Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-25-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
Balls
Regular User

Default Takuma Sato's missed chances...

So what's up with Sato's Honda? Seems like he can't keep his finger off the step7 button or something... why is Jenson getting podiums and he gets dnf's?

Is this guy the king of unluckiness? Is it the team? Is it him?
Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:37 AM   #2
rob_e1
Regular User

Sato lacks experience, thats all. Same is true of Massa, and its also the same reason Pizzonia got dropped.

Some of these guys are super quick over a few laps but they don't have the experience to keep consistenly quick over the full race, or not lose concentration and make mistakes.

Agree sato was unlucky with the engine blow, but he almost crashed out on the grid - look at the start - he bangs wheels with shumacher..!

Problem is for teams like BAR, when they get a competitive car (finally) you want to have a driver who can capitalise on it, not someone who's just 'learning the ropes'.

Just my 02p.
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by rob_e1
Sato lacks experience, thats all. Same is true of Massa, and its also the same reason Pizzonia got dropped.

Some of these guys are super quick over a few laps but they don't have the experience to keep consistenly quick over the full race, or not lose concentration and make mistakes.

Agree sato was unlucky with the engine blow, but he almost crashed out on the grid - look at the start - he bangs wheels with shumacher..!

Problem is for teams like BAR, when they get a competitive car (finally) you want to have a driver who can capitalise on it, not someone who's just 'learning the ropes'.

Just my 02p.
Yup exactly. He just can't hold it for over a period extended over a race.

What he needs to do is focus more on making less mistakes. This guy could be blistering fast during a few laps. He just gotta put it all together. He is a lot better now than when he debut with Jordan 2 years ago.

Go a bit slower and make less mistakes, more consistent results.

I hope that he'll have a chance to stay in F1.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

I think he's too "hot", big attack but not enough reflexion.
But he has a potential, i guess he's a god in japan
Old 05-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
Balls
Regular User

I guess i agree that he needs experience. It definitely shows. But I guess my point is that it seem that specfically this year, when he's in a "good" car his engines still blow up and yet button finishes every race. Malaysia, imola, montecarlo... that's three of six races. The other three he finishes in the top ten. (Twice in the top five!) So... just to kind of add more fuel to the fire.... what's up with that?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
mrzonda
Regular User

It's a bit of unluckiness, and inexperience, but he'll get there pretty soon I think.

That was awesome!
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
Toronto
Regular User

i think he just doesnt fit in an f1 car, he kills them, button has the same car and finishes very well, while sato just likes to blow them up
Old 05-26-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
Balls
Regular User

Originally Posted by toronto
i think he just doesnt fit in an f1 car, he kills them, button has the same car and finishes very well, while sato just likes to blow them up
hehe... yeah i wonder if they're still using the 'vtec' button? haha... maybe he keeps pushing the button 8 times...
Old 05-26-2004, 02:51 AM   #9
dons5
Regular User

u think hes unlucky? Fisi is the one whos unlucky, he qualifies 10th with a Sauber (more then anyone else except M Schumacher both had 26 laps worth of fuel), and then satos stupid engine blows when BAR should of put Sato out instead of just waiting for it to blow, even itv-f1 said Fisi would of had 4th today ahead of Montoya and Possibly 3rd ahead of Rubens since Rubens was havin problems
Old 05-30-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
Balls
Regular User

AGAIN!!! This guy is gonna be so happy when he wins his first gp! haha
Old 05-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
szumszer
Regular User

sato needs to chill, today's race proves just that, too hot, he was trying to take out rubens or take out rubens in that turn one, what a stupid hot-headed move, don't turn into JPM, chill, get laid, relax, don't snort any coke like JPM, and for god's sake don't crash into number two car when you have plenty of chances to overtake later in the race, this was not the last corner of the race, chill; button won cause he is a better driver, all around, control goes beyond just car control, judgement counts a lot too, like control of emotions; he damaged his car, maybe that is why it blew up ... never know where pieces of carbon got stuck
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:01 PM   #12
5vz-fe
Regular User

Yeah, he needs to chill and accept his failure. The following is from BBC Sport after the race:

__________________________________________________ _______________

Sato rejects 'amateur' slur

Schumi storms to home win
Japan's Takuma Sato laughed off criticism from Rubens Barrichello after the pair collided in the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.
The drivers bumped as Sato attempted to pass second-placed Barrichello, who labelled the move "amateur".

But Sato said: "I laughed when I heard that - I was totally in control.

"It was just an unlucky situation - in this business you have to be ambitious," added Sato, who retired after his engine blew on lap 48.

Sato began the race from second on the grid - the first Japanese driver to do so - but was overtaken by Barrichello and Jarno Trulli after a poor start.

By lap 46 he was battling it out with the Ferrari driver for second place when the pair made contact.

The incident left Sato's car with a damaged nose cone, but the BAR driver maintained he was right to try to overtake.

"I had fresh tyres, I had a lot of grip and the car was so nice. He never looked up. He didn't see in his mirrors," Sato said.

Barrichello went on to finish second in a Ferrari one-two behind world champion Michael Schumacher.

__________________________________________________ ______________

What was he thinking? He's obviously running in to Rubens and Rubens is in the Racing line.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #13
szumszer
Regular User

ambitious is synonymous with stupid or illegal here? he could have knocked out rubens out of the race; I would think that a driver who after few years of stinking up F1 in an underfunded effort, having finally a good car and good chances for a podium would go for the podium finish, instead of accepting 3rd for time being with a chance to overtake rubens for 2nd during remaining few laps, sato chose to do something that was both illegal and stupid, he put himself out of the podium position and possibly due to other damage, out of the race; instead of 3rd or possibly 2nd, he yet again accomplished DNF; now that was both stupid and amateur-like, if he truly is japanese he perhaps should consider hare kiri
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:45 PM   #14
hiroshima
Regular User

I think Sato is, mostly, unlucky. I really belive that he has skill.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:38 PM   #15
Balls
Regular User

wow... i guess i'm in the minority here but I think Rubens screwed up there... doesn't matter now since we know that Sato's engine failed. Regardless of why sato was there, be it that he is an amatuer or that he made a good move, rubens knew he was coming so he should have either taken a more defensive line or paid closer attention to sato's whereabouts.