Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-04-2005, 05:36 AM   #31
dons5
Regular User

How can the Maserati be illegal but the Saleen not be? They are both supercars, unlike the Astons, Ferraris, Vipers, Vettes, etc which are more sports cars or GT cars.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #32
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\

What does super car not super car has to do with anything man?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #33
coombsie66
Regular User

Binnie motorsport should be at Sebring with their Lola LMP2 powered by Nicholson Mclaren.
Oh, and with my good friend Adam Sharpe as a driver
http://crashnet.cars.msn.co.uk/news_...=28&nid=104054
Old 02-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #34
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by dons5
How can the Maserati be illegal but the Saleen not be? They are both supercars, unlike the Astons, Ferraris, Vipers, Vettes, etc which are more sports cars or GT cars.
Being a supercar means nothing. The body of the Maserati is too long and too wide, giving them a huge aerodynamic advantage. More downforce, faster cornering speeds and such. It's unfair to every team that busted thier butts to make sure the car they entered or built meets all requirements.
I have a feeling Maserati designed it the way they did thinking that they would recieve an exemption. It's thier fault the car can't be entered and no one elses.

Binnie motorsport should be at Sebring with their Lola LMP2 powered by Nicholson Mclaren.
Oh, and with my good friend Adam Sharpe as a driver
http://crashnet.cars.msn.co.uk/news_...=28&nid=104054
Cool! I'll be sure to keep an eye on them if I manage to watch the race!
666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #35
dons5
Regular User

well wether it is alloud to race or isnt, ALMS sucks anyways compared to FIA GT, its like watching CART and IRL compared to Formula 1.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:16 AM   #36
666fast
Regular User

Some more news on the Maserati's, I wish they would just say "yes" or "no" and put it to rest.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=176751
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 AM   #37
ikon2003
Regular User

^thanks for the update and the other info. interesting little controversy.

and fyi: widths and lengths of mc12 and s7 (street cars, via supercars.net)

MC12: length 5143 mm / 202.5 in, width 2096 mm / 82.5 in

S7: length 4774 mm / 188.0 in, width 1990 mm / 78.3 in

that's a pretty significant difference, especially considering the S7 was one of the longest and widest cars to begin with.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #38
dons5
Regular User

wow 82.5 inches wide! that must look un real in real life, is it that spoiler in the back that makes it so wide or is it actually part of the regular bodywork? And we all though the Enzo was wide at 80.1 inches lol
Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #39
666fast
Regular User

I'm not sure if it's the actual spoiler or body that makes it that wide. I do know that on the roadcar, the spoiler is considerably wider than the body though.

From German magazine "Motorsport Aktuell" (I think I spelled it right)
Maserati deal is done for alms.

1 car for Risi and 1 car for Wayne Taylor!!! (Suntrust?)

The cars are to drive with flat Underbottom, 100Kg ballast and smaller rear wing, until Maserati (supposed in the summer) brings a new MC12, which corresponds to the dimensions of the regulation.
If true, YAY! They needed the entries, so I'm glad to see them there whether they are illegal or not. Now I just wonder if they'll be eligable for points and such or if they have to wait untill the legal car shows up.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #40
666fast
Regular User

It already has it's own thread, but Maserati is indeed going to run a full season with the MC12. Risi Comptizione will run them with some help from AF Corse. They will be penalized as they need be to keep the playing field fair since the car is illegal. They will be eligable for race wins, but cannot accumulate championship points untill the legal car comes out next year.

In other news, Porsche is supposedly coming back. There is more info in the Porsche News thread over in St. Angers Porsche Central. From what I've read, it'll be announced in October. Expect to see a LMP2 car at first, once it's "developed" it'll be sold to private teams (I'm guessing Alex Job) at which point Porsche will build a LMP1 car. No one knows if it'll be a hybrid of the LMP2 car or an all new car.
Either way, Porsche is coming back and it's a good thing!

Also, for those that attend ALMS races, the Porsche GT3 cup will now race alongside the ALMS. Only a few dates have been confirmed, but I've also read that they will race at every venue the ALMS visits over the course of it's season!

Being without internet access for the past few weeks, I haven't been able to update my entry list. I'll have it done soon hopefully.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #41
dons5
Regular User

the Maserati cant get championship points, but can still win races. What in the hell is the point of that, if they cant win the championship cause they cant get points caue there car is illegal then let them run the original illegal car. Or just dont let them run at all, there trying to make it like semi legal so fuckin stupid in my oppinion. If they are gonna use the ballast and flat undebrody and that crap on he car then why shouldnt they be alloud to have points, the car is now slowed down to make things even. Is it cause technically the car is still not legal? fine then dont allow them to win races either or be in the championship in the first place. Only in an american series desperate for fans would you see a move like this, they dont want to put the current MC12 in ALMS at all if it wasnt for the fans, they need more brands in the field for more attraction for the viewers. You would never see something like this in FIA-GT.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #42
666fast
Regular User

the Maserati cant get championship points, but can still win races. What in the hell is the point of that
Probably because Maserati wanted it. The car is illegal, they were obviously goin to have to make a concession or two to get the car in. Besides, even if they can't take the championship, they can still brag about class wins. If they can get any anyway.
Remember, the car wasn't entirely legal for FIA either.

If they are gonna use the ballast and flat undebrody and that crap on he car then why shouldnt they be alloud to have points, the car is now slowed down to make things even. Is it cause technically the car is still not legal? fine then dont allow them to win races either or be in the championship in the first place
It's because the car is illegal. The MC12 has a huge advantage over the other GT1 class cars. All sides had to make this decision, it wasn't just the ALMS. The ACO and Maserati had their say as well. They all had to come to an agreement.
They also had to think of the other teams, would you be happy if you owned a team and another car came in and took the championship with an illegal car? I sure wouldn't be happy.

It's a good agreement, plain and simple. It'll be allowed to run, and if they can, take some wins which they can use for to brag how awesome thier cars are. But they cannot take a championship away froma team that DID build it's car to the regulations.

Having the Maserati's in ALMS is a win win situtation, not just for the ALMS, but for the ACO and Maserati as well. With the way it's laid out untill the legal MC12 is debuted, no one has anything to lose. The ALMS gets an entry, Maserati gets to race, the teams have more competition and the ACO is happy. All of which is good to the end consumer, the fans.

Whether you see it or not, this year is shaping up quite nicely, 2006 is looking even better.
If you choose not to enjoy it, thats your choice. I plan on watching every race I can. I'll be attending the Road America race again as well.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #43
zr2man99
Regular User

Hopefully I will get to attend BOTH road atlanta races (I love having 2 ALMS races in the season, considering I only live 40 minutes away from the track). The entry list seem to be pretty nice for this season, last season was a bit of a bummer. Speed channels coverage of the races is so much better than CBS's. I feel for ya 666fast for not getting Speed Channel. It will be interesting to see if the C6Rs are actually a whole lot better than the C5Rs. Hopefully the 2005 season will have a lot tighter competition. I still beleive Audi (such a dominating race car) will win A LOt, but hopefully the dyson boys (I have their autographs ) will give them a go. I can't wait for Sebring only 19 days. YAY!

Nice job fast with the entry lists.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #44
dons5
Regular User

ya ill almost 100 percent sure be at the Mosport race since im attending their 8 month course
Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 AM   #45
666fast
Regular User

Speed channels coverage of the races is so much better than CBS's. I feel for ya 666fast for not getting Speed Channel. It will be interesting to see if the C6Rs are actually a whole lot better than the C5Rs.

It annoys me terribly. CBS's coverage is just awfull. NBC's coverage isn't too bad, but there is a lo of room for improvement. I really want to upgrade to digital cable to get Speed channel, but it's just so damn expensive. Do i really want to pay that much to get one freakin channel? LOL

I can't wait to see the C6's take on the C5's either, the C6R's are built to tighter regulations, so it won't be too easy for them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a few C5R's take a win or two. The C6R's do have some awesome drivers though. Don't rule out the Saleens, they have already stated the new tires were a major improvement.

I think the Dysons will be on the Audi's ass all season. They have already proved that the new Michelins are much much faster. That was the major difference, the tires won the race for Audi. Dyson took pole posistion many times.

Hopefully I will get to attend BOTH road atlanta races (I love having 2 ALMS races in the season, considering I only live 40 minutes away from the track
I hope you do as well, If I lived 40 minutes away I'd sure as hell be there. Hell, if I lived in Georgia I'd probably make the trek to Sebring! Road America is really my only option for attending an ALMS race, it's about a 6 hour drive! The closest beside that is Mid Ohio I believe. I have every intention of going to the race, the guy I usually go with plans on going to Pikes Peak this summer (I might go as well), so he might not make it to Road America. If I have to go by myself, I will!

ya ill almost 100 percent sure be at the Mosport race since im attending their 8 month course
I'd love to go to Mosport!