grand Theft Auto, the PS3 will definitely go though at least one price drop.

I also doubt they will implement damage with the full game... especially if they want to release it within the next 5 years.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #45
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex View Post
I also doubt they will implement damage with the full game... especially if they want to release it within the next 5 years.

+1 I saw something on TV where the creator was saying that in order to create damage in the game, they would have to create 2 models of every car. So see the game in 5 years with damage...

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote