Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #31
blah
Regular User

I will give corvette credit for that 1-2 win. I fell asleep with 1 hour left. How did they get around the Astons? I know Aston was having some heat problems inside the cars.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
DTM8
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
come on Porsche, be real men and enter a GT1 class car (instead of beating up on GT2 weaklings) and let's have a real battle in 2006...
bah, so true. As much as I love Porsche, I would like to see them actually get challenged in the GT1 class.
DTM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:21 PM   #33
blah
Regular User

If Porsche wanted to they could. I think Aston has given Compuware team the best run for their money since they entered. The ferrari team is just plain terrible. They were out before 12 hours.

I did wake up for the Checkered flag, that was cool.

Now im watching Grand Am Cup racing on speed, before this F1, and before that Le mans. The best thing is there is no nascar on Speed! GOod day indeed. 8)
Old 06-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #34
666fast
Regular User

550 was actually catching up? Well I dont know what happend with the 550s, but Im very dissapointed, it should have been a tight 3 way fight.....
Yup, they had some problems at the beginning. I think they got hit with the 3:55 rule and had to carry an extra 65Kg. They weren't catching the Vettes. They were catching the remaining Aston as it sat in the pits. Had it happened a little earlier, they could have caught and passed them. As it was, they were too far behind to take 3rd in class.

I will give corvette credit for that 1-2 win. I fell asleep with 1 hour left. How did they get around the Astons? I know Aston was having some heat problems inside the cars.
One Aston was running out of gas and had a puncture. The other overheated badly. They both ended up in the pits for quite sometime. One car withdrew, the other got back on the track at the last minute.
When it happened, one Vette was in the lead, but one Aston was nipping at it's heels. So when they both went down, it left the door wide open for both Vettes to just scream by and coast to Victory. Much like what happened at Sebring! LOL

come on Porsche, be real men and enter a GT1 class car (instead of beating up on GT2 weaklings) and let's have a real battle in 2006...
St Anger did mention a 997 GT1 at one point. Even if it happens, it's a ways off. I would think they are more concerned with their upcoming P2 program.

Audi did deliver as usual its all in a days work
Almost a shame it's the R8's last LeMans. At least they went out with a win. Truth be told, had the Pescarolo's not run into the problems they did, they would have smoked the R8's. They were anywhere from 5-8 seconds faster each lap.

Don't count the Astons out just yet! They have proved themselves to be damn good! If anyone can give the Vettes a good run for their money, it's them. Rumor has it, that Bells original plan of getting two Vettes has changed to two Astons for ALMS. PCM has supposedly ordered two C6R's as well.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:55 PM   #35
RC45
Regular User

To finsh first, you first have to finish.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #36
irrational_i
Regular User

It was a great Le Mans. I was very sad for the Astons. They looked and sounded great. I am sure they will be back next year.
I do not understand why the Ferraris did so badly though. They where way off the pace.

I also do not understand why so many mechanics can not bolt a wheel on tight!

A good result for Chevrolet. Reliability wins Le Mans.
I was also very sad for Vanina Ickx. Pity the car let them down. I think they deserved better.

I am also looking forward to a Porsche in GT1. I was curious to know, if possible, where a BMW M3 GTR would compete. Are they legal for Le Mans?
I would assume GT2, where they can really harry the Porsches. Just to make things more interesting there, of course!
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #37
666fast
Regular User

I was curious to know, if possible, where a BMW M3 GTR would compete. Are they legal for Le Mans?
It's not legal for LeMans. They compete at numerous events in Germany. 24H of Nurburgring being the big one.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #38
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
That's 4 wins out of 6 starts - and 100% finish rate - The Ferrari couldn't do it - neither could the Aston... come on Porsche, be real men and enter a GT1 class car (instead of beating up on GT2 weaklings) and let's have a real battle in 2006...
Careful what you wish for. Remember what happened when a Factory backed experienced team ran in the Vettes class back in late 90's early 00...If Porsche gets into GT1 look out Vettes and everyone else.

Seriously though, I really wish there was real competition for the Vettes it would make the class a bit more exiting. Maybe American cars need to be banned from GT1 so that the other cars can have a chance lol...
Old 06-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #39
666fast
Regular User

Seriously though, I really wish there was real competition for the Vettes it would make the class a bit more exiting.
Ahem, Aston Martin is real competition! They may have had some problems, but they are a serious threat to the Vette team. Not all races are 24 hours. The Astons ARE faster.
Had the ACO not pulled thier usual nonsense, they Saleen might have been there. The new engine package with it's new tires, the Saleen is much quicker.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #40
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Maybe the Vettes should enter a series with some real competition? No one wants to race in ALMS, and the place to be for GT competition is FIA GT, so Id love to see the ALMS/LM Vette Team to race there.

The Vette is the best endurance GT out there by far. But we havent really saw how it goes in a typical 3 hour GT race. ALMS......well no decent teams race in ALMS and for the short period of time that the prodrive 550s were in ALMS it showed that it could have been some intense competition in that class.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #41
666fast
Regular User

Maybe the Vettes should enter a series with some real competition? No one wants to race in ALMS, and the place to be for GT competition is FIA GT, so Id love to see the ALMS/LM Vette Team to race there.
Maybe the teams in FIA should run in the ALMS, seems it would be more prudent if they wish to win at LeMans. Damn near a total ALMS sweep of GT1 and GT2.

The Vette is the best endurance GT out there by far. But we havent really saw how it goes in a typical 3 hour GT race. ALMS......
The Vettes ran with no problems at Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio.

well no decent teams race in ALMS and for the short period of time that the prodrive 550s were in ALMS it showed that it could have been some intense competition in that class.
:shock: No decent teams in ALMS? What world do you live in? Count the ALMS teams that took class wins. 7 out of 12, not too shabby.

Why the 550's jumped ship is beyond me, most likely because it's cheaper to run in Europe. They were good, but I don't think they would have laid waste to the Vettes like everyone seems to think they would.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #42
T-Bird
Regular User

Actually there are a lot of big time teams in ALMS alot of the big timers at the 24 Lemans race are ALMS regulars aswell Granted the field isn't as extensive but it's still a good turnout.

The Corvettes are going to probably do some changes to their cars to get them just that little bit faster than the Aston's I mean they are a Factory team and have backing up the ass so there is no way they are going to let Aston pull a quicky on them that easily. but we will see...
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #43
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
Maybe the teams in FIA should run in the ALMS, seems it would be more prudent if they wish to win at LeMans. Damn near a total ALMS sweep of GT1 and GT2.

The Vette is the best endurance GT out there by far. But we havent really saw how it goes in a typical 3 hour GT race. ALMS......
The Vettes ran with no problems at Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio.

well no decent teams race in ALMS and for the short period of time that the prodrive 550s were in ALMS it showed that it could have been some intense competition in that class.
:shock: No decent teams in ALMS? What world do you live in? Count the ALMS teams that took class wins. 7 out of 12, not too shabby.

Why the 550's jumped ship is beyond me, most likely because it's cheaper to run in Europe. They were good, but I don't think they would have laid waste to the Vettes like everyone seems to think they would.
Did you see FIA GT mate? Tons more money there, their races are as packed as F1 races, FIA GT weekends are full great support races, plus WTTC. I see no reason for any European teams to run there when they can run in FIA GT were there is tons more money.

Did you see the car variety there? Just look at my sig.

As much as I would love to see ALMS turn out into anything good, its not happening.

What teams in ALMS? Im not talking about the prototype classes...thats a different story. Im talking about GT/GTS teams. GTS class is a joke. GT class is all Porsche. MIght aswel watch Carrera Cup.

Who ever said they would lay the vettes to waste? I said there would have been some intense competition.

And yeah prodrive pulled out because of money why else? Afterall its all about money, and there is none for them in alms......

anyway to be brutaly honest its all fucking bullshit if you ask me.

We should have a big Le Mans series. WLMS, NOT LEMS, and not ALMS.

There should be a big world championship like back in the day. Anything thats even close to that is this one Le Mans race we get once a year
Old 06-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #44
666fast
Regular User

The Corvettes are going to probably do some changes to their cars to get them just that little bit faster than the Aston's I mean they are a Factory team and have backing up the ass so there is no way they are going to let Aston pull a quicky on them that easily. but we will see...
The Vettes were way down on power. When they race here, they are supplied with 110octane race gas. At LeMans, they were given 94octane fuel. The Vettes had to lower the compression of the engine and no doubtedly, lost a lot of power.

That said, you can bet Fehan will do whatever it takes to win.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #45
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
The Vettes were way down on power. When they race here, they are supplied with 110octane race gas. At LeMans, they were given 94octane fuel. The Vettes had to lower the compression of the engine and no doubtedly, lost a lot of power.

That said, you can bet Fehan will do whatever it takes to win.
Yeah the Vettes were down quite a bit, it was interesting to watch when the Vette was 1 car length behind the 550 and could never close in with all that draft......

Were they the only team supplied with the lower octane fuel? And why?