Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 03-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #16
T-Bird
Regular User

from what I gathered talking to Kurt is that half the guys if not all wouldn't want to work with the same guy incharge of the first car at this point. And what I gathered is that most of them are still doing their part to keep the cars that exist running especially the mokery made with the broken display panel car (I forgot which one it is).

Honestly from the first pictures I saw I didn't think the car was that amazing but getting to see Kurt's sitting there in his garage I have to say I found a new appreciation for it. It really is something else once you see it in person.

I thought I recognized the house in those pictures especially the sled trailer in the background
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
from what I gathered talking to Kurt is that half the guys if not all wouldn't want to work with the same guy incharge of the first car at this point. And what I gathered is that most of them are still doing their part to keep the cars that exist running especially the mokery made with the broken display panel car (I forgot which one it is).

Honestly from the first pictures I saw I didn't think the car was that amazing but getting to see Kurt's sitting there in his garage I have to say I found a new appreciation for it. It really is something else once you see it in person.

I thought I recognized the house in those pictures especially the sled trailer in the background
As a stupid kid, I wondered why the W8 was so much more powerful then the M12, and it made no sence to me

also, it's good you dont know which car has the ELD issues, I don't think the owner want's that mentioned much in public
Old 03-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
khaled.f
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
I don't think the car is beautiful but it is a true supercar!

Thanks for the pics!
I feel the rear of the W8 is unfinished, and a bit flat; that is where the AWX 3 comes in, as the rear is complete, and not left wanting to look at another angle. but, everywhere else, I feel the Vector is a masterpiece of design.

Khaled, You might be surprised to hear how aerodynamically efficiant the Vector W8 is. The W8 in "testing" reached V max 5 times, 3 of which were on PCH, the other two were on the Bonneville Salt Flats... 242 mph, at max RPM.

A few components were changed from the earliest of W8's to the newest of W8's based on honed wind tunnel testing, such as removing the "gills" and making more swept intake ducting throughout. For a car so wide, you will find few out there with such a low coeficient of drag. (less then .33 Cd)

The AWX3 was going to exentuate on aerodynamic eficiancy, and some of the advancements were even optional equipment on the W8 (mirror delete, in place of rear view camera) which nobody had ordered up through that point. there was even an optional 3 seat configuration in the W8.

I agree that is unfortunate how many young people know about the W8... but anybody who has been reading car magazines for the last 15 years almost certainly has heard stories about it

One of hte most interesting was the first time that Top Wheels was testing the W2 prototype, where the jurnalists lost interest in the car, and decided to race the Testerossa, and Countach against each other. Jerry wouldn't have any of it once he heard what was going on (by the loud V12's screaming away leaving the vector parked.

Jerry started up, and floored it, right about the time they were a 1/4 mile away, and by the end of the mile run, the W2 was nearly a 1/4 mile ahead! Immediately, the Vector was the center of attention
That's really new information for me, about the W2/Countach/Testarossa matter- that's really great, & it speaks volumes about the W2's capabilities. I really wish Wiegert could revive the W2 again, it would still be one of the most outlandish cars in the world-even now...As for the W8's aerodynamic co-effecient, it's a really nice surprise to me, since I always though of it to be near the 0.40 cd, because of it's extra sharp angles...but this is not strange ,since generally the drag co-effecient of any car is 60% related to the shape, & 40% for the surfaces, & the W8's shape is just swoopy! Of course the WX3 went a step further in Aerodynamic & Thermodynamic effeciency, but to me, & I think you & most Vector addicts, the W8 & W2 win in the looks department hands down...
khaled.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
sameerrao
Regular User

I think the Vector looks like a proper 80s supercar. Remember the 80s were a decade of excess and the supercar designers pandered to it. The beautiful, lithe Countaches of the 70s had a lot of "power" bulges and scoops thrown into the mix. Remember the TR with its strakes. The Porsche with slant nose and big wings.

I think it was a great car for its time and well built too with aerospace technology thrown in. Pity about the automatic though.

I think we try to evaluate cars based on today's circumstances instead of putting ourselves in the era when the car was built.

I think the McLaren is the best supercar of all time. I know it cannot handle as well as today's supercars thanks to 12 years of advancement in brakes and tire technology, etc. But when it came out it was truly revolutionary.

Similarly the Jaguar E Type, Ford GT40, Porsche Carrera RS, F40 and other iconic cars set the standard in their time. Yes a 599 can beat an F40 from a numbers perspective but will it ever have such a fan population as the old stager?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao

I think the McLaren is the best supercar of all time. I know it cannot handle as well as today's supercars thanks to 12 years of advancement in brakes and tire technology, etc. But when it came out it was truly revolutionary.
Not only as good as today's supercars, but as well as the competition in the early and mid 90's as well The EB110 was better in the corners, the XJ220 was worse on brakes, better in the corners, the F40 was better all around, just less 'comfortable and practical', and the Vector W8 (not so much in the form of the W2) was just as revolutionary, if not more so as the F1.

and, as to having "too much aerospace technology" what is that supposed to mean?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #21
sameerrao
Regular User

Not only as good as today's supercars, but as well as the competition in the early and mid 90's as well The EB110 was better in the corners, the XJ220 was worse on brakes, better in the corners, the F40 was better all around, just less 'comfortable and practical', and the Vector W8 (not so much in the form of the W2) was just as revolutionary, if not more so as the F1.

and, as to having "too much aerospace technology" what is that supposed to mean?
Better/worse than the other cars - what is the based on? Road tests, 3rd party information?

I never said "too much aerospace technology" read my comment again before jumping on the defensive?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

Better/worse than the other cars - what is the based on? Road tests, 3rd party information?

I never said "too much aerospace technology" read my comment again before jumping on the defensive?
quick glance error. However, what was defensive?

Also, the better / worse is based on 3rd party road tests
Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #23
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
the EB110 was by far the most competent supercar of the 90s....it destroyed the McLaren F1 in every way.....except top speed.

Good enough for Schumacher to own one...i'm sure sameer will appreciate that
I would agree about the EB110's handling thanks to the AWD grip. The F1 was better accelerating and had a higher top speed (of course that is pretty academic as no one is really going to do 200mph+ or whatever anyway)

The F1 requires a driver with excellent skills. It seems like a car that will take an owner forever to master it.

Schumacher used to trade cars in and out a lot in the 90s. He had one of the nicest 355s ever - it had an amazing 10K redline (1500 rpm more than the normal car).

All the supercars had some weakness or the other. The F40 has terrible brakes - owners who track their cars have adopted the LM brakes and had boost some of the relays to make it grab properly. The XJ220 was a very good all rounder but was pretty poorly made (gear level falling off) and was a big disappointment to collectors who were first promised a V12 and then given a V6 instead. The Bugatti was heavy, had very tight driving positions.

The fact that the F1 is normally aspirated makes it a more responsive engine rather than an all mighty thrust when the boost comes on.

We can argue all day but in the end some cars appeal to us more than the others. To each their own.

Here are some articles on the F1
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13834
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12097

Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

I've never said the F1's p ower plant was terrible, bad, or anything suggesting as much. The same isn't true of it's transmission.

That is why the Vector went with an Automatic gearbox, It could withstand 1800 hp tq with ease.

there is a difference between the typical supercar, and one that is relatively maintainence free. The mclaren F1 boosts super extra supercar maintainence costs. The Vector can do much that hte F1 could/can not do, and often doing it better.

The greatest of 90's supercars? the W8 by far
Old 03-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #25
sameerrao
Regular User

The Mclaren requires an oil well in the backyard to maintain it I am going to dig a bit this afternoon. Wish me luck

Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #26
nthfinity
Regular User

The Mclaren requires an oil well in the backyard to maintain it I am going to dig a bit this afternoon. Wish me luck
Lots of Luck, I hope you find that well, and can get that F1...doesn't mean I have to like the car LOL