Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 04-04-2005, 01:35 AM   #46
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
I've actually done a trans job on a 3.1 V6 although it was an Automatic and I can tell you it isn't that difficult of a job if you have the proper equipment, in your home garage it may be difficult since you have to remove the sub frame/ Cross member and support the engine from the top then remove all the bell housing bolts, 2 of which reguire like a 14 inch extention to get too. lets just say Flex joint sockets are a godsend in such a job. Any how if you are good and have a lift and trans jack you can get the old one out in 45 minutes tops if it's your first one. (this guy bought a replacement junk yard tranny that shot out in a week so we had to do it again.) so with the conversion to manual i.e. cut out the firewall, install clutch master cylinder, Reflash ECU, then install transaxle then Allignment and your done.
I've done a couple of transaxles on caviliers but they were the four bangers. not that much different with an automatic, just need to remove the torque converter bolts from the flexplate before going up top and taking out the bellhousing bolts. flashing the ECU won't be hard. just need to take it to the dealer and tell them what i did. or we could always send it somewhere to be chipped

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #47
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by Aleighy
I dont know how to drive a stick. Sad and pathetic, aint it? So after we put this new tranny in, whos gunna teach me how to handle it? Any volunteers?
I'm up for it, it's always fun teaching someone to drive manual. It sure as hell was fun for me to learn on my friends eclipse. I'de suggest joining this forum to see what they suggest on the technical aspect of things. http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/in...fc8b98064f3702

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #48
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
I've actually done a trans job on a 3.1 V6 although it was an Automatic and I can tell you it isn't that difficult of a job if you have the proper equipment, in your home garage it may be difficult since you have to remove the sub frame/ Cross member and support the engine from the top then remove all the bell housing bolts, 2 of which reguire like a 14 inch extention to get too. lets just say Flex joint sockets are a godsend in such a job. Any how if you are good and have a lift and trans jack you can get the old one out in 45 minutes tops if it's your first one. (this guy bought a replacement junk yard tranny that shot out in a week so we had to do it again.) so with the conversion to manual i.e. cut out the firewall, install clutch master cylinder, Reflash ECU, then install transaxle then Allignment and your done.
I've done a couple of transaxles on caviliers but they were the four bangers. not that much different with an automatic, just need to remove the torque converter bolts from the flexplate before going up top and taking out the bellhousing bolts. flashing the ECU won't be hard. just need to take it to the dealer and tell them what i did. or we could always send it somewhere to be chipped
I have access to a GM Tech 2 so no need to pay a dealer. Shit you could use my shop and get free labor out of it aswell.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #49
topgeartom
Regular User

now THATS what i call service!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #50
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I have access to a GM Tech 2 so no need to pay a dealer. Shit you could use my shop and get free labor out of it aswell.
Sweet! Thanks for the offer T-bird! now the question is, will the car run without the module seeing the auto trans there?

In other words, would i be able to swap tranny's down here and then drive it up there to flash the ECU? or should we just have everything shipped to your shop and then take a road trip to do it there?

(HAHA!!, This whole idea is only a few days old and already we're making plans on where all this will take place Who says men don't know how to commit to anything? )

Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #51
Baf_love
Regular User

GOOD ONE !!!
Baf_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #52
T-Bird
Regular User

Sweet! Thanks for the offer T-bird! now the question is, will the car run without the module seeing the auto trans there?

In other words, would i be able to swap tranny's down here and then drive it up there to flash the ECU? or should we just have everything shipped to your shop and then take a road trip to do it there?

(HAHA!!, This whole idea is only a few days old and already we're making plans on where all this will take place Who says men don't know how to commit to anything? )
well I think it would be running in limp mode the whole way so that would be tough call especially since the car is in Washington
Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 AM   #53
Aleighy
Regular User

Well, i spent most of the day today workin on what I call my Blacout Project, although its only half done. Ever since i got the car i have wanted to black out the head and tail lights, but the new housings for the taillights were just way too expensive right now. But on sunday night i was at a party and i was talkin to this girl who has a Grand Am SE and her taillights were all blacked out and so i was askin her how she did it. Its just this kit she picked up, a do it yourself kind of thing. So after i paid my bills this mornin i hopped in the car and went to pick up the kit. It took like 3 hours, but there was a lot of wait time involved. The finish product is exactly how i wanted it to be. In a few weeks ill go in and order the headlight covers, but im satisfied with this for now.

>BONK<
Aleighy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #54
T-Bird
Regular User

that's pretty cool, you should do the center brake light aswell. what is it like thinned out spray paint? if so I would have been lazy and done it on the car...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:32 AM   #55
Aleighy
Regular User

im gunna do the center brake light but i didnt wanna take the time to do it once i got the taillights on and decided the center one needed to be done too, it was just too late to deal with it. im not sure what it is, its a spray paint type can but the stuff is made especially for blacking out the taillights.

>BONK<
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 AM   #56
blah
Regular User

Very nice looking mod there. Cheap too i bet. Its the little things that can really set off a car.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #57
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Just make sure you didn't make them too dark. All it's going to take is a state trooper having a bad day to make your project all for nothing. I'm sure the lenses for your car are somewhere in the neighborhood of 116 bucks a peice plus another 50 for the third brake light.

I hope you don't plan on doing the headlights too because then cops are going to have a field day with your car.

other than that little warning it looks like a vast improvement over the stock red lenses. I'm just glad you didn't go rice and get the clear corners

Old 06-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #58
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
If it is the same engine as the Firebird V6 then they come in a 5 speed I am pretty sure?
retrofitted, yes... but a huge pain in the ass...

i think the Grand am's 5 speed for the V6 was only available until 2002, when the TA died.

nice car aliegha, a grand am is what i first learned how to drive in, but with the 2.4 4 banger...
i'll agree that the v6 in the Grand am GT feels quite nice and fast
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #59
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Cool, I love the fact you did it yourself, I would have been to lazy and let somebody else do it...lol j/k

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #60
Aleighy
Regular User

Just make sure you didn't make them too dark. All it's going to take is a state trooper having a bad day to make your project all for nothing. I'm sure the lenses for your car are somewhere in the neighborhood of 116 bucks a peice plus another 50 for the third brake light.

I hope you don't plan on doing the headlights too because then cops are going to have a field day with your car.

other than that little warning it looks like a vast improvement over the stock red lenses. I'm just glad you didn't go rice and get the clear corners
in fact, i do plan on blacking out the headlights as well, but only with snap on covers. my car is going to be so fucking illegal by the time i get done with it, and im fully aware of it. add to the head and taillights a 5% (or 95%, however you look at it) tint on all the windows (legal limit is 20%) and an exhaust and stereo that is bound to break sound pollution laws, and my lead foot, ill be way over the legal line. but it doesnt much matter to me, if i get pulled over for any of the styling mods, ill just make my eyes all wide and play innocent. my honda that i had before my GAGT was even more illegal and the "playing dumb" worked numerous times. guess this is where it pays to be a girl?

damn me if i happen to be pulled over by a chick cop, wide eyed innocence doesn't go so far with them...i just pray shes a...butch...chick...lol

>BONK<