Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default GT 5 Prologue is here!

Today Mr UPS delivered my very own shiny copy of GT 5 Prologue Japanese Edition.

Sccchuweeet!

It is busy installing as you read this - yes, Installing - after you insert the BD and click ok through 3 Japanese screens (the only english letters are HDD) I guess you are being told the game needs HDD space, then it says you have enough HDD space then it tells you its about to use the HDD space.

After the install is done, and after I play around with it for a while, I will report back.

Later
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Excellent! Now you can tell us whether or not we should all go out and buy PS3s!
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
yg60m
Regular User

Nice !! Have fun RC
Old 12-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
acmarttin
Regular User

Daaaaaamn. My inner video game nerd feels trumped.

I already need a PS3. This could make things worse.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Quick Update:

Oh My Gawd!!!!

bbl..
Old 12-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Ok - first impressions?

Japanese is a lot harder to read than one might believe - even with a World War 2 GI phrase book

Visually - this game is stunning.... absobloodylutely stunning.

How good looking? I all they did was redo GT4 to look this good they woul dsell every copy tomorrow - thats without making any other changes to GT4.

This is the new benchmark for HD 1080p driving graphics - bar none. Every other driving game from this day forward will be judge against this standard - it is that good.

Features - who are we kidding here? This is a Prologue to the real game so not all the features are modeled yet - but the essentials are here. The game has a career mode, an "arcade mode" that is not really an "arcade" but merely a way to access and use your car in a time trial or quick 16 car faceoff.

The career mode progresses similar to other generations of GT. Nothing new or unique here, and is actually mildly refreshing - oh, and no license tests in this version.

No photo mode either, but - and this is the MOST important bit that EVERY other console driving game team has fucked up royally - there are stunning and fantastic and aweseom and wonderful and unbelievably great REPLAY CAMERAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can see a review of your race/event in classic GT style - the car modeling is show cased, the stunning tracks are showcased and more importantly, your driving is showcased.

The entire Forza Team sould be FORCED to sit down and actually watch a GT3/GT4/GT5 replay to learn what it is that works FOR THE END USER

G25 is supported 95% - clutch does not work at the moment, but the H-Gate does and 900 degree rotation i supported.

And the crown jewel so far?

GT5 class Interiors. Now you cant glance around like you can in PGR3/4, but they are modelled and fully funtional - complete with gloves drivers hands that leave the wheel to shift as you do.

Sounds: My first objective was to earn enough money to bu a C6 Z06 and take it round the Daytona road course - to see if the GT team had redeemed themslves from their one environmental flaw...

My God did they ever... sound is glorious and accurate... the muffled yet destinctive sound of the stock LS7 is spine chillingly duplicated. No whistling hairdryer sound here.. just a gloriously deep throated V8 snarl - forceful, yet muffled just like the stock car when heard from inside at speed.

Now they would score 100% in sound area, if they didnt have such screechy/scrapy tyre sounds - but I think it may be down to what types of tyre feedback some people like to hear.

I notice different tyres squeal differently on different surfaces - some howl, some scree, some screech and some scuff.

In GT5, they all scree like econo car tyres over concrete in the Walmart parking lot - not a deal breaker for me.

(although I do have a little issue with the lack of front end grip with the stock tyres in the Z06 - but now I am looking for flaws)

AI Drivers: Seems they have spent the last 2 years in driving school, and it has paid off - they are 100% better than the old AI drivers. But dont try brake check them or you will get rammed..

While there is no damage modelled, you do get time penalties if you try use the other cars as bumper stops - no more cheating And if you get off track into the gravel - you are in trouble.

Physics: apperas to be spot on... very predicatable and "life like' and when you review the replays, the car behaves so life-like it is mind boggling.

Summary:
This is going to be another benchmark driving game. It is fantastically engrossing and fun.

I will say it again - if Forza2 had G25 steering wheel, H-Gate support and GT3/4 style replays it would have been the "perfect" driving title - but it doesnt and as such it isn't.

Now, if GT5 final version includes some kind of car painting utility, car modification options and the ability to create custom racelineups and includes the The Nurburgring it will pretty much be "the utlimate driving game"

Now all I have to do is figure how to capture then 1080p replays for you guys to enjoy.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
fabro_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Ok - first impressions?

Sounds: My first objective was to earn enough money to bu a C6 Z06 and take it round the Daytona road course - to see if the GT team had redeemed themslves from their one environmental flaw...

My God did they ever... sound is glorious and accurate... the muffled yet destinctive sound of the stock LS7 is spine chillingly duplicated. No whistling hairdryer sound here.. just a gloriously deep throated V8 snarl - forceful, yet muffled just like the stock car when heard from inside at speed.

Now they would score 100% in sound area, if they didnt have such screechy/scrapy tyre sounds - but I think it may be down to what types of tyre feedback some people like to hear.

I notice different tyres squeal differently on different surfaces - some howl, some scree, some screech and some scuff.

In GT5, they all scree like econo car tyres over concrete in the Walmart parking lot - not a deal breaker for me.

(although I do have a little issue with the lack of front end grip with the stock tyres in the Z06 - but now I am looking for flaws)

AI Drivers: Seems they have spent the last 2 years in driving school, and it has paid off - they are 100% better than the old AI drivers. But dont try brake check them or you will get rammed..

While there is no damage modelled, you do get time penalties if you try use the other cars as bumper stops - no more cheating And if you get off track into the gravel - you are in trouble.

Physics: apperas to be spot on... very predicatable and "life like' and when you review the replays, the car behaves so life-like it is mind boggling.

Summary:
This is going to be another benchmark driving game. It is fantastically engrossing and fun.
RC, I know maybe you are excited with the new game, LOL we all do when getting a new one, but can you PLEASEEEEE SWEAR ON GOD that the sounds on the cars are accurate?? I mean every single car featured in it, including the Ferraris? believe me, I cant believe it, what about AI, is it really 100% better, or a 50% to 60%? I know graphically this game will kick everyones ass, but the rest of the game, is it really that improved???? I cant believe my eyes....

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

RC are usually quite critical on his comments, especially when it comes to driving games. I will take his words.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

And the flat cacophony of the 2002 Viper GTS engine note is also pretty well done - I don't have enough credits to buy one of the Ferraris yet, but I think people in general will be dissapointed with the bland ounds of a modern street V8 Ferrari anyway - I know when I hear them in real life they sound more like racing 4 cylinder sallon cars than V8's

As long as the Vette and Viper have good sounds I am ok with it hehe
Old 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Skaala
Regular User

thanks for the writeup. your enthusiasm made me go on ebay myself
Old 12-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
rave426
Regular User

Did you get the game off ebay........Tell me NOW....I must GET IT!! HELP

And whats with this G25 steering wheel. Is it the best from logitech?? I will have to get it as well....Ima beast with dualshock...LMAO...

PS3 has no regional lockout correct?

HELP
Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Minacious
Regular User

RC, you better be right about the sounds. That has always been a serious flaw of the GT series.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
RC, you better be right about the sounds. That has always been a serious flaw of the GT series.
What you gonna do if I am lieing? Arrest me?

Oh - wwait.. bad example hehe

I am making a Video to let you guys decide for yourselves..

Overall I am very satisfied with my early Christmas present

Is it perfect? No... is it great - YouBetcha..

Am I 100% satisified with the sounds? No.. 90%.. the constant single skree sound of the tyres is no twhat I would like to hear, I woul dprefer a tyre sound that changed with surface, tyre type and driving aggresison, but hey - maybe that will be in GT6 - which I hear will ship in March 2014 hehe
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
5vz-fe
Regular User

A pretty good in car vid I found
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Vansquish
Regular User

Not to steal your thunder RC, but I managed to dig up a video with in-car footage of the F430 for those particularly interested in how the Fezza's sound. I will admit that it sounds miles better than the cars in GT-GT4 did, and even better than the GT5 Prologue Demo, but you can still detect that undercurrent of sort of monotonous droning that was the basic sound of every car in the older titles.

- F430
- Integra Type R (otherwise known as the Acura RSX - S in the states)
- Lotus Elise S1 (not sure if it's the 190 or 111S or not)

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote