Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 06-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #61
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
^Later PS3s won't play PS2 games. The new 40gig one gets no PS2 compatibility whatsoever. The higher spec one gets limited compatibility. I don't know why. Massive backwards thinking by Sony.

I always wanted to get Tourist Trophy as a companion piece for Gran Turismo 4, but I still don't want to pay $20 for it.
Interesting - I wonder why Sony did that? I guess this is one time being an early adopter paid off hehehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #62
silentm
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Interesting - I wonder why Sony did that? I guess this is one time being an early adopter paid off hehehe
if i recall correctly, it's something about the extra technology that is extra expensive, and they let it out so they could reduce the price of the console. but if you ask me that's just a load of BS, i mean i can hardly imagine that it would be overly complicated to include the downwards compatibility.
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #63
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
if i recall correctly, it's something about the extra technology that is extra expensive, and they let it out so they could reduce the price of the console. but if you ask me that's just a load of BS, i mean i can hardly imagine that it would be overly complicated to include the downwards compatibility.
Lets hope they dont disable the hardware PS2 compatibility of the older PS3 systems one day with a download patch.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #64
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
Actually a lot of PS2 and PS games are playable on the PS3, you just have to make sure that you have updated your system to the latest revision... (2.3 or something, can't remember exactly), after I did that, GT4, GT3, GT2, GT all play normally...haven't tried TT yet, but will when I get home today.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #65
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Actually a lot of PS2 and PS games are playable on the PS3, you just have to make sure that you have updated your system to the latest revision... (2.3 or something, can't remember exactly), after I did that, GT4, GT3, GT2, GT all play normally...haven't tried TT yet, but will when I get home today.
http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/429

The new 40gig doesn't get PS2 compatibility at all though. If you bought your PS3 after November last year, you're screwed. Even the 80gig version get limited compatibility. The reason? Sony says the decision is just "reflecting the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles."

I'll just have to keep my PS2 when I get a new PS3.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #66
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/429

The new 40gig doesn't get PS2 compatibility at all though. If you bought your PS3 after November last year, you're screwed. Even the 80gig version get limited compatibility. The reason? Sony says the decision is just "reflecting the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles."

I'll just have to keep my PS2 when I get a new PS3.
I have the 80GB PS3 and bought it after November last year...but yeah...I'm going to hang onto my first gen PS2 for a while...it's been bulletproof...

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #67
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Damn Vanquish thats fucking awesome, my ps2 still is rock solid, although it hasnt seen much play time since the release of GT4 and TT, lol.

And yeah I agree with you guys if they make a new TT or incorporate bikes into the new GT5....or whatever the hell it will be called then I am going to fucking cry tears of joy. I honsetly think I have had more fun with TT than any of the GT games, and I have played all of the GT's from the release of the first on the PS1 to GT4, except for the Tokyo demo edition of GT3...or whatever it was.
I don't know why but for some reason TT is like just something new......something originalish even though I have played quite a few of the Moto GP games fro the xbox, xbox 360 and PS2.

I just hope PD gets their shit straight and add a whole bunch of bikes to the new TT or GT5. Because yeah its fun with the bikes in the current game but there would be waay more fun if I got the chance to ride one of them old ass or even a fairly new ninja 250 croch rocket.

@ HeilSvenska Find $20 bucks and buy the game, you won't regret it. Hours of fun riding around and hot lapping @ infinion, Sukuka, the Ring, and alot of other tracks.

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Lets hope they dont disable the hardware PS2 compatibility of the older PS3 systems one day with a download patch.
Seeing the their latest trend of screwing the consumer over to save a few bucks, I am sure they might as well do that and put up a PS2 and PS1 emulator on the PSN store................lets just hope they didn't read this lol. But then again I mean its fucking Sony, their asses deliver quality produts when they make something....not all the time but the majority from my experiences.......now if only they made tractors and other equipment.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #68
Vansquish
Regular User

^^ The only problem that the PS3 seems to have with GT4 and TT is that the high-res modes (1080i) don't work properly...hopefully they'll release an update to fix this (I'd even be willing to pay for it...)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #69
Pokiou
Regular User

i want them to remake the game for the ps3
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote