Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-04-2004, 01:58 AM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Spark between Antonio Pizzonia and Mark Webber

Mark Webber has rekindled the animosity between himself and his prospective Williams team-mate Antonio Pizzonia.
Webber has accused Pizzonia of telling lies for saying they did not have equal cars when team-mates at Jaguar in 2003.

"He knows he's told lies. He says his car was different to mine? If he really thinks that, then he's a loser.

"The truth is that Antonio was fast in testing but couldn't repeat it in races," Webber told Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"This year when he replaced (Marc) Gene in Ralf Schumacher's Williams he raced well, but he didn't have much pressure to bear because he had nothing to lose. Things change when you're a starter, especially when you're in a Williams."

Pizzonia, Williams' official test driver, is the hot favourite to fill the team's vacant second race seat alongside Webber.

The team have a position to fill after they lost out in a legal battle with BAR for the services of Jenson Button.

Button admits Williams error
The row between Webber and Pizzonia has its roots in the Brazilian's disappointing performance at Jaguar.

Webber comprehensively outpaced him, and Pizzonia was sacked midway through the season and replaced by Briton Justin Wilson, who also failed to match the Australian.

Williams give Heidfeld more time
Pizzonia faces opposition from German Nick Heidfeld for the Williams drive, with David Coulthard's chances looking slim.

Webber said he regretted Williams' failure to land Button.

"It's too bad because Jenson showed with BAR that he's a great professional."

-----------------Source from BBC Sports---------------------------------
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4066115.stm
Old 12-04-2004, 02:15 AM   #2
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Hope Nick Heidfeld gets the seat over Pizzonia.
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
possessed_beaver
Regular User

wow, webber gets a drive with a big F1 outfit, and develops an attitude,

im not sure if he had bad intent when said it, or it has been taken out of context...

intresting little cat fight, webber recentley said sir frank asks for his opinion on who he would like as his next driver.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
tekwar
Regular User

In all fairness to webber, he did out perform antonio is just about every race they had together at jaguar, not much of a competition. Although antonio did prove that he could perform this season, it is yet to be seen how consistently he can do it. With the added pressure of having webber as a teammate again, he might crack again. I woiuld personally love to see nick as his teammate just to give Webber an experience proven fast driver and see how he compares to him. If he continues the trend and beats heidfeld, we will then know exactly how good webber is.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:21 AM   #5
stracing
Regular User

could that be a bit of patriotism there dani?

when webber said he was a loser...i thought he was a changed man
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
tekwar
Regular User

Never thought much of antonio, but he has proven to have either improved this season or perhaps under the right circumstance (no pressure), he can peform. Didnt really follows De La Rosa too closely, but to be honest, he seemed to be on par with Klien now.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
tekwar
Regular User

haha he was just trying to show off, but yeah that was pretty bad. Not something you expect from an "f1 caliber" driver.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 AM   #8
biff19_a
Regular User

hey everyone messes up once every so often... personally Heidfeld is the guy i hope gets the job... after being screwed out of it be Jordan last year
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
gearhead250gto
Regular User

Heidfeld should get the seat over Pizzonia. Webber said that Pizzonia is a good tester, so just leave Pizzonia as a tester. A lot of people are attacking Webber for what he said, but I can't blame him. He is no doubt frustrated about hearing the comments from Pizzonia about the differences in the car. It has been brought up to him often and he is just tired of it. So he probably got angry from hearing it over and over. And I don't believe Webber's car was "better" because every team in F1 wants to win races and get points. Why would Jaguar handicap themselves when they could have gotten more points. It doesn't add up and Pizzonia is just making excuses to cover up his dismal results at Jaguar. I saw that video of him in the Jag with the journalist. That was funny. I never thought highly of him and I think that Heidfeld would be a far better choice than Pizzonia. He is more experienced and more deserving.
gearhead250gto is offline   Reply With Quote