Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #61
gucom
Regular User

yeah AFAIK the WRC impreza still has a 2.0l engine, you'd have t oask the experts though...

about suzuki joining, yeah not the most spectacular car in WRC but i don't care, the more different cars the merrier eh? now all that needs to happen is to get VW or audi into WRC...but they've already got skoda so its not gonna happen (btw i love the fabia WRC)

and about ford and its competition, i think (hope) things wont keep going well forever for Ford...not that i dislike ford or grönholm or anything, i just like some good competition
Old 02-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #62
redbaron
Regular User

The concept car of the SX4 WRC doesn't look that bad. They will present this WRC concept together with the normal road version at the Geneva motorshow

:arrow: http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.p...ew=news_detail

#### edit ####

Comeback of Marko Martin!!!!
babelfished from http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.p...ew=news_detail
As the estnische newspaper ' Autoleht ' reports, Markko Maertin will already begin group in the coming month with the Rally de Portugal with a n-Subaru. After the WM retreat the Este Markko Maertin new tasks dedicated itself. After the establishment of the ' Subaru - E.O.S. Rally team ' and a successful season prelude at the beginning of January, where Martin Rauam fifth and team colleague Rainer became out ninth, wants to reach the former Peugeot Werksfahrer now again into the steering wheel. Thus the 30-jaehrige with group a n-Subaru will start with the Rally de Portugal from 16-18 March, with a second vehicle is Martin Rauam and its front seat passenger Kristo Kraag to drive, which will celebrate the first international employment. On the passenger seat of Markko Maertin the Britisher David senior place will take, which last among other things denied the Production Car WRC with Alister McRae
Good to see him back at the wheel of a rallycar

Own championship for S2000?
babelfished from http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.p...ew=news_detail
In order to bring the Super2000-Kategorie in momentum, the FIA plans to bring a new championship into being, which is to take place on three continents. The world union sets not only on the support of the manufacturers, but also on assistance of euro sport. The TV transmitter seems to show interest in the series, which is to take place first in Europe, Africa and Asia. Planned are for the time being only much runs: Into the benefit of the new vehicles the Rallye South Africa, larva Irish Republican Army, San Remo and China is to come. After the failure of the plans to already integrate the Super2000 in this year in the PWRC the FIA seems to want to use now this possibility, in order to make tasty the new vehicle category for interested manufacturers. So far only FIATS and Toyota operated the development of S2000, whose cars are to receive their Homologation on 1 March. On that Geneva autosalon is tested industriously Peugeot a Super2000-Studie new 207 to present, with Renault the Logan in the running trim and even the development of a Polo S2000 advanced so far by a South African private team could take place soon factory-installed. FIAT wants to use the Punto in the Italian championship. To tax Paolo Andreucci and Andrea Navarra the development will advance. Also over the start of Giandomenico Basso in the European championship in Italy loud and persistent keeps themselves the rumor is thought that Colin McRae starts with the Rallye Ireland with the small Flitzer.
The Peugeot S2000 concept will be pretty interesting
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #63
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

It doesnt look bad at all, it resembles me the fabia WRC quite a lot actually
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #64
redbaron
Regular User

Originally Posted by fsandys
Sorry if I am reposting this question but I've been all through this topic and a quick search of rest of forum.

The new Subaru is a 2.5l instead of 2.0l, have the WRC rules changed? Whenever I've seen a review of rally cars before the reviewer has often stated 'this is all from a 2.0l engine to conform to the rules of rallying'.

Or is this just for the road version, or what?
The 2.5l version is only for the road version. The USA-spec Impreza Turbos allready had 2.5l engines for years. You're right about the rules of rallying saying the engine needs to be based on a 2.0l. Subaru still has the 2.0l base version of the Impreza, which probably is the homologation for their WRCengine.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #65
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Although the topic that Im going to present, I think that its worth commenting about the next car

As far as I know its a fiat stilo with the integrale engine, suspensions, brakes.... updated to the WRC rules although the car is not homologated to compete as a WRC cars; however, it competes in the italian regional championship and it seems that its efficiency is not too far from a WRC considering that its a handmade car
Old 02-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #66
fsandys
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ford Capri 2.8i
... with the integrale engine, suspensions, brakes....
That's all I need to hear! I want one!
fsandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #67
redbaron
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by redbaron
Subaru still has the 2.0l base version of the Impreza, which probably is the homologation for their WRCengine.
Well - I don't think they need an engine to homologate the WRC... just take a look at the Skoda Fabia - there's no 2.0 engine in the Skoda line-up... even when the car was designed, the 2.0 FSI from VW was still on the paper!

However, one think is clear... while the STi has the 2.5 litre engine, the WRC has the 2.0
There is a 2.0l engine in the Fabia line-up, the 2.0l 4 cylinder, 85Kw/170Nm engine since 2000

The WRC rules in a nutshell:
-The basic engine used in competition must come from the same model range of cars. Turbochargers may be obtained from outside the company and fitted even if the manufacturer's model range does not have a turbocharged engine. I thought the standard engine block is used and some components like the waterpump etc.
- At least 25.000 production cars need to be build of the basic model,with a minimum length of 3750mm. (Peugeot 206 for instance)
- At least 2500 production cars need to be build of the specific model of which the WRC is derived. with a minimum length of 4000mm (!) and a minimum wheel base of 2440 mm. (The reaseon why Peugeot builded the 206 2.0 GT)
- The minimum weight of the car 1230kgs without the driver and co- driver on board.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #68
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Exactly, thats why the 206 GT was built, after the FIA aproved the Pugs request, since SEAT wasnt allowed to produce 2500 units of a 4 meter long Ibiza in order to homologate a Seat Ibiza WRC(that why therefore Seat decided to launch the cordoba WRC instead); however, probably dani does know the my last comment about seat in a more accurate way
Old 02-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #69
redbaron
Regular User

Suzuki confirmed their WRC entry for the 2007-2008 season, which starts in august 2007. I already posted a pic of their WRC concept in this tread.

:arrow: http://www.wrc.com/page/News/Breakin...795500,00.html
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #70
gucom
Regular User

im not a member...
but that's good news, not really a surprise after that picture they released...we need more manufacturers in WRC
Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #71
redbaron
Regular User

Panizzi quits from Redbull Skoda

:arrow: http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.php?

babelfished story:
Gilles Panizzi will not start for Redbull Skoda in Corsica. After the weak result in Spain the Frenchman threw surprisingly the towel.

"I would not like to drive the Redbull Skoda anymore", avowed opposite Panizzi the franzoesichen L'Equipe. "I do not want to deal the risk anymore to land over at the end with place ten."

In Spain the Frenchman came never correctly into his driving and constantly deplored problems with the Setup of the small Fabia. The driven times varied strongly, Panizzi could occasionally the Pace of the point go along, lost a little later however again enormously at soil. On the last examination it lost even still the respected 8th place to Petter Solberg.

At Redbull Skoda they must now rapidly find a substitute for Panizzi , which will take the Rallye Corsica (7 until 9 April) in the second Fabia WRC in attack. An appropriate request for driver changes is already submitted with the FIA.

Whether the refusal Panizzis means the end of its career at the same time, is still uncertain. There are offers few for the Frenchman, who deplores the current condition of the world championship. "is you at present in a low. There are too few works, but too many paying drivers in private teams ", thus Panizzi.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #72
redbaron
Regular User

According to Redbull it was something between the two Panizzi brothers that decided them to leave the team
:arrow: http://www.wrc.com/page/News/Breakin...809260,00.html

Rally Family Break-Up
Rallying's most successful brother/brother partnership, Gilles and Herve Panizzi, has ended after over 10 years of professional rallying, in which they together gained seven FIA World Rally Championship rally victories and competed in 71 events. According to a Red Bull Skoda team official, deteriorating in-car relationships have been blamed for the decision, after erratic performances in the recent Catalunya Rally. The decision of the brothers not to compete again together has come at a difficult moment for the team, on account of Gilles' reluctance to start a relationship with another co-driver at short notice before the forthcoming Rally de France - Tour de Corse.
The Panizzi brothers celebrated rally wins three times in Sanremo (a region from which their family originated several generations ago), twice in Corsica and twice in Catalunya, always in Peugeot 206WRC cars. They went on to drive for two years with Mitsubishi. Their recent performances have been inconsistent however, with the exception of Rallye Monte Carlo, where they finished an impressive sixth and third in the Lancer in the last two years.
The Panizzis had a limited world championship programme this year, concentrating on the all-asphalt events. Red Bull Skoda officials are seeking permission to change their nominated driver for Corsica, for which they have been asked to seek consent from the other registered teams before announcing their replacement driver. An announcement is expected later today (Thursday).
Old 03-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #73
redbaron
Regular User

Now Rovanperra will drive the Redbull Skoda:
:arrow: http://www.passion4wheels.nl/index.p...274&Itemid=285
The Red Bull Skoda Team is delighted to announce the signing of Finland's Harri Rovanpera for the remaining seven WRC events. He will take over from Gilles Panizzi with immediate effect, already going into action in Corsica, where he will be celebrating his 40th birthday in style on Saturday, the second leg of the rally.

"This surely has to be my best birthday present ever. I hope I will be fast not only on the gravel rallies, but also perform well for my new team on tarmac," an always cheerful "Dirty Harri", as he is affectionately known by his fans, explains. In his last rally the previous year, Rovanpera finished second in Australia, the Finn's greatest success came with a win in Sweden 2001.

The early departure of Gilles and Herve Panizzi is down to private family matters. Andreas Aigner, who has driven his first truly flawless rally in Spain, will arrive in Corsica well-prepared on that score: "I've gained a lot of tarmac experience in Spain, now I have to try and continue to put this knowledge into practice in Corsica. I'm already looking forward to working together with my new teammate, I hope we'll cooperate well."

354.18 competitive kilometres over twelve special stages

The 50th Rallye de France Tour de Corse gets under way on Thursday, April 6th, with a ceremonial start in Ajaccio, Place de Austerlitz, at 8 p.m. From Friday through Sunday (April 7th – 9th), twelve special stages over a competitive distance of 354.18 kilometres are scheduled. The overall length of the rally amounts to 1,045.68 kilometres, with the finish on Sunday expected at 1.50 p.m. in Ajaccio.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #74
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Anyone else feel bad for Gronholm? I feel like he could take the title with ease if he didnt have such bad luck..

WRC really makes me wish I was a Finn so I could have a chance at becoming a Rally hero
Old 03-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #75
Daggernite
Regular User

Yeah I feel bad for Gronholm too, im almost certain that if the turbo's had'nt of blown he would have won catalunya.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote