Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 10-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Input Needed from Porschephiles

At the moment, I'm looking very seriously at a 1993 911 RS America with 69,000 miles. From the pictures, it's cherry. I'm working at looking at it early next week, it's not local, but isn't far from me.

This will be my first Porsche. What are the warnings, caveats and things to look for when I look at the car? It's going in for a pre-purchase inspection with my mechanic, who does both BMW and Porsche, so I'm not AS worried about that part. What I like is input on the ownership aspect of an older 964 model year 911. I know they're known for oil leaks, they need valve adjustments....what are other things for me to keep in mind?

People have suggested a 993 instead, but I like the uniqueness of an RSA model, even though it's not as hardcore as the euro RS...it's still a "special" version of the 911. I also kind of just dig the older model a little more...

All comments, bad and good welcomed...thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

i HIGHLY recomend "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook" by Bruce Anderson for more accessible info then i can give you. first if all is well mechanically, if i were you, i wouldn't be disappointed .

anyway, ill scan in some info for you; hope it helps
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
lakatu
Regular User

Hi there StanAE86.

My understanding is that all of the issues involved in the 964 were resolved by 1993. Check out this thread both my comments and others concerning these issues for more information. http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=146602#146602

In some ways I understand your preference for a 964 I really like the look of the classic 911 myself. However, having said that it is my opinion that it still might be worth looking into a 993 instead for several reasons. First, they are the last aircooled 911 and considered by most as the best looking 911 of all time. While this is subjective it will affect the resale value of both the 964 and the 993. The 964 is rather distained by the Porsche community. So keep that in mind. You will frequently find 3.2L 911's that sell for more that their 964 brethren. Secondly, the 993 was a huge leap forward in performance especially in handling. Finally while the 964 RS is rare it really isn't that different from the standard 964 and I believe that there really isn't much in the way of a performance increase. Based on this I would guess that you would see much in the way of higher prices at resale as it has less amenities and really no performance increase…not really a strong selling point.

If you are still set on it I would also consider having the car looked over by a Porsche dealer mechanic instead of your personal mechanic as they are more familiar with problems and signs of impending problems from that particular model.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:14 AM   #4
StanAE86
Regular User

The input is much appreciated....thanks. I'm going to have in inspected. I'm pretty set on this RSA...hopefully, because it is a limited run, it'll hold value better than a standard 993. 993 would have been my next choice, but they're holding value too well for me right now...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
DJF1
Regular User

The RSA is a pretty unique car. I'd definately go for it. They make some pretty fast race car too
PPI as you said is a MUST. Usual wear and tear items like the clutch, pads etc are the norm. If the clutch is very heavy its usually an indication that soon it will need replacement. The engines are pretty bulletproof and you should not worry about it for a long long time. You will need to do the timing valves every 15K I believe. I would pay attention to the lifeblood of the car which is oil. My mechanic ( 30+ years of 911 experience and among the best in the country) scoffs at the recent Porsche recomendations regarding the oil weight. Especially if you live in a warm climate dont put anything else but Mobil 1 15-50. I race with this oil and change it every 3K or after a race weekend. I raced an 80K engine for many weekends without a hitch.
The only other thing I would budget for is suspension. the stock shocks are probably shot so you should budget for a nice upgrade. I recommend the H&R coilover system, it makes a huge different on the road and track.
The RSA is pretty special and you should hang on to it. Its a GREAT 911.
When you get it please post pics.

Here is a good site with plenty of info:
http://rsamerica.net/whatis.htm
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
StanAE86
Regular User

Thanks Danny,

I've been on RSAmerica.net a lot recently. The car I'm looking at has Eibach lowering springs, but I don't know if they did the shocks at the same time...I'll have to check. After 10 years, I'm assuming they should be changed.

I'm very excited about this possibility. Currently, the car is being driven up to the owner's brother, who lives in my same city. From there, I will look at it, and have it inspected locally, by the mechanic that I use for my M5, which happens to be the same mechanic that worked on the owner's car, before he moved away. The mechanic remembers the car and said it was a stunning example when he last saw it in 2001...so I am hopeful.

I will keep everyone posted and will definately update my listing with the "what do you drive or ride" section....

As a longer response to lakatu's reply (I had to leave while typing my response), I had looked at the 993s and considered them. But I think I would want a 1997 or 1998, and both those years are out of my price range at the moment, unless I want to settle for a higher mileage car (compared to the year of the car). In addition, I think that the "normal" 993s will continue to depreciate while the RSA, as a special model run, limited in numbers, will hold value better. From the research that I've done, there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to the value of these cars, some with higher miles go for more money, while some with less go other prices. I think the price is reflective more of the condition of the car than the mileage on the motor. Based upon the limited numbers built, I foresee the car "bottoming out" in value, in the low $20k range and not much lower, even with a lot of mileage, if it is kept in good working order. At least, that is my hope. I hope to enjoy the car for some time, then be able to sell it without losing a lot of money on it.

Some of you may know that I have a 1991 BMW M5 as well. During my ownership, and after the improvements I put into it, the car has gone up in value. While it will continue to depreciate, it seems that they "bottom out" at about $11k - and those examples are in terrible shape. Cars with many more miles than mine, still get about $14k. I'm hoping that this RSA that I'm looking at for $35k will still sell for mid $20k range even after I put a lot of miles on it (although my M5 was only getting about 10k miles a year).

Wish me luck!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
DJF1
Regular User

Good luck indeed! I just need to throw one thought in there for ya. You said the car has Eibach springs already and you hope for changed shocks. Well, unfortunately, many oportunist "tuners" will just sell you springs and reinstall the original shocks. Not saying that they charge the customr for new shocks, instead mislead them that the cure to better handling is a set of new springs. I've seen it unfortunately once too many times. The unsuspected buyer wont know the difference, it has a bit of less roll for sure loks better etc. BUT overall its not an improvement...on the contrary really.
So make sure you inspect those shocks and find out if they are the stock kind ( should be Boge). If so budget for a new coilover system or for good shocks like the Bilstein HD to match the springs of the car ( although I would not recommend it as you dont know the spring rates). With a coilover the car becomes a seirous handling machine. You need to experience it to believe it...Unfortunately our beloved company went a bit cheap on the shocks side...the factory ones are usually shot by 20K miles.
Good luck and let us know!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
frodefe
Regular User

I read the headline an thought that I might assist and maybe bring some good advices to the table.
In stead I ended up reading what lakatu & DJF1 wrote - kept my keyboard shut and learned allot!
- thanks!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

Well...I did it...

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36714
Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
DJF1
Regular User

She looks spectacular! Congrats!