Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
philip
Regular User

Default Diesel now less than unleaded regular

During the bad old days a year ago when gas prices were so high, diesel was even higher. Diesel got to 5.00 a gallon, almost a full dollar more than unleaded regular. Even with the improved mileage of diesel it didnt make up for that big a difference.

Now amazingly diesel is five to ten cents a gallon less than unleaded regular. This is where it historically has been, prior to the spike last year. Diesel also has to overcome a higher fuel tax than unleaded regular.

Diesel is $2.05 to $2.15 a gallon now here in Houston.

I have no idea how the automakers will produce reasonable sized cars that get 42 miles to the gallon. So will Porsche go back to 4 cylinder under 2 litre cars. Even the 914 didnt get 42 miles to the gallon.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
79TA
Regular User

Wow, that's crazy. Before the economic crisis, I had seen diesel cheaper than gas once. I'll have to keep an eye out on prices out here in SoCal. Now hopefully this encourages more people to go out and buy TDI Jettas and the like.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
black_diamond
Regular User

How will people find an already scarce car. Saw the pricing on a 335d $45,000! Not worth the money.

Diesel came down because of lack of demand, looks like it will stay there.

The changes in the CAFE standards are a pipe dream. I was talking to someone who said they had an old Ford from the 50s that got 40 MPG, they said they can do it they don't want to. I then proceeded to ask them if they had the following equipment: Airbags (several of them), Air conditioning, Sat Nav, Sun roof, electric windows, double glazed glass, heated seats, a hard drive, an on board computer,run flat tires, disc brakes, heated windows. That weight adds up.

Frankly its amazing cars like the 3er get 30 MPG with all the crap onboard.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Actually its amazing that cars like the 3er are allowed to be built with the eco-loons around.

Guys get used to it, the eco-loons and global warming nutjobs are going to have plastics outlawed and anything else they deem to have a harsh carbon footprint during its lifecycle, knocking us 100 years backwars - if we dont take our world back soon we are in for a world of hurt.

Already they are after powering equipment down, which means no TiVo, wake on LAN, POE devices, no sleep-mode and no new tech.

They seem to forget all the "innovations" require energy.

If only w could have paused the world in 2007/2008 - great cars, great tech, great fuek prices - the true "Golden Era" hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
SHIZL
Regular User

unfortunately the use of personal diesel will drive up the cost of shipping here in the states but i would also want one instead of my gasoline(petrol) truck
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SHIZL View Post
unfortunately the use of personal diesel will drive up the cost of shipping here in the states but i would also want one instead of my gasoline(petrol) truck
At least we still have an extensive rail system that can continue to help keep the long-haul costs down, but yeah, our reliance on local shart-haul deliveries for all our goods mean any increase in diesel gets passed directly to the consumer.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
black_diamond
Regular User

Nymex Crude Future 61.14 -1.45

Its down today but its had a very good rally over the last few months, actually ever since Obama and the Demoncats took over and recinded the off-shore drilling ban, oil has taken a climb. T. Boone Pickens is saying its going to hit triple digit soon. The funny thing is I follow oil and the markets everyday, when the stock market is up the dollars value goes up, oil falls.

The last month or so since the makets have been rising, the dollar is dropping and oil is climbing.

Its the dollar stupid, with all this debt and I read today the UK is 100 % in debt to their GDP it sinks the currencies and drives up oil. It can keep climbing, nothing is holding it back now--its not demand.

If you compare the value of gold to oil, oil hasn't risen a cent, the dollar has lost value.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

And we are at about 80% to GDP.. and closing on the UK numbers fast. Doesnt look good at all.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

Where I live, all fuel prices have been going down throughout the past several months, but diesel is still a bit more expensive. It probably has a fair bit to do with demand and supply, the popularity of diesel cars being through the roof. We also rely heavily on road trains for long-haul transportation.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
philip
Regular User

Diesel is now ten cents a gallon less than regular. Amazing what a year will do.