Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
LEXION
Regular User

Default First Formula 1 Night Race Confirmed

First Formula 1 Night Race Confirmed

For the first time in Formula 1 history, we can look forward to the first night time race which will be held in Singapore on 28th September after the FIA officially confirmed the event. Construction for the new street circuit in the Asian city began in August

It remains to be seen how driving in night time is going to affect the drivers, however it is unlikely to bother current world champion Kimi too much as the Finnish ice man has had to deal with about 3 hours daylight during the winter in his native Finland.
via http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071026....race-confirmed

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
blue8
Regular User

Posted:
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...r=asc&start=39

More on Singapore: the country plans to build a permanent race track by 2010/2011

The Singapore Government announced Friday that it will be developing the motor sports industry in Singapore by working with the private sector to build a permanent race track located in Changi (eastern part of Singapore).

"The government has identified the motor sports industry as a growth industry that will contribute to sports development and the economy in Singapore. In our discussions with the private sector, industry players shared that the development of a permanent racetrack is critical for us to develop a comprehensive motor sports industry. The government has thus decided to facilitate the private sector's development of a permanent racetrack. The project will be fully funded by the private sector," said Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports.

A Request for Proposal for the permanent racetrack, located on a 20-hectare plot with a tenure of 30 years, is expected to go out in May 2008. The racetrack is expected to be completed by the end of 2010 or early 2011.

Added Dr Balakrishnan: "Motor sports is the third most popular spectator sport behind the Olympics and the World Cup. Many races are given extensive media coverage worldwide with global networks. This will certainly provide a boost to sport participation, excellence and industry.
Motor sports development is expected to lead to the birth and growth of direct and indirect motor sport businesses in sectors like services, engineering, logistics, training and education. Singapore has the infrastructure, technical expertise, manufacturing and R&D capabilities to facilitate the growth of the motor sports industry."

Oon Jin Teik, Chief Executive Officer, Singapore Sports Council said: "The SSC has set up a division to facilitate the planning and development of the motor sport industry. Together with the Singapore Motor Sports Association and other government agencies, we will look at talent identification and development, developing local motor events and bringing in international motor events."

Singapore has a large following of motor sport enthusiasts with over 100 car clubs, each with memberships ranging from 50 to as many as 2000 members. The Singapore Motor Sports Association (SMSA) and its affiliated motoring clubs have more than 4000 registered members who participate in regular motor sports activities organized by the SMSA.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

I lived there a number of years ago, and their motorsports activities consisted primarily of driving road cars at ridiculous speeds around outdoor carparks, as well as go-karting. F1 is a really big step up for them.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
gangajas
Regular User

Tha NASCARisation of F1 continues!
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

^At least F1 has both left and right turns.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
^At least F1 has both left and right turns.
Nascar too

gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
saadie
Regular User

^^ they coppied that from F1

a night race wont be bad :\ ..
Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

^Considering the proposed Singapore circuit is mostly a mesmerising meander through high-rise buildings, having a night race would be disastrous for live spectators. But then again, it's not like there would have been many in the first place. There's not a lot of places you'd be able to put a big grandstand.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
saadie
Regular User

^^ ahah ...
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
pzgren
Regular User

yeah - looking forward to see F1 cars with huge headlights driving around a track

Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Another stupid idea from Mr Ecclestone; the next step (in order to get more audience and furthermore, more profit) is going to contract the Playboy girls for driving the cars
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

lol

See what happens, perhaps Ecclestone reads my idea, and he starts doing something similar; if so, naturally Ill sue himself and Ill demand some bill for not respecting the author rights, Ill use the website as a witness
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
saadie
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by Ford Capri 2.8i
Another stupid idea from Mr Ecclestone; the next step (in order to get more audience and furthermore, more profit) is going to contract the Playboy girls for driving the cars
Where do I sign?!
your a playboy girl ..
you name should be danni ...
Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
blue8
Regular User

Am I the only one who likes the idea of the night race? From what I know, a massive lighting system will be installed in the street circuit making it visible enough for the drivers. The main reason behind the night race is to make it more convenient for the European audience. I also like the idea of having new race tracks in emerging markets around the world

The real stupid idea is the 10 year engine development freeze starting next year

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

the next step (in order to get more audience and furthermore, more profit) is going to contract the Playboy girls for driving the cars
There is a motorcyclist, who was a fashion model, in the national 125cc championships here who was recruited for promotional purposes. She became so good that she can now race the entire championship.