Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
79TA
Regular User

some pics from the event

http://www.photoshop.com/user/socala...ackingid=BTAGC
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Looks like it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Hopefully this will send the folks that dont think old F-Bodies can stop and turn a-packing
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
79TA
Regular User

For reference, John Marconi ran his Duratec powered Caterham. In addition to weighing nothing, the car had 20 treadwear tires, no typo. It ran a 28.6, but probably could have shaved some time had he been smoother. The next quickest car there was a bone stock C5 Z06 with a 28.9 second run, barely edging out the DSE second gen and the Mary Pozzi Camaro. The DSE cars wore BF Goodrich KDW 2's which are 300 treadwear tires. The DSE second gen was likely the quickest car there and would have greatly benefitted from slightly more aggressive tires.

Mary Pozzi's Camaro was notable in that it was only lightly modified in the suspension department. She ran stiffer coil springs along with Hotchkis leaf springs just like my car. She had some better bracing (subframe connectors and "g bars") than my TA does along with upper A-arms that allowed her to dial in some more caster. Of course, her hotchkis sway bars, were thicker than my stock WS4's. Our cars were even had near identical weights. The biggest difference, other than her champion autocross driving skills, was that she was running 180 treadwear Kumho Ecsta tires.

My Trans Am was limited by its tires, but I was still impressed by how well they held on. I just wish I had video of my better runs from the second day. Ugh, now I really want a second set of wheels for more aggressive tires.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

^^ I want to get a old F-Body now

Looks like a ton of fun...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Minacious
Regular User

Hell yeah! That looked like good fun. Nice to see one of our own out there.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Looks like it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Hopefully this will send the folks that dont think old F-Bodies can stop and turn a-packing
You kown what some of those older f body's in the video have better handling than most modern sportscars/supercars.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
You kown what some of those older f body's in the video have better handling than most modern sportscars/supercars.
Sure - as long as they are bone stock. Just look at what a stock C5 Z did to that little cone course.

Put some slicks, $20 Bilsteins, T1 sways and kick the camber out on that C5 Z and retake the test hehe.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
pagani
Regular User

Sure - as long as they are bone stock. Just look at what a stock C5 Z did to that little cone course.

Put some slicks, $20 Bilsteins, T1 sways and kick the camber out on that C5 Z and retake the test hehe.
I could the same to a f body
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

I could the same to a f body

No - you miss the point entirely.

A stock modern supercar is faster than a very expensive modded older car. Thats just the way it is.

It takes many thousand dollars to take a mid 70's car and make it out handle a bone stock modern supercar.

At that point the supercar could then spend a bit more money and crush the modded old car - and still retain full amenities.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Well done 79TA !!! Looks like you had a blast
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
pagani
Regular User

Cool

A stock modern supercar is faster than a very expensive modded older car. Thats just the way it is.

It takes many thousand dollars to take a mid 70's car and make it out handle a bone stock modern supercar.

At that point the supercar could then spend a bit more money and crush the modded old car - and still retain full amenities.
Maby it would be cool to beat modern whit a old hot rodded /pro touring muscle car.
Wait it's has been done all ready and it's called the big red camaro.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Maby it would be cool to beat modern whit a old hot rodded /pro touring muscle car.
Wait it's has been done all ready and it's called the big red camaro.
Without polluting this cool thread, you are just being absurd now.

Nobody every said "it wasnt cool" - but there is "cool" and "practical" - a $25,000 used car matching a $250,000 custom built car is a silly justification - and that was the intent of the original comment, to just show that 21st century stock is as good as super modified 70's 20th century. That is all. No need to keep flogging the same dead horse.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
pagani
Regular User

Without polluting this cool thread, you are just being absurd now.

Nobody every said "it wasnt cool" - but there is "cool" and "practical" - a $25,000 used car matching a $250,000 custom built car is a silly justification - and that was the intent of the original comment, to just show that 21st century stock is as good as super modified 70's 20th century. That is all. No need to keep flogging the same dead horse.
That is just my crazy idea.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #15
79TA
Regular User

The stock C5 Z06 really impressed me. On a larger autocross (think 1.8 mile solo 2 course) or road course, cars like Bad Penny and the other good pro-tourers leave stock C5's in the dust, but this is a good illustration of how much better designed newer cars are. I'm not going to argue bang for the buck in either direction because there are just too many variables and unique scenarios. It does cost thousands to get an old car's suspension to modern performance levels and then more to try to surpass them. Tires are also a huge factor, just as they always are. I think had the DSE second gen run the 180 treadwear kumhos, it would have been the quickest car of the day.

There was also a new ZR-1 there, driven by its owner (the man who owns Mothers) and it got down into the 30's. He wasn't as smooth as some and all the power made it too easy for him to get into the corners too hot.

And the counterpoint to the trick DSE car's was Mary Pozzi's Camaro running stock style bolt-on suspension that was only barely edged out by the C5 Z06.

As far as ultimate performance mods go, when you get crazy race car hardcore, the car is just a shell on a tubeframe chassis and what year you call it really only affects aerodynamics.